Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2012, 17:09   #1

Morgan vs Gulfstar

Looking for a comfortable cruiser and draft less than 6' for cruising Florida & Bahamas. Have looked at 44' Morgan and 47' Sailmaster and accept that will not win any races with either one but just want to sip a pina colada in safety and comfort. Any ideas or opinions which is the better construction and better sailing?
sailor 0516
sailor0516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:30   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Morgan vs Gulfstar

We looked at a Morgan 44 and upon taking it for a sea trial decided it was not the boat for us. I've been in other center cockpit boats that I felt fine on- the Morgan wasn't one of these. Too much motion for me and that was in benign conditions. I haven't sailed a Sailmaster but have been aboard 2 owned by friends. Really nice living accomodations but I do know both had lots of surprises to deal with- get a good surveyor.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:38   #3

Boat: Columbia 41

I live on my Columbia 41. It is about the same size as a Morgan 41. It has a very light and open interior. At my age, it's like my ideal woman: kinda wide, a little slow, has an easy motion and is very forgiving. You can find Columbias on the web for about $30k.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:50   #4

Boat: Morgan 41 OI

I have a Morgan 41 OI Ketch. Heavy, relativley slow but gets you there in comfort. Plenty of room below and with a full enclosure topside quite dry. I find her to handle the seas with no problems. With the large fuel and water tanks she can stay at sea or anchor for a considerable time. IMHO of course
C4 King Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 19:00   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV

Check out the Gulfstar 50. They'll sail much better than either of those, are hugely comfortable at sea and at anchor, and have a very cruiser friendly interior. Also, for southern cruising, the GS50 has 12 opening portlights and 4 big hatches.

They're also rated by John Kretschmer as one of the Top 10 used boats for a circumnavigation.

Of course, I'm biased as I've sailed mine to the Caribbean and back twice and have also done ocean passages on Little Harbors and Hallberg Rassy's. While the latter boats are great boats, the Gulfstar50 sails just as well at sea and would only carry about 15-30% of the price tag of those boats.

My $0.02

Colin
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 19:56   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 King Cobra View Post
I have a Morgan 41 OI Ketch. Heavy, relativley slow but gets you there in comfort. Plenty of room below and with a full enclosure topside quite dry. I find her to handle the seas with no problems. With the large fuel and water tanks she can stay at sea or anchor for a considerable time. IMHO of course
+1 on the Morgan Out Island - solid, slow and reliable. A lot of full time cruising friends of mine have them and say they like living and cruising on them.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulfstar, morgan