Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2017, 00:43   #16

Re: Monohull with room to store 2 full sized bicycles?

Be aware also some of these new Electric Bikes, if you take the wheels off some of them can be a real pain to put back together.

Dave
inet-projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 06:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We own over 20 full size bikes, I was an avid cycling fanatic racer, roadie for over fifteen years. Several bikes costing much more than cars, as in $20k.

We gave up on keeping them onboard, It just doesn't work on several levels, space, rust, dinghy rides etc. In Cali, I did keep two Cervelo track bikes and four sets of wheels onboard our Hunter 450 broken down in bike bags and fiberglass wheel cases for use at the LA Velodrome. The road bikes will rust.

Just buy a Brompton for the boat and keep it inside coated with WD40 when you're away.

Now it's fun to come up behind a group of roadies in a paceline and join in on the Brompton whilst wearing street clothes. Gets a lot of WTF looks from the home boys.
What rusted? Groupsets I assume or else the track bikes would have the same problem.

Did you break the bikes down for dinghy rides? Did it help to keep them in soft bike bags?

I'm assuming that my roady, TT bike and track bike will have to stay at home but we're wondering whether to take our alloy CX bikes or to buy a pair of Montague full-size folders. The issue with the Montagues is partly weight and cost (considering that the wheels, groupsets and handlebars will be thrown away and replaced with half decent kit and drop bars) but I'm also suspicious about whether the geometry will handle drop bars. I'm not a drop-bar snob but I've given flat bars a very good try and they just don't work for me.

I've drooled over some of the Cervelo track bikes but just have an alloy mid-range one and an old Cervelo TT bike. Lovely bits of kit
Chris 249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 08:36   #18

Boat: shopping

not full size but handy for a boat. https://youtu.be/ZJJ7zakGLbw
icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 08:54   #19

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

I'm not sure if Chuck rose (Cruising Lealea) is on this board, but he and Laura packed their two full-sized bikes into the starboard lazerette of their Albin Vega! For any not familiar, their YouTube channel is great fun. They've crossed from Hawaii to the PNW, down the west coast, back to Hawaii, then back to Southeast Alaska, where they've been for a few years. On a 27 foot, 5000 lb displacement sloop!

https://youtu.be/xe8-coQ66o4?list=PL...YnF26Dc3Au3Txq
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 08:54   #20

Boat: Boatless

We carried ours on deck strapped to the lifelines. Two used cannondales. Kept em well lubed and used.

We tryed folding bikes but never used them as a pain to set up and take down.

The cannondales we just threw on the dock and used. If one were to die just chuck it and get another :-)

Funny story, never had a bike touched in the 3rd world. Florida however came out one day to find both cannondales gone. A hours later found them 8 feet down next to the sea wall. Recovered, washed, lubed, back in biz. Pointless :-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 08:58   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For a roadie, try a pocket rocket.
You'll be surprised, and they fold into their own suitcase, that is also a trailer, or used to anyway
https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/road-sport/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 09:02   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Pic from Bike Friday's web site, I don't know the people but that is two Bikes in their Samsonite travel cases, that also makes a trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	davis.1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	147893  
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 09:11   #23

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I live on a 45 ft custom center cockpit steel ketch. I have ridden bikes for 50 some years. I hate the small wheel folding bikes, OK if you are only going to ride a mile to the store, but not if you are going to explore the country 40 miles at a time. I have been working on a folding bike with full size wheels. I find that the limiting factor is carrying the full size bikes in the dinghy. I have a 9 ft rigid fiberglass rowing and sailing dinghy that I cut in half with each half getting a waterproof bulkhead to store on deck in a storm. Bow fits in stern when stored.

I have been working on a folding/disassembling bike with full size frame and wheels that fits in the space of a large suitcase. It's easy to get the frame down to almost whatever size you want. I found the wheels to be the biggest item and with multiple experiments have built and I'm happy with a wheel that comes apart into 4 pieces. I cut the rim into 3 pie shaped sections with solid spokes and then have the hub. When assembled the air pressure in the tire holds the wheel together and rigid.

I also rode a powered bike from Kansas to my boat in Florida, gas weed eater power, friction drive on the rear wheel, $22 gas, 3 days, carrying full camping gear. I plan to have some form of weed eater power for my folding bike. Most of the time I would just pedal, but if I needed to ride 100 miles in a short time, I could mount the motor. The rear wheel friction drive wore out tires, I wore out 3 on my trip. The nice thing about the friction drive that I would like to keep is that to start the motor you just drop the friction wheel on the tire while riding and if the ignition is on it starts. I have not figured out a simple way to keep that but have some other sort of simple clutch mechanism on a mechanical drive, that is easily mountable or dis-mountable. I'll probably end up with a chain drive on both sides of the rear wheel. I also would like to find a propane weed eater to experiment with. I'm no fan of gas on the boat. Most of this can be seen on my website.
Old 16-05-2017, 09:32   #24

I have a Montague full sized folding mountain bike carried it from Michigan to Nova Scotia and entire east coast, on 37 Valiant did not take to Carib. Worked great now use on Mainship 34.
sailray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 09:47   #25

Boat: Islander 36

Unless you're an avid cyclist, it seems a less than optimal factor in making a boat purchase.

When I was going thru the ground transport issue, besides storage and maintenance, theft was a big issue for me. Was it worth it to go through all the security step? And I have seen stripped bike frames with healthy chains holding them securely in space.

I finally went to adult kick scooters, which really served me well. They have been replaced now with electric scooters. They have their own canvas bags that help in many ways, and they always go inside the stores with me. Fit nicely on the rack on the bottom of the shopping cart, or hand to the property checker at the front of the store.
Old 16-05-2017, 10:08   #26

Check out the Catalina 445 and the new Catalina 425 both have a 3rd "flex" cabin. This space would easily accommodate two or more full size bicycles without dissembling them at all. They also have large cockpit hatches that should be large enough to lower the bikes down into the space.

OH and I happen to sell them too!
CaptRickWeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 10:24   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 249 View Post
What rusted? Groupsets I assume or else the track bikes would have the same problem.

Did you break the bikes down for dinghy rides? Did it help to keep them in soft bike bags?

I'm assuming that my roady, TT bike and track bike will have to stay at home but we're wondering whether to take our alloy CX bikes or to buy a pair of Montague full-size folders. The issue with the Montagues is partly weight and cost (considering that the wheels, groupsets and handlebars will be thrown away and replaced with half decent kit and drop bars) but I'm also suspicious about whether the geometry will handle drop bars. I'm not a drop-bar snob but I've given flat bars a very good try and they just don't work for me.

I've drooled over some of the Cervelo track bikes but just have an alloy mid-range one and an old Cervelo TT bike. Lovely bits of kit
You'll find out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0678.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	147900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	147901  

Name:	IMG_0189.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	147902  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 10:31   #28

Boat: Nonsuch U30

I have a Nonsuch U30 and my bicycle fits nicely on the back side of the table. when we need the table for more than 2, we set the bike outside. 26" road bike
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 11:00   #29

One thought would be an older center cockpit aft cabin boat that has the aft cabin access from the cockpit instead of the modern walk thru inside. Use the aft cabin for storage of bikes and other things.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 12:20   #30

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I agree that bike storage should be way down on the list when it comes to boat selection. I do have a fold up trailer that I can pull behind my bike. That's OK not to have the full size wheels, 16 inch is good.

The big thing I need to find is a mate that can fit all the other things on my boat and makes me need a 2nd bike.

Tags
hull, monohull, size