Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2009, 16:36   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Midlandone... ...I thought it started with a question from someone seeking some unbiased answers about the advantages/disadvantages of multis versus monos (although I suppose that with your obvious bias, the fact that someone could even ask the question would imply that they are mulithullers, or at least 'multihull sympathizers' and hence deserving of attack).
For the sake of good order your assumption that I have an "obvious bias" is entirely wrong and your claim that I have such demonstrates the point I made regarding the defensiveness of a small group of multihullers on this forum.

You will find that nowhere have I ever expressed a bias against multihulls; you will find that I have expressed comments along the lines that no boat is perfect and choice is dependant upon ones use, where one sails, etc. It is pleasing to see you responding along those lines in your subsequent posts.

In fact I like multihulls and monos, whether power, sail or rowed and have said so in the past on this forum - in fact have said that if I lived in some places elsewhere to where I do, I would have a cat like a shot. As far as powered multihulls go I venture that I have had more experience in their recommendation, design, construction, operation or other exposure to them than most here - that from small ones up to an approx. 200 foot powered pleasure one. So no bias whatsoever against multihulls.

So, you see, it is foolish to assume I have a bias against any particular boat types, rather the area I have professionally worked in is selecting the better boat for the task in hand. But I have found here that it is unacceptable to a few for someone who is perceived to not be a multihull owner (and I am not, I have a monohull and have said so previously) to make any comment whatsoever that could be construed in any way as being a criticism of multihulls and it is that attitude that I was addressing.

I'll leave you to it.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 16:54   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Seems to me that there are a small number of multihull owners on here who periodically get anxiety attacks and have to reassure themselves they have got the right kind of boat and that it will float.
You don't appear to have read this thread. Up till your post there had been absolutely none of that.

If anything, the entire thread seems to be about a monohull owner seeking to reassure himself he has the right boat and that it will float.

And as long as it doesn't ever spring a leak, I'm sure it will.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 17:16   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
You don't appear to have read this thread. Up till your post there had been absolutely none of that.
I suggest that you reread the thread - I was not the first by far who raised the issue of bias and entrenched positions. It seems that you did not read those ones. But I am glad you found mine of interest to read - must have been some value in them then ?
Old 14-05-2009, 18:08   #49
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I thought the Southern Hemisphere was heading into winter. You two guys must be trying to heat things up down there. Let's chill a little bit and keep it cordial, okay?

I still think a thread with this title is a good challenge to prove that we can all get along. It would be nice to see it have a long life.

TaoJones
Old 14-05-2009, 19:11   #50

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Wine and beer are both good.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 19:34   #51

Quote:
I suggest that you reread the thread - I was not the first by far who raised the issue of bias and entrenched positions.
No, you were the first to start insulting owners of one particular type of boat. In fact in the post I referred to you never actually mentioned bias.

Quote:

But I am glad you found mine of interest to read - must have been some value in them then ?
None at all.
Old 14-05-2009, 19:46   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I thought the Southern Hemisphere was heading into winter. You two guys must be trying to heat things up down there. Let's chill a little bit and keep it cordial, okay?
Noted, nothing more from me. But seems the furnace is still firing out of control in the CruisingCats part of the world though - however, given his warm location I would attribute that to something other than the temperature there .

John
Old 14-05-2009, 20:06   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post

I still think a thread with this title is a good challenge to prove that we can all get along. It would be nice to see it have a long life.

TaoJones
To be honest I haven't seen anything that was less than cordial said in this thread, apart from some uneccessary rubbish about insecure boat owners.

Everyone else has been offering what seem to be geniune attempts to answer the question.
Old 14-05-2009, 20:07   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Wine and beer are both good.
Well said.
Old 14-05-2009, 20:15   #55

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Actually, I'd like a larger one myself..... Point taken....... Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
The Admiral needs to be relaxed about getting a larger multi and going cruising. I'm torn between saying that multis are unsafe and sail like crap to help keep the price down, and extolling the virtues to avoid her getting cold feet.
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 23:53   #56

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
Here we go. Get a beer and sit back for the fireworks. These threads rank right up there with gun threads and "which anchor is best" threads.
Right there with you.

Besides, everybody knows its a Noveske Afghan and a Rocna

And, while I know 44'cruisingcat and MidLandOne seem to be the source of today's strife, I don't buy it. The real culprit is TropicCat! If it weren't for him whippin' out them heart-shocker paddles and revivin' this thread instead of lettin' it die peacefully in apathy induced coma, this wouldn't be happening.

Clear!

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 02:32   #57
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertcateran View Post
The Admiral needs to be relaxed about getting a larger multi and going cruising. I'm torn between saying that multis are unsafe and sail like crap to help keep the price down, and extolling the virtues to avoid her getting cold feet.
Now that's funny.

I noticed that 2007 was the year that pricing of the older Cats firmed up. Before that there were deals to be had. Now, a reasonably priced Cat has to be looked upon with suspicion.

You are correct of course. Admirals love em.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 04:25   #58

Boat: Privilege 37
At a time when a lot of boat prices have been significantly reduced, that of 40ft cruising cats has remained static

I guess that answers a few questions
Old 15-05-2009, 04:32   #59
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
At a time when a lot of boat prices have been significantly reduced, that of 40ft cruising cats has remained static

I was wondering what the next bubble would be
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 04:37   #60

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post

Well, there's a saying: even when times are bad, the rich always have money.

It's the same with houses. Prices rarely decline much at the top end. It's in the middle and at the low end where the declines occur.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote