Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-11-2012, 13:58   #31

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: Morgan Out Island 41 vs. the Pacific Ocean?

I was surprised how well my Ingrid 38 tacked with it's full keel. Docking it down-wind though was nothing short of a controlled crash...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 13:35   #32

Boat: MorganByCatalina OutIslandClassic '41
Re: Morgan Out Island 41 vs. the Pacific Ocean?

Is this thread still going without addressing the topic? I have an OI 41 Classic. It goes upwind fast enough for me and it goes downwind like a freight train. That is completely beside the O/P's point.

I have sailed in the Pacific having learned on a Catamaran in Hawaii in the 1960s. I've sailed the California's Channel Islands. I've crossed the bar and sailed up the Columbia River to Portland. I've sailed all over the Chesapeake Bay and a bit of the Carribean.

I still don't know if my OI41 Classic can handle the not-so-Pacific Ocean. I'm not worried about hull flex or speed. I'm worried about seaworthiness. I want to know that it will stand back up after a knock-down. I want to know if it will stay relatively dry inside. I want to know if those cockpit drains are adequate.

I've read tons of passage logs and it seems like nobody goes out for 20 or more days without breaking stuff. I want to know, what breaks on an OI 41.

Is there anyone on this forum who has made a Pacific passage in a 1980's vintage OI41? If not, I'll let you know how it went in a few years.

Happy Sailing
Captain Dana S/V One Love
'87 OI 41 Classic

CaptainDana is offline   Reply With Quote

morgan, morgan out island, Pacific Ocean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: