Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2008, 14:32   #1

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Morgan OI 30 - more info. wanted

I'm already considering options for my next boat and am thinking of trading down to something a bit more basic and the Morgan Out Island 30 is one of the boats on my short list. I know of it's general reputation, but would love to hear more about handeling characteristic, typical issues, and thing to check into should I check one out.

One thing I'm a little concerned about given it's keel, is manuvering at a dock. It's not a huge concern as I tend to anchor out pretty much all the time when crusing, but still, I'd like to know more. The boat will be used primarily for cruises of 1-4 months in Florida and Bahamas. Most cruising will be with 2-3 people on board with 4 possible at times as well as some solo sailing. I may end up keeping it in the Bahamas.

I know that like most old heavy displacement boats, they don't point well and need some wind to get them going. Any other information appreciated.

A few specific questions that come to mind:

Manuvering under power - marinas, ICW bridges, etc.

Access to thru-hulls, and other system, including typical linings and access to deck fittings.

Leaking

How well does chain go into the anchor locker

Visibility from cockpit
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 22:58   #2

I would not consider a Morgan OI 30 to be a heavy displacement boat; its specs say displacement is 9700 lbs.
A Catalina 30, for example is 500 pounds heavier, and I wouldn't consider that to be heavy displacement either.
At any rate, its not the displacement that keeps this boat from pointing well; its the design. It is round, fat and has a ton of windage. Its lines are not crispy and it has high freeboard.
There are many heavy displacement boats that point very well; and their weight, design and rig keep them tracking rather than being knocked aside or skidding which is what pointing high is all about.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 08:17   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Thanks for the reply. Any other thoughts or information are certainly appreciated.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan