Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 19:50   #1

Boat: The Search Is On!
Exclamation Montana to Sailboat

Born in and from Montana and I cut trees for a living (landlubber as it gets from dirt, dust and rocks) but now looking to move to Florida with the misses (and she isn't kicking and screaming just yet, I believe this to be a good sign).

The question is what are good seaworthy (offshore) boats? Im trying to make a list.

The Plan is to buy a sailboat and sail across the Atlantic and the rest of the world (avoiding pirate-ville by going around the Cape of Good Hope). I've been doing loads of research & have taken a few classes off of Marina Del Rey, CA | ASA101 103 & 104, so I have gotten my feet wet, a bit.

I plan to "Go small, go simple, go now!" I sailed a Beneteau first 38s5 a nice "salty" boat as some would say. I also said a Hunter 45 which felt too much to me like an RV on water.

On my list of a basic seaworthy boats is:
+Full Keel (modified to not breach as I hear that's bad)
+Sloop or Cutter (simple rigging)
+Moderately Heavy
+30-40ft (I'd prefer around 35-38ft)
+Tough Hull (I'm leaning toward steel something like a Goderich 35 or Freya)
+Priced around $30-$70
+Pilothouse look a plus
+Clipper look also a plus or bowspit

Anyways I'm basically looking for any advice on a good, solid boat that can take care of herself. Thanks
blueyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 20:39   #2

Re: Montana to Sailboat

Endurance 35 & Formosa marvelous curb appeal.
Old 08-03-2012, 20:55   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

"I also said [SIC] a Hunter 45 which felt too much to me like an RV on water."

Wow. You've slagged someone else's boat in your first post on this forum.

Is this the way folks who cut trees for a living go about making friends?
Old 08-03-2012, 20:57   #4

Boat: Colin Archer RS-22 46' LOD

Hey,

We made a similar life change last year; Eastern Washington State farming to Pacific Ocean in two months. It has been quite the experience and over all we are glad we did it. I think next winter well are going to head to warmer waters as the PNW is just too cold.

From what you said you are looking for I would look at some of the Bluewater Ingrids; they are full keel heavy built and very seaworthy;they aren't steel though. Just my opinion! Happy searching and I hope you find your perfect boat.

Peter
Old 08-03-2012, 21:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
"I also said [SIC] a Hunter 45 which felt too much to me like an RV on water."

Wow. You've slagged someone else's boat in your first post on this forum.

Is this the way folks who cut trees for a living go about making friends?

I do what I can.

Bash... Seems like a very appropriate name I'm guessing this forum its not kosher with sharing even for example purposes (hmm its going to be a bit hard to find photos then since I live a 1000 miles from any coast) but you do have to admit its a nice boat, right.
Old 08-03-2012, 21:15   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyama View Post
I'm guessing this forum its not kosher with sharing even for example purposes (hmm its going to be a bit hard to find photos then since I live a 1000 miles from any coast) but you do have to admit its a nice boat, right.
Interesting sentence.

I can't advise you about what is kosher. Rather, my advice would be to try to find a way to pursue your dream--or dream boat, as the case may be--without starting out by putting down someone else's dream.
Old 08-03-2012, 21:27   #7

Boat: Colin Archer RS-22 46' LOD

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You will find that everyone on the forum has an opinion. Some on here just get a bit testy when you don't share theirs.

Oh well,
Old 08-03-2012, 21:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
putting down someone else's dream.
As an admin Bash assuming is bad you know that “When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me.” ~ Oscar Wilde

The man was selling his boat. I can't see how showing his picture and promoting his boat as a beautiful vessel would crush his dream. If anything he might sell it, but thats just a guess.

Bash do you have any boats that you favor?
Old 08-03-2012, 21:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadejda View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You will find that everyone on the forum has an opinion
Thanks for the support Nadejda you've been very helpful and have made this forum very welcoming.
Old 15-06-2017, 20:01   #10

Boat: Endurance 35

I have a Endurance '35 that I will be putting up for sale this summer in Olympia Washington. Crisp sails and newly rebuilt motor.
Goldspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 21:47   #11

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

My favorite heavy displacement sailboats are the Westsail 32 which I used to cruise in the Caribbean, and the Westsail 42/43 which I have been tempted to buy on more than one occasion.

I would feel safe sailing anywhere in the world on those two yachts.

I chose a privilege 39 for my circumnavigation, and I was not disappointed with my decision.

My bias is in the direction of heavy displacement, but since my wife does not like a boat that heels over, I ended up in a catamaran. Such was my compromise that made a world cruise possible.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 22:54   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You might peruse the boats shown the bluewaterboats.org website. And while there check the "boats to vote for" list too, there are a bunch of good ones there. They all mostly have pretty good reps, but designs depend on your preferences and experience and kind of sailing you will be doing. Personally I am willing to sacrifice downwind speed for upwind ability if I had to. I think you are worried about broaching, not breaching, but there are ways to avoid that and there are more ways and reasons to choose that may change your preferences later when you get more experience. Every boat has its pros and cons. Get a little boat to learn on first and then get lots of rides on others or get on some deliveries as crew if you can, to help give you some useful experience.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 00:29   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Umm... the OP was last heard from five years ago. Maybe a tree fell on his head?

Another irresolute wannabe, or maybe Bash bashing him sent him elsewhere.

Jim
Old 16-06-2017, 04:03   #14

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyama View Post
Born in and from Montana and I cut trees for a living (landlubber as it gets from dirt, dust and rocks) but now looking to move to Florida with the misses (and she isn't kicking and screaming just yet, I believe this to be a good sign).

The question is what are good seaworthy (offshore) boats? Im trying to make a list.

The Plan is to buy a sailboat and sail across the Atlantic and the rest of the world (avoiding pirate-ville by going around the Cape of Good Hope). I've been doing loads of research & have taken a few classes off of Marina Del Rey, CA | ASA101 103 & 104, so I have gotten my feet wet, a bit.

I plan to "Go small, go simple, go now!" I sailed a Beneteau first 38s5 a nice "salty" boat as some would say. I also said a Hunter 45 which felt too much to me like an RV on water.

On my list of a basic seaworthy boats is:
+Full Keel (modified to not breach as I hear that's bad)
+Sloop or Cutter (simple rigging)
+Moderately Heavy
+30-40ft (I'd prefer around 35-38ft)
+Tough Hull (I'm leaning toward steel something like a Goderich 35 or Freya)
+Priced around $30-$70
+Pilothouse look a plus
+Clipper look also a plus or bowspit

Anyways I'm basically looking for any advice on a good, solid boat that can take care of herself. Thanks
Hey Montana, Hamilton (Bitterrooter) here. We have lived and sailed the Caribbean for the last 18 years. Make yourself a list of what you are going to be doing and how you are going to use the boat before looking. Funny you mention​ that you want a boat "that can take care of herself". When and if you find her, let me know because I know of no boat that cares for itself. Lots of time, money, and work goes into every ocean going vessel especially​ steel and wood boats. Good luck..
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 04:41   #15

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Last time blueyama checked in was 2014. This is an old dead thread.........well it was dead.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat