Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2010, 15:41   #1

Morgan 38 - Thoughts ?

Any thoughts on Morgan 38's from around 1980? Solid, capable ocean cruisers? Any info would be great.
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 06:13   #2

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
A friend had one and I almost bought one--but someone snatched from me. Friend was very happy with his and cruised Mexico for a few years. Layup is very well done on the ones I have seen--better glasswork than the average production boat. I think they are often a bargain in their class for cruising purposes.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 06:32   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
It was on my short list. Couple variation over the years ... 382, 383 and finally 384. I forget the changes but I'm pretty sure the traveler moved up onto the coach roof on the 384. I like that better.

Ted Brewer design, good solid boats and at a reasonable price.

Friends have one and have been cruising the Bahamas for a couple years in it. They really like it.
Old 31-07-2010, 07:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
... Ted Brewer design, good solid boats and at a reasonable price ...
Indeed!

Jack Horner on the (Brewer) Morgan 38:

“... Construction of this series is generally sound with one known exception affecting some early 382 models. The bulkhead between the head and the main cabin was not tabbed securely to the hull. This resulted in mast loads causing hull distortions. The problem resulted in a manufacturers recall when it was discovered. I'd be surprised to find boats that have not been repaired by this late date. Reportedly, some 382 model boats were constructed of solid fiberglass and resin laminates. However, most boats were built with a sandwich method of construction using fiberglass and resin laminates over a core material. A variety of core materials were experimented with over the years. Airex foam was most often used although it is difficult, if not impossible, to determine, with certainty, the core material used without destructive testing. Some 382 and 383 models were reported to have been built using the same fire-retardant resins blamed for causing much of the osmotic blistering problems that plagued Valiant 40's and Uniflite power boats. Few 15-to 20-year-old fiberglass boat are seen without some osmotic blisters unless there has been extensive and expensive repairs. It is not uncommon to find some degree of blistering on Morgan 38s but I have not seen nor heard of a problem as extensive as the reports of the Valiant and Uniflite ...”

More ➥ BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A. - Morgan 38

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 07:15   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Good solid cruising boat. Sailed in the company of one from Michigan for seven years. He's quit now but got the same price he paid for the boat after sailing it for eight years.

Old 31-07-2010, 07:22   #6
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed!

“... The bulkhead between the head and the main cabin was not tabbed securely to the hull. This resulted in mast loads causing hull distortions. The problem resulted in a manufacturers recall when it was discovered. I'd be surprised to find boats that have not been repaired by this late date..”
I've actually seen this looking around at them - distortion that twisted the hull enough to create large cracks across interiors. be wary. Don't know about the bottoms since I never got that far. Decks seemed a bit crackly.

One thing that bothered me was the hatch on the foredeck on some, rather than on the cabin.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 15:08   #7

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383
I bought a 1982 Morgan 383 2 years ago and love it. It sails very happily in calm or heavy weather, makes our lives easier as it takes care of us. I've been updating things as I have time: lines aft, boom vang, new dodger, windlass. This 383 has the larger rudder, traveler on coach roof. There is a hatch over the forepeak cabin and a hatch over the saloon, which still opens after I installed a guarhaur boom vang, I was very happy with this! There was some water in the side decks which reduced first the purchase price and then my pocket book, but I'm very very happy with the work I had done on this. My buddy who owns a modern production boat prefers mine most of the time, unless we're partying with a large group. The one thing I saw on the 384 were 4 dorades. My experience with dorades on a boat from Nova Scotia to Bermuda was that they dripped water into the boat when the waves came over the cabin, so I'm not missing them on my Morgan. I would highly recommend a 383 or 384 anyway.
Old 15-08-2012, 15:20   #8
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Re: Morgan 38 - Thoughts ?

Dont know what price range your in but a gent im fitting with canvas has his 46 morgan for sale. Its one i havent seen the indies version o the Outisland with 6'draft. Hes a mechanical engineer and hes impeccable with his maintenance. Its going waaay below survey as he bought another boat for a song thats an amazing boat. Im me i you would lie o talk to him . Located near charleston harbor sc.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 05:34   #9

Well, you've obviously gotten a good number of positive responses. I'll just add that it is on the short list for my "next boat."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 21:52   #10

Hi
We owned a 1978 Morgan 382 for seven years and we would buy another one...They are a great boat for the money. We currently sail a Tartan 37 which we think sails better then the Morgan but has a smaller interior space....
Bill & Chris
Tartan 37 Eden
bcarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 04:04   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, RolfP.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan