Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2013, 07:33   #1

Mmast Rrepair Aadvice -- 1978 ODay 30

Hey everybody. My Oday had an unfortunate incident and is now dismasted. It is a keel stepped mast, about 46 feet total in length. It sheared off at the deck.

I'm wondering about repairs. Is it possible to weld it back together, do I need an entirely new mast...? If anyone knows of any other mast repair techniques, please fill me in.

It didnt break any chainplates, it just broke the backstay, and it landed on the starboard bow pulpit rail and forced it through the deck. Any advice on that would be welcome as well.

Live Slow, Sail Fast.
fonkoolair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 08:12   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Mmast Rrepair Aadvice -- 1978 ODay 30

You need to check if the mast is bend after falling down, if is bend, you cant do nothing to make it true again, probably a inner mast section and the 2 pieces screwed in the section can do the trick, but you are going to loose some mast material anyway, so later rigging, furler and sails can need shortened anyway, and the 2 pieces need to be cut perfect to macht against each other , normally this is how many new productions masts are delivery to offshore riggers , example can be the new mast we fit in a lagoon 41 2 weeks agoo , a insert in the midle and the 2 pieces screwed,the owner complaint but is Lagoon who can deliver the mast like that right now, compresion loads are great in a mast so you need plenty of screws in both sides of the mast for the insert, i recomend you contact your local rigging shop or rigger and ask for a insert for your particular mast , many old production masts are out of bussines and you need to fabricate a insert instead, mast wall thicknes are considered for the insert to,this is just a idea , hope it help. good luck.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 08:24   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Mast repairs are actually fairly common. Most times they are welded or riveted. Screwing one together is new to me but if it works then why not. You might be able to by a matching piece if the mast is damaged and keep your existing length. RigRite has a good selection of older masts sections and profiles. You might be able to match it up.
Rig-Rite Inc. - Masts, Booms, Spars, Rigging, and Hardware for Sailboats.
Old 16-06-2013, 08:39   #4

They are often sleeved and joined on brand new ones, so no problem repairing yours. Sleeving and welding, riveting and even structural epoxy and riveting have all been done.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast