Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-01-2011, 07:12   #1

Metal Boat Suited for Sailing to Antarctica

Having sailed to Greenland this summer I am currently looking at expanding my horizon with a trip around South America via Antarctica.

For this purpose I will need a sturdy metal boat in the range of 42-50 feet, and hope for advice from this forum. First a few general thoughts to set the arena for the discussion:

- I have currently looked at the Ovni range. The primary reason is that the center boarder is a big advantage in case of impact which is more likely in poorly mapped areas. In addition a center boarder gives access to a greater range of areas to anchor the boat, an argument of special value in icy waters.
- The seaworthiness is of course of major importance.
- I also want a boat that is possible to sell with ease after an expedition in Europe. This excludes homebuilt and unknown boats, although I am sure many of these are of superior quality.
- Budget range up to 450 000 USD

My questions in short:
- Any thoughts for suited metal boats that I can search for on yachtworld? (With or without a liftable keel)
- Any thoughts on the use of an ovni/centerboarder for sailing to Antarctica?

Additional comments and thoughts on boats suited for this kind of sailing is appreciated.

Amor fati,

Andreas

Old 21-01-2011, 08:44   #2
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Andreas, I have always been a fan of Kanter yachts for metal construction. Over the years they have built out both steel (early on)and aluminum. Here is a one that I found that would seem well suited to your intended voyage, at significantly less cost than your budgeted maximum:

1988 Kanter Pilothouse Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Yes, it is built out of steel and not aluminum. However, steel provides the ultimate in strength and can be repaired cheaply virtually anywhere in the world, without the need for TIG welding equipment.

Furthermore, the pilothouse arrangement is one I would definitely want if rounding the horn. Corrosion? Yes, a potential problem. But Kanters were well constructed with large limber holes, no verticle frames against the hull plating, good interior coatings and properly installed insulation.

Anyway, perhaps food for thought.

Cheers!

Brad

Old 21-01-2011, 09:48   #3

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I would look at these. Aluminum with a lifting keel, but not cheap.

Atlantic Aluminium zeiljachten | home | Atlantic Yachts
Old 21-01-2011, 16:57   #4

I have a friend who use to run charters down into Antarctica. He had a boat that was built by Sinek yachts in Kapowsin Washington. The keel was retractable into a trunk and the rudder had a hydralic acctuator that would swing it up. The idea was to get inshore to anchor where the bergee bits could not float in and bump you. Polar Mist was her name and I think it was a Bruce Far design. I think it was 54'.
Here is some other info on Sinek.

Ted Brewer Yacht Design

Aluminum pilothouse cruiser FOR SALE from Coral Gables Florida Miami Dade @ Adpost.com Classifieds > USA > Aluminum pilothouse cruiser FOR SALE from Coral Gables Florida Miami Dade,free,classified ad,classified ads,secondhand,second hand

Polar Mist and Richard Crowe
http://www.meretdesign.fr/architectu...Polar-Mist.pdf
Old 21-01-2011, 19:25   #5

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Look at Van de Stadt designs

Alan
Old 23-01-2011, 09:07   #6

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglooff View Post
Look at Van de Stadt designs

Alan
Dick Zaal, who designs most of the Atlantics (see my link above), started at Van de Stadt and worked there for many years.
Old 23-01-2011, 09:14   #7

Boat: Brewer Canyon 43 steel #2
Steel

1986 Brewer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

You ight want to look at this one. It is actually a Canyon 43 designed by Ted Brewer and was built by Canyon Industries in WA state and is the same boat that Ted has pictures of on his website. I own Hull#2 and the one listed is a steal.
Old 31-01-2011, 05:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I would look at these. Aluminum with a lifting keel, but not cheap.

Atlantic Aluminium zeiljachten | home | Atlantic Yachts

Nice boats indeed and seemingly surpassing Ovnis in most regards. But as you say, not cheap, and outside my budget. Probably few used boats on the market as well. Thank you for the advice nevertheless.

Old 31-01-2011, 05:55   #9

Thank you for all good suggestions. The Atlantic was of particular interest, although outside my budget range. Any views regarding the suitability of an Ovni for sailing to the Antarctic Peninsula?
Old 31-01-2011, 07:41   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
It has been my ambition to do a trip to Greenland. I had hoped to do it last year but it did not work out. Perhaps this year. I have a Ted Brewer designed Murray 33 cutter with hard chine laying in Bonavista, Newfoundland so she is in the right spot to make the jump. Last summer we came across a French purpose built arctic expedition aluminum cutter in Bonavista. Nice but rugged looking. All the safety lines were welded pipe.

From your original post I get the idea you are looking for a "production" boat. That will be very difficlut as there are just so few.

Also aluminum boats are just much more expensive than steel, so that becomes another limitation. I understand you want to sell the boat later and want it to retain it's resale value Thus your preference for aluminium??? The other rationalization is that you can buy more boat in steel or spend less for the same boat and thus have less at risk. Or loosing 20% on a $200,000 boat is the same as loosing $10% on a $400,000 boat.

That said, I would point you to looking at what Beth Leonard and Evans Starzanger did. S/V Hawk

This is a boat, purpose built for high latitude sailing. Perhaps if you use that as a model you would do well.

Hawk is a high performance and low maintenance 'expedition' boat.
Designer:....Van De Stadt
Builder:.... Topper Hermanson and Evans & Beth 1997
Type: Fractional Sloop LOA:....47' LWL:....39'6" Beam:....14'9" Ballast:....14,000 lbs. Displacement:....30,000 lbs. (dry & empty) Draft:....2.1m SA (sq.ft.):....1,300
Water:....200gal, Fuel:....200gal

Another good source of material is: Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising.

I do think you can find suitable vessels in either material.

Last year we went to closing on a custom built aluminum but only to walk away after the survey principally due to weld quality in the construction. I looked at several aluminum boats and found them all similar in weld quantity and quality and different from the boat in question. We ended up buying a steel boat for considerably less money and a new engine. I could find a lot of alloy boats, but none we could afford. Having bought the boat we discovered the hull had been flame sprayed with aluminum. So we now have two steel boats, the Murray 33 and a Pape 44. Both cutters. Silly, but it is where we are in life.

All that being said, there was a guy who sailed a 34' (I think) wood Bristol Channel Cutter, through the NW passage two years ago. His crew were his wife and two early teen daughters.

Since you got me wasting some time:
Glory of the Sea 50' al: http://sailboat-for-sale.periple.com/
Seal 56' al: http://www.expeditionsail.com/contac...lboat-seal.htm
Mona Lisa 61': http://www.yachtmonalisa.com/
Morgans Cloud: http://www.morganscloud.com/about/morgans-cloud/
Puffin: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002...en/Netherlands
Samoa: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993...-Almeria/Spain
Samoa: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989...armaris/Turkey
Brewer: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1992.../United-States
Old 31-01-2011, 07:46   #11
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would agree, go with a steel boat. I would have concerns about the AVS of the OVNI range, since all the ballast is in the canoe body.

Dave
Old 05-02-2011, 08:36   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Click on image to enlarge 50' McMullen & Wing

• Year: 1988
  • Current Price: Can$ 295,000
    (US$ 298,452)
  • Located In St. John's, NL
  • Hull Material: Aluminum
  • Engine/Fuel Type: Single diesel
  • YW# 33184-2263288

Other photos: Bow, Underside of vessel, Stern, Propellor, Wheelhouse, Navigation station, Navigation station, Profile view, Washroom, Engine, Bottom of boat, Profile.

1988 50' aluminum cutter rigged pilothouse built in New Zeland by Mc Mullen & Wing for a Hong Kong buyer. Current owner did a complete refit from 2001-2005 including new engine (100 HP Diesel), generator, three water tight bulkheads, new pilothouse and modified transome, three fuel tanks (center 400 liter and 2 wing tanks of 700 liters each). Hull is 5000 series aluminum with 7.5 mm below the water line.
The vessel just completed an Atlantic circumnavigation and is ready to go again. It is set up for short handed sailing to high latitudes in comfort and safety.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:19   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boatman,

Your first link, a Pape Steelmaid ketch?

A little less than a year ago we bought one of these that was built as a cutter. Not many of those around.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:21   #15
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Boatman,

Your first link, a Pape Steelmaid ketch?

A little less than a year ago we bought one of these that was built as a cutter. Not many of those around.
I take it you were not impressed by Alan Pape's design....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: