Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 16:22   #1

Boat: Moody 45ds
Moody 45DS - Safe Ocean Cruiser?

Hi All, Would really appreciate some advise re the safety of the new Moody 45DS. We are planning to live-aboard, but also to sail around the world in stages. Is this vessel up to it? Or should we rather opt for a Hallberg Rassy 43?
Many thanks for any advise given.
Cheers,
Gunther
Guntherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 16:55   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
2 feet is a lot on a boat.

The moody is built big.. some might think slightly ungainly looking. But where crusing is the idea then the big boat with the big pilot house may be the go. Its certainly a unique boat and I think you will either love it or hate it.

The HR's are fine, but perhaps a little older in design and more formal in accomodation.

The Moody would be fine at sea so that should not be in the decision.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 19:10   #3

Question Moody or HR???

Hi Mark,
I really did appreciate your reply. However, I'm still torn since our plans are to live-aboard for a couple of years and than lift anchor for our first circum navigation. And some sailors here in Sydney suggested that with the Moody and it's sliding doors, I will never leave the shores. One quote was: "Just imagine what happens to these sliding doors" when a huge wave comes over!".
My question of course would be: "do they come over from behind?".
I know, and have been told that most of the trouble at sea comes from inexperience of a crew rather than the vessel in question. Since the Moody 45ds is rated CA, shouldn't that give me more comfort (even with sliding doors?).
Thanks again for your advise,.
Best regards,
Gunther
Old 08-01-2010, 06:11   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntherg View Post
some sailors here in Sydney suggested that with the Moody and it's sliding doors, I will never leave the shores. One quote was: "Just imagine what happens to these sliding doors" when a huge wave comes over!".
Gunther,

Never listen to imbiciles or other cruisers.

If we did we would still be at home instead of 18,000 miles into a million mile cruise.

If you like the pilot house and have seen the way the cockpit flows on the same level into it, and you like it, then go for it!

We would like windows where we could see out into the world more easily when at anchor.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:04   #5

Boat: Boatless
We have small windows because we have seen those big waves break over our big 55 ft boat and that was in benign F9...we would never go to sea in a 'greenhouse'.

Read K Adlard Cole's early editions of 'Heavy Weather Sailing'. He carried pre-cut plywood shutters for every window in the boat. Or read the book on the Queen's Birthday Storm...Someone who survived the storm said that:

Quote:
I had a lovely boat for sitting in the harbor looking at the view...and that is where the boat should have stayed
The sliding door might never get damaged in heavy seas but if it does you will sink...our companionway hatch is 1 inch teak with stainless bolts to keep it in place.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:37   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Its a fairly new design of boat so there won't be many out there for owners to comment on it. Managed to get a walk around one 18 months ago at the Southampton boat Show. Very impressive and love the 3 cabin layout below whilst everything else up at deck level. Huge storage under the aft decks too.

Clearly not cheap, I suggest you have a chat with Moody and borrow one for a trip to France and back over a weekend subject to a sale. They might just agree to that given the current financial climate, certainly nothing to loose by asking.

Good owners association too:

MOA Home Page

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 22:22   #7

Thank you all!

Thanks everybody for all the insight and advise.
And because, and despite it all we've decided to take the plunge. We've put down a deposit on the Moody and will be sailing soon.
Again many thanks everybody.
Cheers,
Gunther
Old 13-01-2010, 07:03   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I looked at this boat, and my main problems were engine access and flimsy rudder tubes. The volvo is deisgned to be front serviced, yet the engine is right up againt the bulkhead, in an area where there is no head room. Nice boat spoiled by the engineering.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 08:06   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Gunther,

G'day matey and good luck. We are expats Aussies from Perth now living back in UK winter months and sailing when the sun shines.

The hull shape of this 'new'Moody is exactly the same as our Hanse 461, but no suprises as we all know who builds them now. Bit tongue in cheek of them to infer another designer as our shared hull design came from the board of Judel and Vrolyk.... but who cares.

We've had the 461 for near 5 years and sailed her 30,000 miles. From UK, all round the Med to Egypt, back to Canaries and over to Caribbean, back to UK and then last year once more headed off south for Portugal. Go check our blog to read how she has never let us down and flies when compared with other cruisers. You'll leave a HR 54 for dead.

And be aware we've never once had any water over our stern and suspect our transoms are very similar heights. Suggest you take the more conservative view on this with a pinch of salt, we no longe rlive in the days of Cole designs, and you'll find any big sea will lift your big stern and water will simply slide under.

