Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2010, 08:00   #1

Boat: Morgan 461
Moody 425 Owners

Hello,

I have two specific questions about the Moody 425:

1. I understand fitting a bimini might be tight if one wants to stand up straight in the cockpit. Is it possible to have 6' (1.83 m) clearance on the bimini without modifying the main?

2. Ventilation in the aft stateroom seems poor. Has anyone sailed a Moody 425 in the tropics? Did you manage to get enough air flow?

Thanks!
enovillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 05:16   #2

Hi,

In answer to your questions about the 425.

1. Headroom under our bimini is 6' and did not require modification of the main. I can still crank the vang down when going to wind without touching the bimini. when putting the main away we have to rely on the topping lift to keep the boom from resting on the bimini... it not a problem. Our installation goes all the way out to the edge of the cabin top rather than stopping at the cockpit combing; it gives you a bit more shade. We kept the original dodger, which we love, and have added zip on sides to the bimini, giving us a full enclosure. Makes sailing on those cold days a bit more civilized.

2. We have been aboard full-time since 2002. Our first five years were in the Mediterranean, then we crossed and cruised through the Caribbean. Ventilation in the aft cabin isn't the best, but we solved the problem by installing a 12v Hella Turbo Fan and we also use a modified wind scoop in the overhead hatch that really brings the air down. This set up has kept us comfortable in some rather warm conditions.

It's a great boat, if you decide to buy one do feel free to contact me if you have other questions about the 425.

Cheers,
Pete
s/y "Brilliant"
Brilliant425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 00:15   #3

Re: Moody 425 Owners

Hello!

has anyone opinion about Moody 425 sheel keel vs. fin keel ? I assume there is only one advantage of sheel keel - access to shallow places. If speaking about disatvantages - are they big comparing to deep keel ?

thanks a lot
Martis
Martis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 04:27   #4

Martis,

We have the fin keel on our 425, but I've seen the sheel keel. It isn't an obnoxiously large wing, rather the lower portion of the keel bulges out a bit. In the Med our 6' draft was never a problem, but now cruising the US east coast and the Bahamas there are times we would REALLY like that 4.6' shallow draft keel.

I can't personally speak for performance differences, but hopefully you will get an answer from your post to the Moody Owners Association Info Exchange
Thinking of buying a Moody - post your question here

Bill Dixon designs are very stable and forgiving. The 425's were designed for the UK market where they think a force 6-7 wind is a rousing good time. I don't think you'll go wrong with the sheel keel no matter where you plan on sailing it.

Cheers,
Pete
s/y "Brilliant"
Moody 425
Laying Jacksonville, FL

Old 02-03-2011, 02:57   #5

Boat: Moody 425, PACIFICO

Hallo other 425 Moodys!
I am new here and wery intrested! I bouth a 425 recently with 1,45 drath. I think what Pete wrote ist right.
As a new advice, I tell yuo, that my emergency rudder upper part didnt connect to the lower peace , below the deck!! Nowbody noticed this sice 20 years !
I wish you all a nice season!
Cheers
Hermann
sy PACIFICO
tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:15   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant425 View Post
The 425's were designed for the UK market where they think a force 6-7 wind is a rousing good time. I don't think you'll go wrong with the sheel keel no matter where you plan on sailing it.
My favourite wee book on navigation is by John O Coote, a submariner. He talks of a club which to gain membership requires you set sail, after midnight, in a F7, wearing black tie

Martis, I think your problem will be finding people who have sailed with both keels sufficiently to comment. However, fab choice of boat if you decide to go ahead. If it was an option for us then there would be one less on the market for you to choose from and I would be grinning from ear to ear.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:40   #7

Moody Emergency Tiller Extension Problem

Quote:
As a new advice, I tell yuo, that my emergency rudder upper part didnt connect to the lower peace , below the deck!! Nowbody noticed this sice 20 years !
Hermann is absolutely correct. I discovered the same thing on bottom of our emergency tiller extension (part that connects between deck and rudder post) when we dropped the rudder for repairs (see attached photos). Moody used a soft box steel on the end of the emergency tiller, then hid it under a PVC tube. Corrosion liked that!

I ended up replacing the rusted tip with a heavy duty stainless steel impact wrench socket (they do make square ones) and had it welded to the universal joint. I then had the extension and emergency tiller soda blasted and powder coated. I now have a lovely white emergency tiller, that no longer gets rusty in the aft lazerette. The whole job only cost me around $120 in Jacksonville, FL, well worth the expense for peace of mind.

If you have a Moody, take the time to inspect your rudder post emergency tiller connection, you might need it someday!

Cheers,
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5120025.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	24428   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5120026.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	24429  

Old 02-03-2011, 06:04   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Moody Emergency Tiller Extension Problem

Quote:
If you have a Moody, take the time to inspect your rudder post emergency tiller connection, you might need it someday!

Cheers,
Pete

Mine is an entirely different design -- the emergency tiller is in two pieces which fit together to make one whole, which is then inserted directly into the steering quadrant through a hatch in the bottom of the lazarette.

But it's funny -- my emergency tiller was also badly rusted. I had it shot-blasted and powder-coated just last year. Moody must have forgotten all about corrosion protection when they designed all their emergency tillers.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:08   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

The 425's were designed for the UK market where they think a force 6-7 wind is a rousing good time.
Force 6 a "rousing good time"? Noooo -- that's a "decent sailing wind." F7 is a "good time". For a rousing good time, you need F8

Preferably on a broad reach.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:06   #10

Wow! These picturs from Pete are incredeble!! Mine isnt broken yet, but I will change in in steal in cheeper region. I asked in germany for a new peace. It should cost about 1000€.
My boat has the Nr 5151. Is there somone who nows where this Nr is to be found on the boat?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:25   #11

tequilla,

The Lloyd's Registration Number is embossed on top portside of the transom; mine starts with BRS. The serial number is on the top starboard side of the transom; mine starts with MPPG.

I'm not sure where you would find the Nr.

Sorry,
Pete
Old 02-03-2011, 08:37   #12

Pete!
Thank you for that. These Nr´s I found allredy.
Has someone experience with a wind selfsteering specialy pacific plus?
Old 21-04-2022, 13:04   #13

Does anyone know who made the opening port windows on the Moody 425?
MaritimeTees is offline   Reply With Quote