Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 05:25   #1

Morgan 452 CC as a Live-Aboard, Cruising Boat

I am currently looking at purchasing a Morgan 452 to use as a live-aboard, cruiser. The list is currently 85k, and am working on negotiating the price with the owner.
My questions is this - I have heard, both positive and negative about the cruising capabilities of the OI from Morgan, not much out there on the Morgan 452 (other than dealers stating any boat 45' and above is a ocean worthy cruiser).
Just looking for a few opinions regarding this boat. Any help is appreciated.

Fair Winds!!!!!
finalfantasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Morgan 452 CC as a live-aboard, cruising boat

Was not familiar with the specifics of the 452 so looked it up. Just from the design and the fact that it has an actual keel (unlike the OI 41 that sort of has a very shallow, long keel) it should point much better than the traditional OI 41.

Morgans in general are reasonably well built but as with any older boat, I would have it carefully surveyed to confirm no major structural problems that would cost more money or time than the boat is worth.

Top areas to check that would be really expensive to repair include: moisture or delamination in the deck core, hull/deck joint, bulkhead attachment to the hull.

Secondary areas that might not be deal breakers but could add a big cost to prepping the boat to cruise: engine, standing rig, sails, wiring.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:07   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I looked into the 452s when I was shopping. I don't think there is any liveaboard issue and it will sail was one would expect for it's design. Near was I could tell it didn't have any problems "special" far as it's design and build. I even found numerous owner blogs of people who had one.

Like any older boat the $85k doesn't really mean anything without inspection and survey.

PS - I feel the OI was great boat for what it was designed to do! The 452 is different thinking and one shouldn't even think OI wen looking at the 452.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:13   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfantasea View Post
I am currently looking at purchasing a Morgan 452 to use as a live-aboard, cruiser. The list is currently 85k, and am working on negotiating the price with the owner.
My questions is this - I have heard, both positive and negative about the cruising capabilities of the OI from Morgan, not much out there on the Morgan 452 (other than dealers stating any boat 45' and above is a ocean worthy cruiser).
Just looking for a few opinions regarding this boat. Any help is appreciated.

Fair Winds!!!!!
I know that the Morgan Out Island 40 was coined the Morgan Out house 40 due to it's poor sailing capabilities.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 19:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I know that the Morgan Out Island 40 was coined the Morgan Out house 40 due to it's poor sailing capabilities.
I lived on an Outhouse 36, little brother to the 41, for a couple of years and made the thorny path to the VI a couple of times. The boat was actually a great sailor...... as long as the wind was aft of the beam.

If you wanted to go to windward you pretty much had to crank the engine.

On my fourth or fifth trip across the Gulf Stream from West Palm to West End I was determined I was going to sail across at least once in my life. 24 hours later I was in Ft Pierce a bit worse for wear.

I figured the tacking angle at least 110 degrees after allowing for leeway.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, morgan