And I've repeated this so many time I hope I am not boring - but they also had a lot less available on conditions back when Adlanrd wrote his book. IMHO if you cannot cruise safely inside the weather windows of info we all have available to us today, then maybe it is best for people to stay at home (or continue to go sailing on what look like lifeboats with sticks.

I have climbed over the 45DS also at Southampton and share what you see in it's appeal and maybe what they are aiming for. What I'd call a Med or Hamilton Island boat.

Sorry - no insults - but it is ugly. Plus must be real hard to park up when close to - as nix viz from each wheel. But so what - I am sure you've realised these drawbacks already.

Balanced against the hull form, the efficient and easy handled rig, the ease and speed of sailing shorthanded, and finally the innovations in layout and internals - it come together to make it a very appealing 'livaboard' yacht. With a volume below that makes most 60 footers looked cramped.

So from from the way you've described your plans you've done well - I've no doubts it will fit your needs.

Good luck - enjoy - but do be aware we had initial friction issues with the folding anchor / windlass set up on the 461. They continued producing with same issues on the 470. Suspect you'll have similar on the 45. Scuttlebut indicates they never sorted it at the factory so if you want some tips on those practical bits and how we sorted them, then pm me directly.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 13-01-2010, 08:42   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
lifeboats with sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
And I've repeated this so many time I hope I am not boring - but they also had a lot less available on conditions back when Adlanrd wrote his book. IMHO if you cannot cruise safely inside the weather windows of info we all have available to us today, then maybe it is best for people to stay at home (or continue to go sailing on what look like lifeboats with sticks.
That's pure poetry, John, and you've cut to the heart of the matter. Weather windows are a lot less dependable for those who cruise at four knots than those who cruise at eight.
Old 26-03-2011, 04:39   #11

Re: Moody 45DS - Safe Ocean Cruiser?

hi,
i was about to buy one and had the same concerns as you .I did some research and then dropped it in favour of nordship, a more seaworthy boat but less sexy but then my heart overuled my brain and ive just gone back to moody
.However I would not go deep sea with her .Yes she has cs approval and stix not too bad but the titanic was built to british standards and all that glass,apparently 13mm thick and a patio door just doesnt reassure me enough so watch the forecast and avoid the greenies.
ps lots of reports in magazines
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 10:19   #12

Re: Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntherg View Post
Thanks everybody for all the insight and advise.
And because, and despite it all we've decided to take the plunge. We've put down a deposit on the Moody and will be sailing soon.
Again many thanks everybody.
Cheers,
Gunther
Congratulations! We too but emoji 45DS recently, we purchased it in Sweden and are currently selling through the Caribbean to take it back home to Seattle Washington. The design is not for everybody, but it sure suits our needs for livability and Bluewater cruising. Do you still have your boat?
bhcreasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 13:15   #13

Boat: Moody 45DS & Catalina 270

Hi bhcreasy,

I guess we are resurrecting a very old thread here!

We have a new Moody 45DS on order. Ours is #114 and it actually just came out of the Factory in Greifswald on Dec 20th. It is being commissioned in Greifswald by Yachtwerft and then will be shipped over to the USVI. We are going to Germany in early January to have a look at our boat and will then we will meet up with it in St Thomas to sail it down to Bonaire, its home base. I agree the 45DS is a different design that some of us like and some don’t, and we are 100% OK with that. IIRC Seattle has at least one 45DS and another 54DS. We winter in the Caribbean but summer in Canada in BC, actually inland but we have many friends who have boats in the Gulf Islands that we visit each year. We will keep a look out for you, what’s the Boat’s Name?
Vingt-Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 14:18   #14

Hi '20 Knots'! Yeah, old post, but I'm just connecting with the 45Ds community. W]I'm from Vancouver originally and spent a lot of time sailing the islands there. We are here in Seattle now, as you know, and are acquaintances with the owners of the local 45DS and 54DS here. We spent September - November sailing Sweden, Denmark, Germany and NL then shipped her to Ft Lauderdale where she is now. In a month, we will hit the Caribbean for a few months and the have her here in Seattle in May. Her name, as unconventional as her design, is Happy. I'd be pleased to cross paths with you sometime if you are interested.
bhcreasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 12:01   #15

Boat: Moody 45DS & Catalina 270

Hi bhcreasy,

I tried to Private Message you but the system would not allow it as we are not trusted users. I am not sure how many posts it takes to become a trusted user. I understand the issue as it is setup to keep spammers out. I was trying to send you my personal contact info so we could stay in touch on our boats. I will keep trying.

Cheers,
Vingt-Knots is offline   Reply With Quote