Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2011, 17:43   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 41
Re: Morgan Sailboats

Having just purchased the Morgan Classic 41 a few months ago, I love my Morgan! It has a fin keel with skeg rudder, turns, tacks and sails to weather when I have to. In fact, she's sails beautifully! She is comfortable enough to live on full time and I can handle the boat solo when I need to. It was well taken care of, this is key for ANY used boat of any vintage,mine is one of the Morgalinas, Morgan built by Catalina.

https://picasaweb.google.com/capmjw/...12653983612770

https://picasaweb.google.com/capmjw/...06637830401666

https://picasaweb.google.com/capmjw/...07309381431874

https://picasaweb.google.com/capmjw/...12667920185618

sorry for the links instead of posting pics here, tried but I'm a cruiser, not a techie! lol!!
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 21:05   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

Well MJ, you have certainly turned that Morgan arround! She looks real nice and i sincerely wish you fair trade winds and flat oceans!
niel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 04:54   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner View Post
Having just purchased the Morgan Classic 41 a few months ago, I love my Morgan! It has a fin keel ................
What a beauty! 'though I don't think many would call that a fin keel. Certainly the Morgan Classic has many design upgrades over my 413. I'm sure she can't be in Silver Springs, Fl. The photos make me think she's up the Pamlico in North Carolina. We often stop by at "little" Washington. Oh, now I see,...the formerly red 1988 "Elusive" from Belhaven. You sure made it pretty! Maybe we'll see you on the water.
Old 22-07-2011, 05:12   #19

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

VERY nice. First thing wife noticed is your rooster. We have a similar one
Old 22-07-2011, 06:47   #20

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Thanks for the compliments ALL! Yes the boat is on Jordan Creek ( Belhaven) right now, have a home in Silver Springs, she will be ported out of Port Orange Fl when we return from the Bahamas next summer. Yes, she was formerly Elusive, and was well taken care of by the PO, but I wanted to put our "stamp" on her and sort of bring her into the new century in her look. And finally, yep, roosters, and sunflowers down below. Looks like Kansas in the salon, 'cept we're not in Kansas anymore! We are living our dream!
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 07:20   #21

Boat: 72' Morgan 41' O/I

Thanks for the input! As I inspect the current system today I am trying to take good inventory. We practically removed all wires and lights, most were DC. Not sure about direction for a battery bank. I originally planned to add 110v and 12v system but now leaning towards inverter and DC. Should I run everything back to the main breaker or add a junction box towards the bow? Does it have to be Marine grade wire?
Busted flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 08:07   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted flush View Post
............. Does it have to be Marine grade wire?
My opinion,- yes and no. I would suggest that you use a well insulated braided wire that is more than minimal AWG#, but not necessarily sold as "marine". Tinned wire will be to your advantage. Do not use the standard household "Romex" (NM) cable.
Old 23-07-2011, 10:52   #23

Boat: Morgan 43 CC

We love our 1986 model 43 Morgan CC. She sails great and is a wonderful liveaboard. Couldn't be happier.
Cookie-212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 17:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I would advise you not to buy the wire at West Marine.
How would you rewire a Morgan like that. I would think the wire is fasstened along its path and so you could not pull a new one through with it. To rewire do you have to take walls apart?
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 05:56   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov View Post
How would you rewire a Morgan like that. I would think the wire is fasstened along its path and so you could not pull a new one through with it. To rewire do you have to take walls apart?
I've rewired much of my Morgan. Many of the runs for the wiring are at the bases of lockers and behind cabinetry, but still with easy access. It's true that the wiring is not freely moving through conduits, but as for walls to take apart, I'm not clearly understanding. My Morgan has no "walls" and no wiring behind any headliners.

Tags
morgan, sail