Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2014, 14:41   #1

Most Sea kindly Blue Water w Shoal Draft

My husband & I plan to retire, live aboard & sail from Maine to Florida & when I become more skilled, the Bahamas & back every season. Husband is a very capable sailor & he can also repair anything, except some electronics. I am not but am eager to learn. We are looking for a used 46'-52' under $500,000, that could be sailed single handedly, if needed, & sleep 6.

I've found the Hinckley, Morris, & Alden's to be the most appealing with the exception of their interior volume. That led me to the Oyster, Najad, Malo, Nautor Swan, Hallberg-Rassy group. My husband likes a steel Dutch boat! I also looked at the Jeanneau's for all their space.

Can anyone chime in with their own personal live aboard experiences with any of these boats? Have you explored the Bahamas in them?

Thanks in advance. This forum is a fantastic resource. Happy sailing!
Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 15:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Most Sea kindly Blue Water w Shoal Draft

We regularly cruise from Maine to the Bahamas seasonally; however, we are poking about and taking short hops instead of a long passage. We enjoy our 4'3" draft, but it's a compromise to "sea kindliness". You may do well with a six foot draft in the Bahamas, but you'll often be anchoring further out. A stout dinghy with no less than 15hp can quickly make up for a little more distant anchorage.
Old 21-02-2014, 15:12   #3

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

With the budget you mention in your post you should have no trouble finding a wonderful boat that meets your needs. You might want to drop a line to John Kreschmer jrkretschmer@gmail.com. He does yacht deliveries for a living and is the author of several great books on ocean passages. He would have experience on many, if not all of the boats you mention in your post. He would also have a depth of experience in the cruising areas you mention. Good luck!
Jenunn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 15:14   #4

For your cruising grounds, air draft is perhaps more important than water draft. Most bridges on the US East Coast are 65' clearance (some 64'). You'll find many boats in your size range won't fit.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 15:30   #5
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Boreal
Ovni
Southerly

EDIT

Also kind of like the Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 379. Check the picks online. high and dry
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 16:48   #6

I am new to sailing, but am scouring everything I can to learn more. The majority of the "Shannon" line fits under your very generous price range (used) and they are designed to be single handed. Plus, it seems most come with a centerboard option. Amazing craftsmanship.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
gaspass3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 17:07   #7

Boat: Island Packet 27

CarlF is right on. If you want to make any part if the trip on the ICW bridge clearance is important. I'd keep it around 60 feet or so. I don't like the ICW either but sometimes the weather pushes you in. I met a couple in West Palm who were waiting for a weather window for over 2 weeks because they had purchased a boat with a mast that was close to 70'.
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 17:29   #8

Captforce, good to know.
CarlF, yes unfortunately some compromise is needed.
SaltyMonkey, I'll check those out tomorrow, they're also on Mahina's short list.
Gaspass3, like the Shannons too, nice boats!
Captaintim1, would love to do it all, if only I could find the ONE.
To all, thank you, thank you for the info & assistance!
Old 22-02-2014, 13:19   #9

If you just prefer expensive boats then your list is a good one but these boats are built extremely well and are capable of extensive offshore use which is not what your plans are calling for. Also keep in mind that Johns lists of suggested boats (Mahina's) do not include any of the French boats or the German boats. As you know many of these boats are sailing offshore successfully so might be something to consider for more localized sailing. John is just like the rest of us, he's quite bias in many ways and he personally doesn't like any of the production boats built with internal liners hence they don't show up on his approved list.
For the type of sailing your looking at as well as your budget you have an endless list of boats to consider. Your problems are those that most folks on this forum would just love to have, good luck.

PS That Beneteau 57 CC is a pretty nice cruiser that would do a good job for you, take a peak at one.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 14:09   #10
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Also keep in mind that Johns lists of suggested boats (Mahina's) do not include any of the French boats or the German boats.
Really? Like

Alubat (Ovni)
Allures
Amel
Amphitrite
Boreal
Centurion
Dufour
Garcia - nice
Gladiateur
Hood
Pretorien

You make me laff so hard my pants fall down hahaha
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 18:27   #11

Well, I've spent a good part of the day admiring Southerly's thanks to SaltyMonkey's suggestion & Distant Shores big sell videos! I'm already there in spirit just a little leary about the keel issues. Thanks robert sailor for your input. I certainly don't just prefer expensive boats, (nor wasting my very hard earned savings needlessly), I prefer meeting my needs & therefore value your opinion.
Old 22-02-2014, 19:38   #12

Boat: Beneteau 393

When I think of blue water and shoal draft, I think Island Packet.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 23:32   #13

Salty you got me there, I meant to say the major French/German production builders Beneteau/Jeaneau /Bavaria/Hanse
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 23:38   #14

Boat: Island Packet 27

I like Island Packets as well... But My opinion is a little biased since I live on one. I really do like the shallow draft. I also like the Shannon's with the swing keel. To have a 42' boat drawing 4 feet with the keel up is invaluable when talking about the ICW or the Bahamas. So many times I would have been in trouble or couldn't have gone where I wanted if I was drawing over 6 feet.
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 00:34   #15

Would a Sabre have any business being on this list? They also have a centreboard option. Wondering for myself as well!!!
Yamamike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft, water