Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2008, 04:28   #1

Boat: deboated
Mono vs Multi

Having only sailed monohulls but not one eyed when it comes to change I am still not convinced about Cats. If you talk to Cat owners they all say the same thing, fast, comfortable, roomy and safe. Does anyone no the stats re sinking's etc in bad weather versus monohull. I agree that they have many ++'s but it would be nice to get some un biased opinions.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 04:43   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
Having only sailed monohulls but not one eyed when it comes to change I am still not convinced about Cats. If you talk to Cat owners they all say the same thing, fast, comfortable, roomy and safe. Does anyone no the stats re sinking's etc in bad weather versus monohull. I agree that they have many ++'s but it would be nice to get some un biased opinions.

Ah yes, that old chesnut.

I recommend looking at some of the past threads.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 04:52   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
Cat vs Mono

If you are looking at buying a quality boat from a known manufacture then you should be ok in heavy sea's. But I think it comes down to the Captain himself. Wheather or not a boat is safe in storm like conditions has alot to do with the decission's the Captain makes.

Lots of Cat's cross the Atlantic every year, I have sailed both and for Island hoping I like the Cat. For sailing in big sea's I still like a mono hull. Cats also cost alot, more to dock ( due to beam), and some have two engines (saildrives) or outboards you have to repair. Overall I think Mono Hulls are less expensive to opperate.

I guess the best one is the one that you feel comfortable on.......

Todd
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 04:57   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Meyermm,

Based on the numerous threads on this topic, I'd say that it's going to be difficult to get "un-biased" opinions here. This is one of those questions that gets argued back and forth by advocates, not impartial observers.

Do some poking around in the archives with the Google search function found in the "Search" pull-down menu in the blue bar toward the top of the page, and you'll have enough interesting (and entertaining) reading to last you for quite a while.
Old 15-12-2008, 05:28   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
I agree that they have many ++'s but it would be nice to get some un biased opinions.
Unbiased? You have to be kidding. Listen to Hud3 and search the forum as this has been beat to death here.

As for safety data. Start reading here.

SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - Trimaran capsizes off New Zealand! Multi-hull or Mono-hull?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 13:54   #6
cruiser

SSCA changed their forum url . this post is to correct the link given in the previous post.

SSCA Discussion Board • View topic - Trimaran capsizes off New Zealand! Multi-hull or Mono-hull?
Old 13-05-2009, 14:14   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Fast, comfortable, roomy, and safe sounds like a good start to me. I use to love to heel on Frolic, and cruised 4k miles on her. It was what I knew, and what I comfortable with. Now I have 10k miles on Imagine. All boats being a compromise I would not buy another mono. Unless I lost everything financially, or sailed into the Southern Ocean to round 5 capes. I am not bias just experienced in both, and recognize the differences.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 15:55   #8

Quote:
Regarding sinking statistics, a modern cat shouldn't be able to sink. A properly designed cat should be habitable even with both hulls severely holed.

Of course there are other ways you can lose a boat than sinking.

Clearly you can cross oceans safely on both mono's and multi's. It's been done hundreds of times.

So it's really a matter of personal preference.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 17:46   #9

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
There are a lot of threads comparing the two. While one can make some generalities of each, I think it's important to keep in mind not all monohulls are built the same nor are all multi-hulls.

Cost is the big thing keeping me mostly to monohulls.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 18:16   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Cost is the big thing keeping me mostly to monohulls.
I know a few people who own cruising cats. All of them moved to a catamaran after many happy years as proud monohull owners. So, I ask them. Would they go back to a mono? 100% say that the Catamaran they own will be their last sail boat.

This got me to thinking. When I young there were few greater thrills than having a responsive boat hard on the wind. I'm not so young any longer and neither are my friends. After some thought I've come to the conclusion that it's true that buying a catamaran is heavily influenced by the comfort issue. Not necessarily just our comfort as there are admirals, family and friends involved. Having more speed, and in my opinion greater safety, on a Cat and adding these benefits to the comfort a catamaran provides, and the wise men think their way right into a catamaran purchase. Evidently we never look back.

I wonder what percentage of sailors would own a Cat if the purchase price wasn't so steep?

And is the new progression ... monohull -sail, catamaran - sail, then ..... trawler?
Old 13-05-2009, 18:32   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
<snip>

And is the new progression ... monohull -sail, catamaran - sail, then ..... trawler?
Very likely, Rick, but I'll bet that those who can will opt for a power cat when they take that last step.

TaoJones
Old 13-05-2009, 18:40   #12
cruiser

Nah... upon reflection, I think we're just gonna buy bigger diesels
Old 13-05-2009, 19:07   #13

I briefly considered a Multi-hull before I bought and rehabbed "ZigZag." Biggest issue for me in the Upper Chesapeake was where to put it. None of the Marina's in my area had slips wide enough. One place said they would rent me two slips and take out the middle piling, but I would have to pay for two slips. Granted it was not a complete survey of all marinas in the area, but the ones I was familiar with had nothing.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 19:09   #14

Quote:
it would be nice to get some un biased opinions.
As others have said read the many posts and draw your own conclusions.

Opinion: a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 19:20   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Un-biased opinions? Hah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
As others have said read the many posts and draw your own conclusions.

Opinion: a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
A pretty funny opening line.

Should try an anchoring thread next. OR perhaps something about varnish or waxing.