Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2013, 09:13   #151

Boat: Able 50
Re: Modern production cruisers at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I am a nice guy, and I'm guessing so are you. This stuff starts out as a quest for knowledge and brain exercise etc, but some folks get upset if they appear to be wrong or do not get their way and then it escalates into a battle.

You actually have a right to attack me somewhat since I did single out your boat in particular. Btw, I like most ALL sailboats especially the fast ones. (but) I think it's interesting to learn what affects what on these boats.

Some guys though simply refuse to learn anything and would rather just get mad and start attacking the individual that disagrees with him..........

This is the next boat I plan to consider buying. I need another boat which will be the polar opposite of my Bristol. Although, this boat does have a bal/disp ratio around 47%, it's rather lightly built at 10,800 lb displacement and being 34' long. The PHRF on this boat is 117, and it has tiller steering. It's a Peterson 34. The draft is 6.25'.

Peterson 34' Sloop

That boat will be very difficult to steer downwind - IOR hull etc etc
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 09:24   #152

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Those posts must have gotten deleted, or I missed all of them. But they would have been correct as the new boats learned the errors of the old boats and now have it right

Well Don, if new boats learned the errors of the old boats maybe you can explain to us why Hunter choose in some models the horrible and weirdo combination of a fractional rig B&R with a inmast furling mainsail hu??
Cheers...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 09:29   #153

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

I love our B&R rig with in-mast furling. It's an awesome setup that either of us can single-hand easily, and our boat sails like a dream.

Somewhere I read Glen Henderson said that after discovering that design he wouldn't design another sailboat any other way, and I would agree.
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 09:35   #154

Yeah ok, how can perform your boat downwind with that rig? Do you know that the prebend and rake in the mast with that setup is no no for inmast furling? just curious...
Old 23-07-2013, 09:42   #155

Our boat does fine downwind. We have a twizzle rig -- twin jibs on poles. In higher winds it does great on one jib alone.

Selden designs their spars specifically for Hunter's B&R rigs. No problems with in-mast furling at all.
Old 23-07-2013, 09:47   #156

And last question, sorry if you dare to answer , is , do you see any advantage in the b&r rig against a clasic setup with backstays and regular lower shrouds?? i ask , because i dont see any benefit apart from saving cost in backstays chainplates and wires and the only thing i see as a bonus is the option to set a big roach mainsail , thank you,.... ahh i forgot , with a inmast furling the roach option is gone...
Old 23-07-2013, 09:48   #157

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
That boat will be very difficult to steer downwind - IOR hull etc etc
(Peterson 34)

Maybe it will help then if I sail it a little higher (than dead down wind) with an aysmmetrical spinnaker.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 09:52   #158

The big roachy mainsail is a huge advantage. The mainsail is where the power is, so the bigger and roachier it is, the better. The B&R rig is not that different than the rig on most catamarans.

Our mainsail has vertical battens, so it has a big roach.

I've sailed many different rigs, and the bottom line to me is, how easy is it to manage and how does it power the boat? For us, the B&R rig is very easy to manage entirely from the cockpit, and it powers the boat beautifully.
Old 23-07-2013, 09:57   #159

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by settingsun View Post
The big roachy mainsail is a huge advantage. The mainsail is where the power is, so the bigger and roachier it is, the better. The B&R rig is not that different than the rig on most catamarans.

Our mainsail has vertical battens, so it has a big roach.

I've sailed many different rigs, and the bottom line to me is, how easy is it to manage and how does it power the boat? For us, the B&R rig is very easy to manage entirely from the cockpit, and it powers the boat beautifully.
That's why catboat rigs like the Nonsuch sail so well and are quite easily handled.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 09:59   #160

Thx Settingsun, to me cant be worst, B&R rig , inmast furling and hell,,, with vertical battens, just a opinion, is a big welcome for jams, but anyway if you are ok with that setup thats nice...Cheers...
Old 23-07-2013, 10:03   #161

Yes, in mast furling jams are a real bummer and it is not uncommon for people who don't know how to use them to experience a problem or two while learning.
Old 23-07-2013, 10:12   #162

No jams in the in-mast furling system, 3.5 years active cruising.

I LOVED my Nonsuch 36. Fantastic boat. Lived and cruised aboard it for 4 years. Also sailed like a dream.

My Nonsuch set my standard very high for what I wanted in a cruising boat 15 years later... Hunter 44DS fit the bill perfectly and fulfilled our dreams to perfection.
Old 23-07-2013, 10:17   #163

Ok, but i bet you that with a full bat car well installed and posible a electric winch in the cockpit im able to rise or drop the mainsail in a matter of seconds, and without the risk of a broken battem or end velcro loose jaming the whole thing in the worst moment, as Don point out, new boats learn from the mistakes of the past , i believe this is just another way to complicate things, and with a risk,,, B&R rigs are prebend by nature, inmast furling dont like mast rake , and vertical battems in a big roachy mainsail can be a pain in the ass , with practique can be ok and the whole thing work nice, but we know in boats sooner or later s$·!!t happen, sorry for the word...
Old 23-07-2013, 10:19   #164

Actually I haven't jammed mine either in 10 years with this boat. I really really love the option of "window shade" reefing and the limitless sail size options that you get from in mast furling (not to mention how easy they are).
Must have been really tough to give up the Nonsuch 36 (I didn't know you had one).
Those are beautifully built and fun to sail boats.
Old 23-07-2013, 10:22   #165

Yes i agree 100% , the reefing options are wide , and from the cockpit, if i can say something positive about this setup.