Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 14:02   #1

Morgan 28 OI rudder specs

I have a 1973 Morgan 28 Out Island. Trying to mind out what the original rudder dimensions were. Not sure if mine was swapped or I am just not used to the amount of linear movement required for decent steerage on this boat. Half thinking if it is undersized I can drop it out at the end of the season and see about making it larger if needed.

At some point before I purchased it the inboard was removed, the shaft opening capped, and an outboard put on it (wondering if a 4 blade power prop might help). I am having the biggest problem when I am exiting and entering my slip, right now either I come in hot and manage to steer in alright and then have to jump out and grab stanchions to get the boat stopped before trying to climb the front of the slip, or go slow enough that I might not be able to turn and get anyone close enough to the slip fingers to get off and pull the boat in.

Overall I am quite pleased with the boat, used to stuff that doesn't sail worth beans under main alone, and this one will do that fairly well, but coming from 22' and 25' boats of my parents, this one has a lot more sail area and I am still working on learning what sails to have in place before I go out.

I will likely have other questions as well, but this is the first major thing I am trying to work through. not sure if a high torque prop might help or not. Definitely looking at remote motor controls for forward/reverse, start, kill, and choke.
novikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 14:22   #2

Re: Morgan 28 OI rudder specs

Outboard powered boats are hard to control, even worse with a larger freeboard like the OI. Reverse is useless. The other problem with outboard engine is in a wind chop or even 2-3 ft seas your prop will come in and out of the water. There are high thrust outboards available now with bigger props etc. Not sure they are much good in reverse or not.
So you are tiller steered and have to turn a lot to turn the boat? Hard to say. Not uncommon to have to turn the tiller wide.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 15:18   #3

Boat: csy 37

This link has a drawing of the hull, including rudder shape, to give you an idea. You might also google on the boat to see what other information is out there.

MORGAN OUT ISLAND 28 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:32   #4

Boat: Newport 28

I have a 9.8 Tohatsu outboard on my 28ft sailboat and it works great, ESPECIALLY in reverse. I find it a lot more controllable in reverse than my friends Irwin 32 with an inboard.
I think it has to do with the prop washing over the rudder. I also like that I can pivot the engine to get a little more turning radius if needed(usually never need it, but it's nice that the option is there.

It's worked so well in fact, that the previous owner offered to give me the old inboard engine that needs work and I turned it down. I rather have the storage and easy access.

My motor is the "extra long" shaft with the high thrust prop.(you automatically get this prop with the extra long shaft)...perhaps all you need is another prop?
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan, rudder