Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-12-2013, 08:22   #1
h20

Motor sailor? 2 ft draft 26 ft

what do you all think about a 26 foot motor sailer as first sail boat?
don't know for trips to Dry Tortugas? BUT the 2 foot draft sounded real good for slithering around harbors!

Old 19-12-2013, 17:09   #2

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ
Re: Motor sailor? 2 ft draft 26 ft

Would that be a Mcgregor 26?

Old 19-12-2013, 17:16   #3

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

I know where there is a 1981 25' Bayfield with 2'9" draft, new sails, sail pack, diesel, ST60 depth and speed, A1000 pilot. Bottom being sanded now and needs someone to complete the blister repair and Interlux barrier/painting. St Augustine.
Old 19-12-2013, 20:37   #4
h20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Would that be a Mcgregor 26?

why yes it is
Old 19-12-2013, 22:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Did you give up on the Catalina vs Hunter 34 idea?

The MacGregor is an entirely different kind of boat (a trailerable) and there are several 26 foot models. I suppose you are asking about the one that you can mount a very large outboard to the back and use as a powerboat. It will be a compromise between a sailboat and a powerboat.
Old 20-12-2013, 20:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Did you do a search and find this?

About the Macgregor 26: Easiness, SAILING speed
Old 20-12-2013, 22:56   #7

Tortugas is definitely doable with a Mac. There are several You Tube videos documenting a 26M going to the Dry Tortugas. I also recall seeing a lengthy thread on MacGregorSailors of several Macs (various models) travelling there in a group. There are many Macs that cross to the Bahamas on a regular basis.

Personally, I've never had my 26x more than 20 miles offshore but that's just because I have not wanted to go anywhere that required it. I've spent as much as a week on it at a time, sailing all day, anchoring in a different location each night and never touching land. I know that is still quite a short time compared to what many others do but that is about as long as I can reasonably be away from work without my clients or employees getting uncomfortable so it works for me.

When I was looking for another sailboat I made a list of everything I realistically wanted to do with it and then I looked for the boat that would fit my plan. For me that came down to the 26M or the 26X and finally purchased the "X" model. It is certainly not fast under sail and does not point as well as I would like, but I enjoy sailing it and otherwise it does everything I want it to do. If I want to go fast, or sail close to the wind (or both) I take my Prindle. If I want to relax I use the Mac.

I'd recommend that you come up with a (semi) realistic plan of what you would like to do with your new boat and then look for the boat that will let you do it. Once you decide what is important to you the list of potential boats will get shorter. For me, being able accommodate several people for at least a week, to pull the boat up on the beach and trailer it with a vehicle that I could afford to drive every day were near the top of the list. That eliminated all fixed keel, extremely heavy and extremely small boats. All boat designs are a compromise. The key is to find the one that incorporates features that are important to you and compromises in areas that are not important to you.

Good luck with your search.
Old 21-12-2013, 10:34   #8
h20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Tortugas is definitely doable with a Mac. There are several You Tube videos documenting a 26M going to the Dry Tortugas. I also recall seeing a lengthy thread on MacGregorSailors of several Macs (various models) travelling there in a group. There are many Macs that cross to the Bahamas on a regular basis.

Personally, I've never had my 26x more than 20 miles offshore but that's just because I have not wanted to go anywhere that required it. I've spent as much as a week on it at a time, sailing all day, anchoring in a different location each night and never touching land. I know that is still quite a short time compared to what many others do but that is about as long as I can reasonably be away from work without my clients or employees getting uncomfortable so it works for me.

When I was looking for another sailboat I made a list of everything I realistically wanted to do with it and then I looked for the boat that would fit my plan. For me that came down to the 26M or the 26X and finally purchased the "X" model. It is certainly not fast under sail and does not point as well as I would like, but I enjoy sailing it and otherwise it does everything I want it to do. If I want to go fast, or sail close to the wind (or both) I take my Prindle. If I want to relax I use the Mac.

I'd recommend that you come up with a (semi) realistic plan of what you would like to do with your new boat and then look for the boat that will let you do it. Once you decide what is important to you the list of potential boats will get shorter. For me, being able accommodate several people for at least a week, to pull the boat up on the beach and trailer it with a vehicle that I could afford to drive every day were near the top of the list. That eliminated all fixed keel, extremely heavy and extremely small boats. All boat designs are a compromise. The key is to find the one that incorporates features that are important to you and compromises in areas that are not important to you.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks, A lot to consider!

Tags
draft, motor, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: