Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 11:24   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Monohull with room to store 2 full sized bicycles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm a serious cyclist, the geometry is exactly the same as his road bike if he buys the model with the flat handlebars.

He can change the seat to whatever he prefers, same as any bike... I did, now it's the same as my road bike.

The same clip on (clipless) pedals can be used on a Brompton if you wish, and the bike will still fold just as small. I like my titanium Speedplays.

I've ridden the Brompton more than 50 miles in one day and didn't hurt myself because the geometry is the same.

If you don't believe me, go to a bike store and try one out yourself and see just how wrong you are. I know I was shocked when I first rode a Brompton, then I was all smiles.

I go to California, I ride the track bike on the Olympic velodrome. I'm on the boat, I ride the Brompton in town.... same geometry, different banking, same workout.
Maybe .................

But looking at the geometry of my frame and bike (a Litespeed 59cm Titanium Vortex frame) and just looking at a Brompton, I'm not seeing it happen ....the geometry being the same.

It looks more like you'd be sitting way up right on the Brompton like folks riding a beach bike etc.

Then there's the wheel set. Doubt Mavic makes and cool rims for the Brompton! Mine has old school Mavic Ksyrium Rims and I still think they look great....especially when clean

Btw, I rode today. (40 minutes at lunch) First time in maybe a year. It felt great. Bike computer battery is dead (I like to monitor my cadence but probably know it by feel) though and my cleats have almost had it but the bike that has about 15,000 miles on it still feels perfect

I'm glad this thread was posted ..........it provided a bit of motivation
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 11:36   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Maybe .................

But looking at the geometry of my frame and bike (a Litespeed 59cm Titanium Vortex frame) and just looking at a Brompton, I'm not seeing it happen ....the geometry being the same.

It looks more like you'd be sitting way up right on the Brompton like folks riding a beach bike etc.

Then there's the wheel set. Doubt Mavic makes and cool rims for the Brompton! Mine has old school Mavic Ksyrium Rims and I still think they look great....especially when clean

Btw, I rode today. (40 minutes at lunch) First time in maybe a year. It felt great. Bike computer battery is dead (I like to monitor my cadence but probably know it by feel) though and my cleats have almost had it but the bike that has about 15,000 miles on it still feels perfect

I'm glad this thread was posted ..........it provided a bit of motivation
Mavic Ksyrium?

Get yourself some Carbonsports Lightweight Obermayers. 960gm per wheelset and make sure they're Campy.

BTW: Do yourself a favor and try out the Brompton, it's the same geometry "believe it or not."

Karbon
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 12:22   #48
cruiser

No seriously.... Mavic Ksyriums are good stiff racing wheels, I used a couple of wheelsets myself over the years. Funny though, I purchased them brand new when they first came out around 16-17 years ago, now they're considered "retro."
Old 17-05-2017, 12:29   #49

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I have to agree that on a boat simplicity is the way to go. I've been riding a single speed for a number of years, I'm not cruising right now, I'm living on the boat, got a workshop and dock. But I do ride the bicycle more than I ride my 66 Honda 125. It's quite common for me to ride 40 miles. (I don't have a car registered, don't want to buy insurance. If you know of a 3 wheel car let me know, I'll buy it anywhere if the price is right, it's considered a motorcycle here in Florida and you don't have to have insurance.) It's flat here, most likely if it was not flat I would want something with at least a couple speeds, but most ports are going to be rather flat around town. I expect a 3 speed derailer with a simple control down near the chain would be fine, no cables. I'll have to do some thinking, maybe 3 speed with 3 sprockets up front and 3 in the rear and one length chain works with no tension take up and then a coaster brake. That would be simple.

I have always had multiple speed bikes, but I have almost always lived in hilly country. I was the first person to have a 10 speed, when I was 13 I got it for X-mas, that was back in the mid 60's. I was mostly the first person that had even seen a 10 speed bike back then.
Old 17-05-2017, 12:56   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
No seriously.... Mavic Ksyriums are good stiff racing wheels, I used a couple of wheelsets myself over the years. Funny though, I purchased them brand new when they first came out around 16-17 years ago, now they're considered "retro."

Retro, what about my Shamal's
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:11   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Retro, what about my Shamal's
Wooden spokes?
Old 17-05-2017, 15:25   #52

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I said old school.

I'm 60 plus now and did my serious cycling in my 50's in pelotons with the triathletes and bike racers who were mostly in their 20's and 30's.

I just wish I had known earlier it's such fun and makes you feel so good.......like sailing. (it's the sun I think and the physical movement)

It was awesome but hot doing those long rides on the gulf coast in 95 degree heat.........

I paid $3,300.00 for this 2004 Litespeed back in maybe 2005. Before that I was hanging in there on a Trek 1000!

It was a factory refurb directly from Chattanooga when they still did that. It was a Dura Ace 10 speed Vortex and looked brand new and recently polished with the Mavic Wheel Set, carbon forks

I was even on the competitive cyclist website today looking for tubes which brought back many memories.

I did my ride at lunch (I had to be back at 1 pm) and then looked in my saddle bag and there was no spare tube. Just CO2's etc and a repair kit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01806.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	147969  
Old 17-05-2017, 16:59   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Wooden spokes?

Not quite that bad, my Lightspeed Ultimate was a custom frame built for me in 94 I think. Full Campy Record except the seat post is Lightspeed, and like you I like my Speedplays.
Took it to the local bike shop thinking about selling it and was told maybe $500 I think? I won't sell it for that, I'd give it away first.
I have a few other unusual bikes that I have no idea what to do with, one is a Rans Screamer, what's funny about the Rans is it's a bicycle made by an airplane company, Wilbur and Orville of course had a bicycle company and built airplanes.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 15:19   #54

I've ridden many thousands of miles, and never on a bike that cost more than $75, a few of them were probably more than that new but I bought them used, normally well used. I think you can have just as much enjoyment on a $10 bike as you can on a $1000 bike. I do notice a difference and don't enjoy the motion of a bike with small wheels or a short frame. It's even more different when you pile 50 pounds of camping gear or purchased items on it. Also you don't have to worry as much about a $10 bike walking away when you have it parked someplace out of your sight. Although, when you get out of the country it might be that any bike has just as good a chance of walking away.
Old 18-05-2017, 16:09   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
I've ridden many thousands of miles, and never on a bike that cost more than $75, a few of them were probably more than that new but I bought them used, normally well used. I think you can have just as much enjoyment on a $10 bike as you can on a $1000 bike. I do notice a difference and don't enjoy the motion of a bike with small wheels or a short frame. It's even more different when you pile 50 pounds of camping gear or purchased items on it. Also you don't have to worry as much about a $10 bike walking away when you have it parked someplace out of your sight. Although, when you get out of the country it might be that any bike has just as good a chance of walking away.
That's nice but let's not mix apples and oranges. The OP appears to be a cyclist

It appears you are using a bike for transportation.

A guy (or gal which there are many and they are very good!) that rides a bike 100 miles (plus) in say 5 hours (this was my best at age 50 plus) needs a bike that is perfectly suited to his body

The geometry has to be right or you get hurt. The saddle height has to be right. Saddle angle has to be right ***(especially for us guys), saddle position forward and aft has to be right, shoe cleat angle has to be right. Handle bar height, top bar length, crank arm length, pedals, sprockets, chain that isn't too old and might break, etc, etc

You can ride any type bike 20 miles but in a peloton or alone for 70-100 miles it's a different ball game especially if you are maintaining say 23-25 mph. For me that would be within the peloton since I cannot hold those speeds alone

I remember being at 85 miles and thinking I cannot do this any more but went on with it to the full 100 mile ride and dealt with the sprains later
Old 18-05-2017, 17:41   #56

Considering your apple and oranges, I like them both. I ride for more than just transportation, I can and have ridden 40 miles in 2 hours going to yard sales, I could ride my motorcycle but choose the bicycle. I normally ride probably an average of 25 miles a day, everyday of the year. I have ridden from Kansas to Florida. It was quite common to find me 30 miles from home when I was a kid. I was trying to say that many people that think they are bicyclists have their head up their ass, you can have just as much enjoyment on a $20 bike as a $2000 bike, the difference is maybe 10% probably even less. That 10% is not really important. After all probably a lot of the reason you say you ride is for the exercise, you can get just as much exercise and travel 10% less distance. In addition to riding the bike, I also row my sailing dinghy 3 miles almost every evening, I'm not doing that for travel, since I've seen the same 3 islands 5 times this last week. I enjoy the exercise, plain and simple. It's the same reason I play softball 2 times a week. I ride the bike 5 miles to the softball fields. It all part of staying healthy, alive and enjoying life. Every Wednesday evening I ride 8 miles to a live country music pot luck with friends. I enjoy the pig out and the music. I also was saying that to me there is a big difference in riding a bike with 20 inch wheels and one with a full size frame and 26 inch.
Old 19-05-2017, 03:32   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
Considering your apple and oranges, I like them both. I ride for more than just transportation, I can and have ridden 40 miles in 2 hours going to yard sales, I could ride my motorcycle but choose the bicycle. I normally ride probably an average of 25 miles a day, everyday of the year. I have ridden from Kansas to Florida. It was quite common to find me 30 miles from home when I was a kid. I was trying to say that many people that think they are bicyclists have their head up their ass, you can have just as much enjoyment on a $20 bike as a $2000 bike, the difference is maybe 10% probably even less. That 10% is not really important. After all probably a lot of the reason you say you ride is for the exercise, you can get just as much exercise and travel 10% less distance. In addition to riding the bike, I also row my sailing dinghy 3 miles almost every evening, I'm not doing that for travel, since I've seen the same 3 islands 5 times this last week. I enjoy the exercise, plain and simple. It's the same reason I play softball 2 times a week. I ride the bike 5 miles to the softball fields. It all part of staying healthy, alive and enjoying life. Every Wednesday evening I ride 8 miles to a live country music pot luck with friends. I enjoy the pig out and the music. I also was saying that to me there is a big difference in riding a bike with 20 inch wheels and one with a full size frame and 26 inch.
Sounds like you are getting in your exercise, but I'm still going with a proper sized bike when doing BIG miles which usually means a more expensive bike (and I'm very stingy) I have a Trek 1000 that I'd never try to ride 70-100 miles. I just cannot get it adjusted right

You can ride most anything 20 miles and up to 40 miles, but when you start those rides of 70-100 plus everything has to be right or you will probably injure yourself or it will take you twice as long
Old 19-05-2017, 05:45   #58

We always carry 4 folding bikes. They fit snug on our previous Beneteau 473 in the aft cockpit seat lockers. Now have a Bavaria Vision 46 and 4 fit so easily in under cockpit floor locker - easiest storage and retrieval we've ever had!
Old 19-05-2017, 18:37   #59

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1495244105.119374.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	148079Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1495244129.916235.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	148080

My SNS coupled Salsa Vaya. Has been around the world with me working. Set up as a cross touring bike .

Lives on the boat at the moment .

Way rather have that then a brompton
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 20:42   #60

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You can ride most anything 20 miles and up to 40 miles, but when you start those rides of 70-100 plus everything has to be right or you will probably injure yourself or it will take you twice as long
A couple of years ago I rode my Brompton 1500km from Montpellier to St Malo in 11 days. No injuries, and fast enough for non-competitive riding.

Like you said ... if the bike fits, ride it!

I don't care what bikes you all ride, I'm just happy to meet other people out on two wheels.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, size