Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2011, 09:54   #1

Mining for Suggestions for 'The Boat'

Hi to all from a lurker - This is a request for suggestions for boats to put on my "Look At" list as I try to trim down what I want to consider.

Boat to be used for: Sailing around the Caribbean, taking my time and possibly spending 4-6 years living aboard, stopping wherever and everywhere, living on the hook, lots of skin diving and lazying. I have done this already, so know what to expect, which has helped with my "I want" list, and I have started to make plans to accumulate funds for the purchase of The Boat. I have no plans to sail across either pond, although coming down from the East or Gulf Coast is possible if necessary.

Monohull
Sloop / cutter
37' - 44'
Concentrating on large aft cockpit, but......
Draft less than 6'.
2 Cabins and 1 head only.
Roomy down below with possible room for tiny shop/parts (maybe convert a second head into the shop.)
Teak deck is not preferred.
Nice galley with reefer and freezer.
Single handed - maybe although I may have a friend that makes that not so important anymore.
Stern configuration swimmer-friendly.
Dodger and Bimini so that we can live outside in RAIN such as St Martin got most of the past winter.
Water capacity at least 100 gal.
Fuel capacity at least 40 gallons.
Good anchor locker configuration, I hate pyramiding the chain.
Dual anchor rollers
$135k or less

Thanks for the help!!!

The Caribbeaner
97fxdwgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 10:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Mining for Suggestions for The Boat??

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Caribbeaner.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 10:35   #3

Boat: Vagabond 42

Welcome!
And happy hunting! P-)
Old 14-05-2011, 12:33   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

OK, I'll start.

Island Packet 37 or 38. Nice cruising boats with plenty of room. You can check out the builder's brochures at Island Packet Yachts

And welcome to CF.
Old 14-05-2011, 12:44   #5

Hi. I have n/m Morgan 45. I live aboard with wife and son. Boat is 1985. Really good condition. We spend 4 weeks at a time in the exumas. Has all we need for the month without resupplying.

100gal diesel
200 gal water.

We motor at 7 knots under a gallon. Sails really well. Draft is 5.5' and has a cb that does not bang around and makes all the difference up wind. We have all the canvas you can imagine and a sugar scoop for boarding. Price of the Morgans is under your limit. Avoid anything pre 1984 as there were issues that needed resolving.

If you want a live aboard you must see a n/m Morgan.

I don't want to advertise but we will be selling ours in a couple of months.

Regardless what you choose, consider these boats.
wrublewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 13:03   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrublewski View Post
Hi. I have n/m Morgan 45. ... Price of the Morgans is under your limit. Avoid anything pre 1984 as there were issues that needed resolving.
Regardless what you choose, consider these boats.
Are you referring to just the Morgan 45's pre 1984 or all Morgans? What issues are you referring to, as I am considering a Morgan 416.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 13:34   #7

Just to the Nelson marek Catalina Morgan 45.

Pre 1985 the boats have no sugar scoop. No dedicated shower. Smaller cockpit. Had mast step compression problems. 2 part mast. And were generally poorly laid out.

As for the Morgan you are considering. I read what you want to do with the boat. You do not need a heavy pig of a boat to accomplish what you require. Larger size will always be better as long as the sail loads are distributed properly. Go for a newer design that will be faster. Personally I think cabin boats start at 40' so I would not bother with anything smaller.

I cruise without any generation, so I cut out most power consumption. What is key for me is tons of fresh water as no salt comes into the cabin making frequent rinsing necessary. This for me means large fresh water tanks.

If your budget is 135k do not get a fix it up boat. It's not worth the effort. The time you spend and the cost of new equipment will negate your investment. Find a boat you like from someone who is actively cruising the boat and has it all set up. I can't stress that enough. There will always be work to do even with a turn key boat. It's much nicer to worry about boat comforts and esthetics rather than make "survival" repairs.
Old 14-05-2011, 13:39   #8

Oh. I also suggest a large, fast, seaworthy inflatable. This means heavy duty davits.
Old 14-05-2011, 13:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrublewski View Post
Just to the Nelson marek Catalina Morgan 45.

Pre 1985 the boats have no sugar scoop. No dedicated shower. Smaller cockpit. Had mast step compression problems. 2 part mast. And were generally poorly laid out.

As for the Morgan you are considering. I read what you want to do with the boat. You do not need a heavy pig of a boat to accomplish what you require. Larger size will always be better as long as the sail loads are distributed properly. Go for a newer design that will be faster. Personally I think cabin boats start at 40' so I would not bother with anything smaller.

I cruise without any generation, so I cut out most power consumption. What is key for me is tons of fresh water as no salt comes into the cabin making frequent rinsing necessary. This for me means large fresh water tanks.

If your budget is 135k do not get a fix it up boat. It's not worth the effort. The time you spend and the cost of new equipment will negate your investment. Find a boat you like from someone who is actively cruising the boat and has it all set up. I can't stress that enough. There will always be work to do even with a turn key boat. It's much nicer to worry about boat comforts and esthetics rather than make "survival" repairs.
Thank you all - I'm going to have some fun following through searching out these suggestions.!!

Don't stop now. I may not respond/answer/acknowledge, but I'm reading and occasionally even working for the the $$ for the boat. The boat at the 135k would have to be completely ready, a project boat would have to be 95k or less.
Old 14-05-2011, 16:20   #10

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeaner View Post

Boat to be used for: Sailing around the Caribbean, I have no plans to sail across either pond, although coming down from the East or Gulf Coast is possible if necessary.

Monohull
Sloop / cutter
37' - 44'
Concentrating on large aft cockpit, but......
Draft less than 6'.
2 Cabins and 1 head only.
Roomy down below with possible room for tiny shop/parts (maybe convert a second head into the shop.)
Teak deck is not preferred.
Nice galley with reefer and freezer.
Single handed - maybe although I may have a friend that makes that not so important anymore.
Stern configuration swimmer-friendly.
Dodger and Bimini so that we can live outside in RAIN such as St Martin got most of the past winter.
Water capacity at least 100 gal.
Fuel capacity at least 40 gallons.
Good anchor locker configuration, I hate pyramiding the chain.
Dual anchor rollers
$135k or less

Thanks for the help!!!

The Caribbeaner
Frankly, any boat will serve your stated purpose and description. It's all about condition and value. Among the most popular are Hunter, Beneteau and Catalina all of which are equivalent in quality and construction, fit your specs and are designed to do precisely what you described. As will virtually any other boat.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 16:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Frankly, any boat will serve your stated purpose and description. It's all about condition and value. Among the most popular are Hunter, Beneteau and Catalina all of which are equivalent in quality and construction, fit your specs and are designed to do precisely what you described. As will virtually any other boat.
Well that was certainly helpful. Thanks.
Old 14-05-2011, 16:30   #12

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeaner View Post
Well that was certainly helpful. Thanks.
Sorry if you didn't like it but it is quite true nevertheless.

Unless you can narrow your search, you are bound to receive responses such as some of the above in which posters suggests the same boat they own as most people tend to think their choice is the best.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 16:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Sorry if you didn't like it but it is quite true nevertheless.
Of course it's not true. I'm moving FROM one of those boats you mentioned because it doesn't have everything on the list. Which is why I was asking for assistance. If you don't have any helpful ideas....... Lurking here has really taught me that there is a preponderance of monumental egos who are convinced that their opinion is the only one of value.
Old 14-05-2011, 16:36   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mining for Suggestions for The Boat??

How about this... I believe its the two cabin version and has the requested 2 heads for a possible conversion...
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.=

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 16:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
How about this... I believe its the two cabin version and has the requested 2 heads for a possible conversion...
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.=
Thank you - worth getting on the Look at it closer list. Not to be too nit-picky, but I was hoping to find a single head boat, and was thinking that IF there were two, I could maybe work the mini-shop conversion issue. Thanks!