Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2018, 18:31   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Motion Sickness Gadget (may it work?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sounds nuts, but I bought ours on Ebay.
It was shipped from a pharmacy in Cyprus to the US, where it can’t be bought.
Go figure
There are online pharmacies in Canada that will ship stugeron to us addresses. Actually comes from the UK. It takes a few weeks. Be careful to order tbe 15mg dose and not the 75mg.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 22:55   #17

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
This Reliefband got a great review in PBO recently.
Apparently developed for people on Chemo.
I see they have a new style one as well that looks like a Fit-Bit or something.
Anyone else tried one?

https://www.reliefband.com/
Yes, used it for chemo and resulting car sickness in traffic. I am not subject to sea sickness, but it helped my chemo nausea. I’ll keep it on the boat for those times when guests feel queasy. Hint: I found saliva works as effectively as the lubricant they recommend. And I opted for the original, not the new version.

Cheers,

F.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

a64-
"Sounds nuts, but I bought ours on Ebay.
It was shipped from a pharmacy in Cyprus to the US, where it can’t be bought.
Go figure"
Very simply put, they are smuggling. It is also illegal to import the banned substance here, but they are playing the odds that Customs doesn't know their name and can't inspect every package. If they eventually start losing them in transit, that's just the price of doing business. Assuming of course that it really is what they say it is.

When I found that scop was still commonly sold in the UK and former UK colonies, on the shelves, I tried to find a UK pharmacy that would ship to the US. Nope, no luck. They won't play that lottery.

Neville-
The new style Relief Band is a rechargeable USB device, the older ones took two coin cells. Given how common USB chargers and power banks are these days, easier than trying to keep track of coin cells, and probably more water-resistant. I'd expect the guts of the unit are identical, and that the new one would work exactly the same as the old ones do.
When you turn it up to "5" it can feel like a rat chewing on your tendons. I ask you, isn't that really a peachy keen beautiful feeling, compared to seasickness?(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:29   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

You can legally buy scope in USA with a prescription. At USA prices of course.

As to the Relief Band, fat chewing on a nerve. That might explain my Wife’s demeanor when sailing, but apparently still better than sea sickness. I don’t know, not so afflicted, yet.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:47   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"You can legally buy scope in USA with a prescription."
Yes and no. You can buy the pricey PATCHES but you can no longer buy just the drug, just the pills. They went off the market around 1990? over date rape concerns, and then one pharmacy started to produce them again by RX only under the brand name Scopace. And then they stopped because of insufficient demand--at very reasonable price though.
But if you want pills, so you get an 8-hour dose instead of an expensive 3-day patch...AFAIK they still are totally unavailable here.
The US dose for pills was 0.4mg and the UK dose is 0.3mg (unless I've got that backwards) and I remember asking a pharmacist back in the day, was the dose accounting for body weight or anything else? He said no, the dose was for "one brain, eight pounds more or less" so they didn't adjust dosage.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 13:30   #21

I've ordered Stugeron twice in the US from this Canadian outfit recommended by John Neal of the Mahina Expedition. Pills came in about a month. They were the 25mg. I usually start with a whole pill and then take half pills.

I also find it helps a lot to start the pills the night before leaving. It gets it into your system.

https://www.canadadrugsonline.com/DrugMoreInfo5659.aspx

This page on seasickness on the Mahina site is about the best I've ever seen on the subject:

Mahina Expeditions - Offshore Cruising Instruction: Seasickness
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 13:44   #22

More info on the device. They are investigating it for military applications including when using VR headsets (so you can get seasick from a video screen?).

They say they are planning double blind studies with Land Rover.

https://www.defenseone.com/technolog...litary/152960/
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 14:30   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Ann, where do you get Stugeron outside the uk? I agree it’s easily the best, but it’s not here in NZ.
You can get Cinnarizine / Stugeron in NZ from Eden Epsom Pharmacy. You have to get a prescription and the lead time is about 8 weeks. The pharmacist will advise how the prescription needs to be worded for her to order the correct dosage etc.
martinz is offline   Reply With Quote