Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2013, 07:18   #226

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Merged- Windigo Abandoned. Please Help

Agree with David, logical and cheap way is chainshaw and truck scenario, last year a Beneteau 50 collided with rocks close to St Barth, and sunk in shallow waters of a marine park, Tug boat arrive in st marteen with the wreck and 3 guys slice the hull in one day with chainshaws, sad to see.....
Old 15-03-2013, 07:32   #227

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Merged- Windigo Abandoned. Please Help

Buddy told me he chainsawed a FG boat into a pile and burned it. Think it would be as simple as that? (Forgetting about the National Park angle.)
Old 15-03-2013, 07:41   #228
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Merged- Windigo Abandoned. Please Help

Bad word in OZ... fire.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-03-2013, 07:46   #229

Boat: O'Day 28

Gotcha. Wonder if it would burn up to a small pile?
Old 15-03-2013, 07:53   #230

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i feel only sad for the boat, but i dont feel for the individuals who LEFT that boat in perfectly good condition to sail the ocean alone without people to guide and protect it. they fouled up. they were "rescued" from a floating boat. it sailed itself into oz without them .. they lost.
Wow, apparently I'm in the "consensus" group for a change.

Was anyone else reminded of the efforts of the owner of Satori to salvage his beached boat (even as he nursed his broken arm?).

Westsail Owners Association - Satori - Perfect Storm the whole story

As far as I know, Satori still sails today.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 15-03-2013, 08:02   #231
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

did owner of satori whine about the fact his boat was washed onto a beach?/ did he whine about fees and problems encountered after the beaching of his boat??

or did he just go out and do it.
Old 15-03-2013, 08:37   #232

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

The latter. I suspect he's dead of old age or very old now, but he just kept sailing Satori without, as far as I can tell, any whining whatsoever.

The best revenge?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 15-03-2013, 09:22   #233

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

You can't have it both ways. If you say it was Abandoned and its not their boat anymore, now you can't say it suddenly is again.
Old 15-03-2013, 09:43   #234
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
You can't have it both ways. If you say it was Abandoned and its not their boat anymore, now you can't say it suddenly is again.
if ye hold the papers you pay the disposal fees......is called responsibility for ones actions. good stuff to know in life.
Old 15-03-2013, 10:06   #235

Boat: Sceptre 41

I would take that job on for less then $60k. If you can't access it by road then a small barge and a skiff along with the chainsaw. Problem is you would probably have to clean up all of the F/G dust that landed on the beach.

A friend of mine is a fire fighter. A fire broke out in a National Forest that was a protected wilderness. No engines of any sort were allowed. There were two Bulldozers just outside of the forest on stand by and they could have cleaned up the ignition point in a few minutes. Instead hundreds of thousands acres of forest were lost.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 15-03-2013, 12:11   #236
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I would take that job on for less then $60k. If you can't access it by road then a small barge and a skiff along with the chainsaw. Problem is you would probably have to clean up all of the F/G dust that landed on the beach.
One of the advantages over here is having 40' tides - plus not having so many Eco-Nazis .

Dunno about the tidal range in that locale, but must be at least a couple of foot - in any event will also be storm surges (boat didn't get onshore from walking!).......therefore a shovel into the sea / tideline should "cure" the f/g dust .

If only able to access by water, then I would lighten her up (with the chainsaw) so I could tow her off - and if she then sank before she got to the UK.........well, that would just be unfortunate .
Old 15-03-2013, 14:31   #237

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

There is a large steel trawler on the reef near cooktown. It was deliberately run onto the reef in 1987 it's still there. It's an interesting story I'll post a couple of links. Also it is claimed to be the first UK fishing boat to be fitted with radar.
So why pick this Windigo and ignore dozens of others ?

Rinovia GY 527 - Trawler Photos Gallery

emily reef wreck...ships log | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

M.V.Debut - Ships Nostalgia
Old 15-03-2013, 18:47   #238

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Lemming
Old 15-03-2013, 20:17   #239
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
They abandoned their boat.. not their responsibilities.

Useful lesson to other skippers who want to leave their floating boat in the middle of the ocean…. Better to scuttle it and make sure it sinks
Old 15-03-2013, 21:21   #240

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
They abandoned their boat.. not their responsibilities.

Useful lesson to other skippers who want to leave their floating boat in the middle of the ocean…. Better to scuttle it and make sure it sinks
You can't have it both ways. If you claim they still own it, then plundering it is illegal. Maybe this particular case the owners ARE (or WERE) claiming they did not abandon it. I'm not a lawyer, but I would GET ONE if I were this couple.

ABANDONMENT. In maritime contracts in the civil law, principals are generally held indefinitely responsible for the obligations which their agents have contracted relative to the concern of their commission but with regard to ship owners there is remarkable peculiarity; they are bound by the contract of the master only to the amount of their interest in the ship, and can be discharged from their responsibility by abandoning the ship and freight. Poth. Chartes part. s. 2, art. 3, Sec. 51; Ord. de la Mar. des proprietaires, art. 2; Code de Com. 1. 2, t. 2, art. 216.
Closed Thread

Tags
rescue