Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 17:34   #16

Re: More Boats Like ...

IMHO, Nothing wrong with starting with 40 ft... especially if it's a family situation! I think learning to sail in a dingy first is vastly over-rated... unless you are planning on racing! Lot's of boats in your price range... some you are mentioning are going to likely require a lot of work.... are you up for that? Personally I like the Cheoy Lee designs but I think they are among the lower end of the Chinese built boats quality wise....
It's a process, and what you are doing is part of the process, it will help you zero in on a good boat that meets your needs.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 18:57   #17

Boat: 1979 Gulfstar 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
IMHO, Nothing wrong with starting with 40 ft... especially if it's a family situation! I think learning to sail in a dingy first is vastly over-rated... unless you are planning on racing! Lot's of boats in your price range... some you are mentioning are going to likely require a lot of work.... are you up for that? Personally I like the Cheoy Lee designs but I think they are among the lower end of the Chinese built boats quality wise....
It's a process, and what you are doing is part of the process, it will help you zero in on a good boat that meets your needs.
Thanks, I have been reading more about the Cheoy Lee's all night. Love the lines and even if they are less built than say a hylas, every thing I have been reading says they are pretty solid, I do not understand why they are so low priced then, looks to be a great value for the dollar.

Its silly to compare the Pearson 424 to the CL offshore , as it they would just be generalizations. Boats of that age can vary greatly, but as a whole I am really starting to like the Lee's unless someone can convince me other wise. teak deck issues aside, they seem great.
sunblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:06   #18
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Taiwan boats such as the Cheoy Lee have gorgeous teak work inside and out. I personally love it BUT they ALL leak. Buying an older boat with teak decks will be a reoccurring nightmare and will make your live aboard experience frustrating to say the least.

Take my Slocum 37 built in Taiwan. One of the reasons I got her so cheap (under 30K) was because of her teak decks. Slocum’s are considered one of the better quality boats to come out of Taiwan but leaks plagued the previous owner and he had them all removed except for the cockpit. I am now faced with replacing all the headliner under the deck sides and two large sections on the cabin roof. Luckily he saved all the trim pieces or I’d have to call in a carpenter. Right now I’m faced with pattern making and finding matching headliner material. If you go with an older boat having teak decks you can eventually expect the same. If you are lucky the least you can expect is considerable maintenance.

Another thing to consider with older Taiwan boats is the water and fuel tanks. Most have black iron tanks and they leak. My Slocum had ALL the holding, water and fuel tanks removed for that reason. Luckily she had a new SS fuel tank installed but I am faced with replacing all the other tanks.

This and other factors considered makes a survey of this type of boat a must.

Like I said before, choose wisely.

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 13:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
Taiwan boats such as the Cheoy Lee have gorgeous teak work inside and out. I personally love it BUT they ALL leak. Buying an older boat with teak decks will be a reoccurring nightmare and will make your live aboard experience frustrating to say the least.

Take my Slocum 37 built in Taiwan. One of the reasons I got her so cheap (under 30K) was because of her teak decks. Slocum’s are considered one of the better quality boats to come out of Taiwan but leaks plagued the previous owner and he had them all removed except for the cockpit. I am now faced with replacing all the headliner under the deck sides and two large sections on the cabin roof. Luckily he saved all the trim pieces or I’d have to call in a carpenter. Right now I’m faced with pattern making and finding matching headliner material. If you go with an older boat having teak decks you can eventually expect the same. If you are lucky the least you can expect is considerable maintenance.

Another thing to consider with older Taiwan boats is the water and fuel tanks. Most have black iron tanks and they leak. My Slocum had ALL the holding, water and fuel tanks removed for that reason. Luckily she had a new SS fuel tank installed but I am faced with replacing all the other tanks.

This and other factors considered makes a survey of this type of boat a must.

Like I said before, choose wisely.

RT
Thanks for the feedback, Have you ever owed a Cheoy Lee ? from what I am reading the deck is the biggest issue. Some say though with proper care the teak decks do not leak badly, but once the pass the threshold of poor maintenance, they only way to fix it is to remove the teak. Even then though, pulling the teak should be a simple but time consuming job. Just depends on if the cored deck is rotted out, I think thats the big deal breaker.
Old 03-09-2012, 13:46   #20
cruiser

I never owned a Cheoy Lee and would advise looking into an owners forum. The teak decks were removed on my boat and what is left is non skid paint to apply. She is cored with Airex foam and did not suffer the problems associated with balsa cored decks.

If the decks leak on a prospective Cheoy Lee chances are they have migrated into the balsa core. Unless soft spots (spongeyness) are evident you will probably only know this until you remove the teak. This is a major consideration when buying a boat of this nature. Other tell tale signs will be weeping stains in the cabin.

If I was dead set on a Cheoy Lee with teak decks I would have the headliner removed in sections. Any leaks will be obvious..

RT
Old 03-09-2012, 21:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
I never owned a Cheoy Lee and would advise looking into an owners forum. The teak decks were removed on my boat and what is left is non skid paint to apply. She is cored with Airex foam and did not suffer the problems associated with balsa cored decks.

If the decks leak on a prospective Cheoy Lee chances are they have migrated into the balsa core. Unless soft spots (spongeyness) are evident you will probably only know this until you remove the teak. This is a major consideration when buying a boat of this nature. Other tell tale signs will be weeping stains in the cabin.

If I was dead set on a Cheoy Lee with teak decks I would have the headliner removed in sections. Any leaks will be obvious..

RT

Thanks, that is what I was thinking as well, I have seen several with missing woodwork on the ceiling (bulkhead?) and my first guess is leakage. I am on the cheoy lee forum but it does not seem to be very active. I love love love the looks of these boats. Reminds me of my first Harley that I saw and just had to have. spruce masts and all, I love it,. nothing beats that circular salon either.

Tricky buys though finding the right one, it may take a couple years, I see some good ones out on the west coast but that does not help me much.
Old 03-09-2012, 21:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Thanks, you are the first one to say that. Got to have room for the family, if mama's not happy nobodys happy.
Old 04-09-2012, 14:45   #23

That is the mantra I live by. Started looking at 37 ft boats...mama was not happy, 42, nope, 47...not even, 52 maybe....56 feels better, and finally 60... So mama is happy and I have a lot of work to do, which actually makes me happy. Tired but happy. I really don't mind all the work as long as she is watching, helping, or cheering me on.... or putting in extra shifts at the hospital to pay the bills! I agree with your sentiment, three kids a dog and two adults just would not work on a smaller boat for us. So I just sucked it up and went large. Now they have no excuses, that have to go with me!
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 14:48   #24

Very Very cool, cant go that large yet though, maybe if I sell the house one day maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
That is the mantra I live by. Started looking at 37 ft boats...mama was not happy, 42, nope, 47...not even, 52 maybe....56 feels better, and finally 60... So mama is happy and I have a lot of work to do, which actually makes me happy. Tired but happy. I really don't mind all the work as long as she is watching, helping, or cheering me on.... or putting in extra shifts at the hospital to pay the bills! I agree with your sentiment, three kids a dog and two adults just would not work on a smaller boat for us. So I just sucked it up and went large. Now they have no excuses, that have to go with me!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:41   #25

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
Don't forget to include the Tayana 37 in your wish list

There is a reason why they produced more than 650 of these little gems

The factory still makes new ones almost every year
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:24   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisle Spirit View Post

I will vouch for that. The Tayana 37 is very similar in hull design to my Slocum 37. It is known as one of the most circumnavigated boats in service.

Aside from its robust construction and seaworthy design her teak work is exquised.

Here are some links in sailboatlistings.com Notice the age and how they still maintain their value. This is something to consider.

Sailboat Listings sailboats for sale by owner.

If this link does not go through go to Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale and do a search.

RT
PS I would also look into the Rafiki 37. Remember, both are Formosa built and the older ones have black iron tanks. Survey is a must. But that goes for any purchase.

1976 Rafiki 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 05-09-2012, 17:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisle Spirit View Post

Thanks, they seem to be everything I am looking for
Old 05-09-2012, 19:42   #28

There is also a very active group of Tayana 37 owners on yahoo groups. There are more than 400 members and they know everything.

Perhaps you could consider joining and asking around about who might be selling

Good luck

Carlisle Spirit
Old 05-09-2012, 21:02   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblock View Post
Thanks, they seem to be everything I am looking for
They are out there...

TAYANA T37 Pilothouse Ketch in Sailboats | eBay Motors

RT
Old 05-09-2012, 21:08   #30

I'd be looking for something in a little better condition than that one if u want to do any sailing in the near future

Carlisle Spirit