Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2013, 07:01   #1

Boat: Koopmans 40 aluminum centerboard cutter
Mooring options in New York area?

What would be the best options for renting a mooring in the New York city area for the 2014 summer season? The ship is a European 40' blue water cruiser.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
SY Marelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 07:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Mooring options in New York area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Marelot View Post
What would be the best options for renting a mooring in the New York city area for the 2014 summer season? The ship is a European 40' blue water cruiser.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
How close to NYC do you want to be? Dock space in Manhattan itself is very limited and not cheap. Expect to pay USD $5-$7 per foot per night.

There are a couple of marinas across the Hudson River on the New Jersey side but I hears some may be open to the river and see a lot of wakes and rolling from the ferry traffic.

City Island is NE of NYC and offers many more options for marinas but a little further from town.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 08:01   #3

I believe that the only moorings on the island of Manhattan are at the 79th St Boat Basin on the Hudson. From what I hear there is quite a waiting list for seasonal moorings but plenty of transient moorings.

As skipmac mentioned, it's not a pleasant stay with both the Hudson's strong, alternating current as well as wake from all the commercial traffic. For all that, it is extremely convenient.

-K
Old 22-10-2013, 08:10   #4

Basically there is NO Options for moorings in the NY city area. You could get one on Long Island's north shore, or near New Rochele and even in the Sandy Hook area, but that is close as it gets.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 08:13   #5

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

Your desired proximity to Manhattan will dictate your cost. There are a few marinas in Newark Bay but again you will be in a heavily commercial area. NYC for the most part is more commercial than pleasure traffic. The ferries during rush also can be pretty tough.
Old 22-10-2013, 08:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalksp View Post
I believe that the only moorings on the island of Manhattan are at the 79th St Boat Basin on the Hudson. From what I hear there is quite a waiting list for seasonal moorings but plenty of transient moorings.

As skipmac mentioned, it's not a pleasant stay with both the Hudson's strong, alternating current as well as wake from all the commercial traffic. For all that, it is extremely convenient.

-K
Hi K

Since the OP is from Norway I'm guessing he uses the European terminology for mooring which includes docking at a marina as well as what we call a mooring in the US.

But I have also heard that the actual in the water mooring fields in NYC are very rolly. Never stayed at 79th St but I have motored up the Hudson past Manhattan and it was as rough as the Gulf Stream in a thunderstorm.
Old 22-10-2013, 08:13   #7

Well this amendment to my earlier post corrects both me and MarlinMike...

Along with the 79th St Boat Basin (Marinas : West 79th Street Boat Basin : NYC Parks), there are moorings at Hudson River Park (Moorings | Hudson River Park).

There are no moorings in the East River and for good reason.

There are moorings in Queens just past Laguardia airport as well as in New Rochelle (as mentioned above) and slips in New Jersey.
Old 22-10-2013, 08:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi K

Since the OP is from Norway I'm guessing he uses the European terminology for mooring which includes docking at a marina as well as what we call a mooring in the US.

But I have also heard that the actual in the water mooring fields in NYC are very rolly. Never stayed at 79th St but I have motored up the Hudson past Manhattan and it was as rough as the Gulf Stream in a thunderstorm.
Ah... I hadn't picked up on that. Thanks for pointing it out. In that case there are slips on either side of the Hudson, in Brooklyn out by the Rockaways, and in the places listed elsewhere in this post.

I've been on a few boats at 79th St and it is very rolly, though, somewhat mitigated when the current is flowing strong. My stays and visits on boats there (45' & 32' monohulls) were both pleasant enough.
Old 22-10-2013, 08:24   #9

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

I'm actually anchored off 79th St right now. Lots of commercial traffic, mostly fast ferries and tugs and tows. Have you considered further North up the Hudson? Tarrytown has a nice marina as well as a few more over in Rockland County, I mention Tarrytown since it's convenient to the train into the City.
Old 22-10-2013, 08:32   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
We like Port Washington
Free moorings, several clubs and marinas, great smal town, and a fast train into Penn Station
Best of both world
SB
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 08:34   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinmike View Post
Basically there is NO Options for moorings in the NY city area. You could get one on Long Island's north shore, or near New Rochele and even in the Sandy Hook area, but that is close as it gets.
I thought there were a number of marinas and in water moorings around the city or just across the Hudson.

79th St Boat Basin for mooring Marinas : West 79th Street Boat Basin : NYC Parks
North Cove Marina downtown North Cove
Hudson River Park moorings Pier 40 Moorings | Hudson River Park

Just across the Hudson from NYC on the NJ side
Liberty Landing and Lincoln Harbor marinas.
Old 22-10-2013, 08:37   #12

Pier 25 Moorings | Hudson River Park
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 08:38   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalksp View Post
Ah... I hadn't picked up on that. Thanks for pointing it out. In that case there are slips on either side of the Hudson, in Brooklyn out by the Rockaways, and in the places listed elsewhere in this post.

I've been on a few boats at 79th St and it is very rolly, though, somewhat mitigated when the current is flowing strong. My stays and visits on boats there (45' & 32' monohulls) were both pleasant enough.
So how is the neighborhood around 79th St? That's much further north and west than I've traveled in the city. Is it easy to catch a subway downtown from there? Will you get mugged on the way to the station or is that just tourist paranoia?
Old 22-10-2013, 08:53   #14

Quote:
So how is the neighborhood around 79th St? That's much further north and west than I've traveled in the city. Is it easy to catch a subway downtown from there? Will you get mugged on the way to the station or is that just tourist paranoia?
That's relatively insane/outdated tourist paranoia. Apartments around the boat basin and on the upper west side in general cost more than most of the boats sitting on their moorings. The UWS is affluent, safe, easily accessible by the 1, A, C, B, D trains, is home to the Museum of Natural History... I could go on.

NYC as a whole these days is safe. I live up in Harlem and have very few concerns lest I find myself in Spanish Harlem at the wrong hour of the night. I'd fear more the wayward dock floating away from the boat basin (it happens) than I would of getting mugged, robbed, or spoken to in the city (city humor, sorry).
Old 22-10-2013, 08:53   #15

Quote:
If you walk around devoid of any situational awareness whatsoever you are at risk anywhere. I would say this especially applies in NYC. That said, NYC has the lowest crime rate in the US among the ten largest cities the since 2005. Crime in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, new york