Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2013, 14:27   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Modern equivalent to an old boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Baba 30 maybe. I love them as they are very old school, full keel, double enders.

"baba 30" - Google Search
nice boat..CT 33 looks a lot like this..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 14:58   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern74 View Post
(...) I suppose it isn't really possible to buy something that is really ready to go.....they are all going to need something done, upgraded or repaired.
I think this applies equally to any other boat. They are generally sold not ready to go. But you can hire an outfitting business to do this job.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 15:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer24 View Post
Modern equivalent of a WS32?

A clawfoot bathtub with a rudder and a sail.
You seem to have an opinion already.

The beauty is in the onlooker's eye. And only racing boats can exceed their displacement speed.

b.
Old 19-02-2013, 15:36   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You seem to have an opinion already.

The beauty is in the onlooker's eye. And only racing boats can exceed their displacement speed.

b.
I promise to learn how to paste and copy,meanwhile ,I was reading an article about the Cheribini 44 being able to sail beyond Disp.S..something in the bow area being the design factor to allow it to do so..??
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 15:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I promise to learn how to paste and copy,meanwhile ,I was reading an article about the Cheribini 44 being able to sail beyond Disp.S..something in the bow area being the design factor to allow it to do so..??
This is for another thread perhaps. Like 'which factors and how influence displacement speed'.

b.
Old 19-02-2013, 17:28   #21

Boat: Looking...

Westsail owners love their boats. The reason is that they want to get out there and do it rather than sit around telling people why their approach is full of holes. Many W32s have been superbly maintained. They can get you where you want to go. Slower than others. So what? Are you cruising or racing? Look at the Westsail listings on line at Westsail.com. And check out Westsail group on Facebook. It is a great and mutually supportive community. The boats are amazingly tough, and excellent examples are available for purchase.

Of course, get a good survey before any purchase. But know that support is out there.

I sailed my W-32 for thousands of miles on the east coast of the US and through the Caribbean, and never worried about the boat's strength through the toughest storms. One survived the perfect storm with no problems after being abandoned.

Westsail the World - it can still be done, and for a lot less than those who diss the boats will admit - or ever be able to accomplish themselves.

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 18:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail374 View Post
(...) Slower than others. (...)
Not really. The number of factors that affect the effective (attained rather than calculated) speed is so vast that any perceived deficiency disappears in real life.

b.
Old 19-02-2013, 18:17   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Modern equivalent to an old boat

This is one of the UK's modern equivalents..
Cornish Crabber Pilot Cutter 30 archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 18:41   #24

When I had my Westsail surveyed a few years ago replacement cost was listed as $300,000.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 18:45   #25

Ask Roverhi what his daily runs in what he lovingly refered to as a Wetsnail 32 were? It is the man, not the boat that makes the biggest difference. I turned in great passage times in my Contessa 26 mostly because I was young and dumb and thought that surfing down waves with the windvane steering was normal(it worked for me). You take 10 different sailors with identical boats and you would have dramatically different averages on the same passage. Sure an Olson 30 will outsail a cruising boat, but do you want to live on one?____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 05:18   #26

I will agree with those seeing a BCC type of boat as 'a modern equivalent' of a Westsail. These look great and sail very well too and they can be had new. Price point is quite different though.

I think a BCC type of boat seems less spacious inside than a W32 - low topsides play a role (much of the topside we see on a BCC is actually NOT their hull).

b.

b.
Old 20-02-2013, 12:41   #27

Ahoy Bern74,
My opinion comes from having owned a W-32 for 35+ years, sailed it 60,000nm, and as a delivery skipper with more than 150 deliveries to compare the W-32 to. To answer your question: Yes there are other more modern boats that are equal to the W-32 in some ways. Most modern boats are better in some ways, while those same modern boats are inferior in other ways. There is no modern boat that is better in all ways. My suggestion would be to research used W-32's buy one, then make any changes that are necessary to make it yours.
To Seafarer24: It is obvious what you think of the W-32, but I am curious as to what you think of all the more modern boats that have been beaten by a W-32 in some of the TransPac Races Boat for Boat? A cal 35, C&C 31 and 37, Erickson 35 and 46, Valiant 40, Islander 36, Cascade 36, just to name a few. If you were not aware of any of this, Well, you are now.
When it comes to boat performance, in whatever condition, I am aware of some of the many many factors that will affect an end result.
Good luck to you Bern74, I am happy with my choice of boat. I hope you will be too.

+
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 16:09   #28

Quote:
(...) all the more modern boats that have been beaten by a W-32 in some of the TransPac races boat for boat? A cal 35, C&C 31 and 37, Erickson 35 and 46, Valiant 40, Islander 36, Cascade 36, just to name a few.(...)
WESTSAIL 32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
first built 1971
ISLANDER 36 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
first built 1971
VALIANT 40-1 (101-199) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
first built 1973
ERICSON 35-1 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
first built 1963 (sic!)

Now define more modern.

b.
Old 20-02-2013, 19:35   #29

The man at the helm (or in charge) has more to do with speed than the design of most cruising boats. Many so called old designs have turned in good passages when more modern designs(with layed back crews) didnt do so good. I am not a fan of most of the old designs, but with a good crew, they will turn in some good passages. If the comparison is in going to weather, then the modern boats will usually do better, but again it has much to do with the crew. Learn how to get the most out of what you sail, rather than looking for the miracle boat that will turn you into a good cruiser.____You get what you pay for, and my advice is 2 cents worth._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 21:55   #30

barnakiel,
Your response was expected. You chose to show everyone the "first built" year. Not the "Design" year. For those who don't know the Westsail 32 was the William Atkin design named "Eric" from the 1920's, taken from the lines of a Colin Archer from the 1890's. Every boat you profiled is at least 1/2 century newer in design. Does that not make them "more modern" as I said. Also, the boats I mentioned comprise a very large percentage of the cruising boats out there at this time. Many owners bought them partly because "at least they are faster than a Westsail". Would you have been more satisfied if I had also mentioned that the Westsail beat Boat for Boat an express 27 or a Catalina 309? I doubt it. Regrettably, the Westsail lost to an Olson 34 by 1 hour and 12 minutes after the 17 days. There is no need to quote Webster as to the definition of "Modern" . As it applies to sailboat design the term is extremely subjective - and you know it.
gjordan, You are completely accurate about the crew being the biggest determining factor in boat speed. So much so that the design itself is NEVER going to assure that one boat is faster than another. That includes going to weather, or in light airs, or storm conditions or etc, etc, etc.
Thankyou
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote