Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2011, 18:06   #16

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Mining for Suggestions for The Boat??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeaner View Post
Of course it's not true. I'm moving FROM one of those boats you mentioned because it doesn't have everything on the list. Which is why I was asking for assistance. If you don't have any helpful ideas....... Lurking here has really taught me that there is a preponderance of monumental egos who are convinced that their opinion is the only one of value.

It's not ego but perhaps something else... Can you describe specifically what in your criteria isn't generic or that isn't common to any of the boats I mentioned?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 18:30   #17

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Mining for Suggestions for 'The Boat'

I dare say anything nearly new (i.e. less than 10 years old), above 40 ft is going to have 2 heads.

While I'm sure they are out there, I've only seen small work shops in center cockpit boats like the Morgans, etc.

I supposed you could take the stowage area under the stbd seats of an aft cockpit boat and turn it into a small shop. Then again if you get a three cabin version of say a Catalina or Bene, you could convert on cabin into a very nice shop and stowage area.

In any case, I'd be looking at a early 2000's Bene, Hunter or Catalina to meet your needs.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 19:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
It's not ego but perhaps something else... Can you describe specifically what in your criteria isn't generic or that isn't common to any of the boats I mentioned?
How about if I just ask you to put me on ignore? Would that suffice for you? Notice others helping rather than saying, "Frankly any boat would fit your description...." Thanks.
97fxdwgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 19:32   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I dare say anything nearly new (i.e. less than 10 years old), above 40 ft is going to have 2 heads.

While I'm sure they are out there, I've only seen small work shops in center cockpit boats like the Morgans, etc.

I supposed you could take the stowage area under the stbd seats of an aft cockpit boat and turn it into a small shop. Then again if you get a three cabin version of say a Catalina or Bene, you could convert on cabin into a very nice shop and stowage area.

In any case, I'd be looking at a early 2000's Bene, Hunter or Catalina to meet your needs.
Thanks, I think I've put the Catalina 42 on my To Look at List. And I'm afraid that the 1 head only "requirement" is going to go by the wayside.

I appreciate the input.
Old 14-05-2011, 19:34   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mining for Suggestions for 'The Boat'

Quote:
Thanks, I think I've put the Catalina 42 on my To Look at List. And I'm afraid that the 1 head only "requirement" is going to go by the wayside.

I appreciate the input.
In that case.....
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.&
Not affiliated... just like their style of treating customers

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 20:44   #21

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In that case.....
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.&
Not affiliated... just like their style of treating customers
Also it helps to buy a boat there if one is going to cruise there.

We too have the Catalina 42's on our list.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 05:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Also it helps to buy a boat there if one is going to cruise there.

We too have the Catalina 42's on our list.
Yep - Buying there takes a lot of the other considrations away. Let me know what your feelings are towards the Catalina 42 when you're getting down to the nitty-gritty.
Thanks.
Old 15-05-2011, 06:06   #23

Quote:
How about if I just ask you to put me on ignore? Would that suffice for you? Notice others helping rather than saying, "Frankly any boat would fit your description...." Thanks.
I was trying to help but you just took it defensively.
So I take it you can't answer my question, "describe specifically what in your criteria isn't generic or that isn't common to any of the boats I mentioned"???????
Old 15-05-2011, 06:20   #24

Quote:
I was trying to help but you just took it defensively.
So I take it you can't answer my question, "describe specifically what in your criteria isn't generic or that isn't common to any of the boats I mentioned"???????

Please......... Go Away. I appreciate (not really) your attempt to help (boost your ego), so please, go away. You're not helping while others are.

Thanks so much.
Old 15-05-2011, 07:08   #25

No problem. Since your description applies to hundreds of boats, your search should be jaw-dropping. You might however, consider asking yourself the question I can't seem to get you to write an answer to here.
Old 15-05-2011, 09:11   #26

For the $ a Catalina 42 is a nice boat. These are not strong built boats though. Yet, are they strong enough? That may depend on how good a skipper you are and thus how much you lessen your risks. I used to work for a charter company up here in the NW, and charter skippered the 42's as well as checked them out and in. One customer hit a rock and we had to get him back in on an emergency basis. The hull flexed so much that it cracked just forward and aft of the keel. (hull was pulled down in front and up in back) This broke the engine bed loose and some cabinetry also. Major damage. Just sayin'....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 09:16   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Sounds like the ideal would be a Catamaran.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 11:05   #28

Quote:
No problem. Since your description applies to hundreds of boats, your search should be jaw-dropping. You might however, consider asking yourself the question I can't seem to get you to write an answer to here.

You might more accurately ask the question as to why you can't keep your mouth shut when your opinion is no longer requested, asked for, needed or wanted. There actually appears to be people on this forum and this thread who understood it, and have attempted to assist with this little search of mine. You ought to go back and see what you have to say in gerneral, about a lot of things.

But okay, you asked, and asked, and asked again, this is your initial snotty response:

Frankly, any boat will serve your stated purpose and description. It's all about condition and value. Among the most popular are Hunter, Beneteau and Catalina all of which are equivalent in quality and construction, fit your specs and are designed to do precisely what you described. As will virtually any other boat.

As soon as you said that, your opinion is not longer worth my time. Fine, I can live with that. Are there Beneteaus, Hunters, and Catalina that fit this bill? Of course, but not all models on these do and it was kind of nice to hear people give specifics. But since you want to take this thing over, its all yours. Thanks to the folks who gave me some useful info.

I’m out of here.