Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 23-11-2012, 07:32   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Merged- Windigo Abandoned. Please Help

The day we feel qualified to pass judgement on another sailor is probably the day we should get out of the water. The OP just asked for help finding their boat. If we want to discuss the morality of leaving a boat somewhere, there are tons of threads for that. I vote we find the boat and go from there...
So anybody between NZ and Oz seen a boat? If I were them I would be checking with the merchant marine. I see a lot more of them when I am offshore.

Old 23-11-2012, 07:35   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
The day we feel qualified to pass judgement on another sailor is probably the day we should get out of the water. The OP just asked for help finding their boat. If we want to discuss the morality of leaving a boat somewhere, there are tons of threads for that. I vote we find the boat and go from there...
+1

It's easy to make judgments sitting in an armchair.
Injured, no rudder control,50k, portholes damaged the situation would look very different at the coal face.

Lets hope, and try to assist, a positive outcome for the OP, rather than becoming judge and jury

Old 23-11-2012, 07:43   #33

As to the suggestion to sink such a boat, I would not do so. First, thinking practically here, I wouldn't want to bring my boat anywhere near the boat, in order to avoid damage to my own boat. And, unless life was at stake I am not going to allow anyone from my boat, myself included, to transfer over to an abandoned boat offshore. Similarly, I'm not going to risk my boat and crew by taking that boat in tow. That is just poor seamanship and taking unnecessary risks, IMHO. If I operated a steel fishing trawler I might act differently. If you stumbled upon such a craft I would recommend the following: ascertain as best you can that nobody is aboard, note all possible identification, note the position and alert the authorities. That is the best course of action.
Old 23-11-2012, 07:49   #34

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

An old salt I did a short trip with (Boatman) suggested notifying the local authorities of a 'Hazard to Shipping' with a estimated location and likely range from this estimated. This is probably the most likely way to get an updated fix on current location which would then give a good chance of making/organising a recovery yourself.
Old 23-11-2012, 08:16   #35

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
As to the suggestion to sink such a boat, I would not do so. First, thinking practically here, I wouldn't want to bring my boat anywhere near the boat, in order to avoid damage to my own boat. And, unless life was at stake I am not going to allow anyone from my boat, myself included, to transfer over to an abandoned boat offshore. Similarly, I'm not going to risk my boat and crew by taking that boat in tow. That is just poor seamanship and taking unnecessary risks, IMHO. If I operated a steel fishing trawler I might act differently. If you stumbled upon such a craft I would recommend the following: ascertain as best you can that nobody is aboard, note all possible identification, note the position and alert the authorities. That is the best course of action.
Well, I do operate a steel cutter...

Generally, I would agree with each one of your points, however...

If I found something at the halfway point between Panama and the Marqueses, in a flat sea, not responding to a hail and with poor SSB propagation (and who would I call? Ecuador? The USCG?), I might very well attempt a boarding, just to make sure there wasn't an unconscious solo sailor at the foot of the companionway. That sort of thing has happened, and I would be remiss in my duty to fellow sailors if we couldn't (safely to the best of our ability to judge) rule out that someone wasn't in need of medical or similar attention.

Similarly, cruising is full of older individuals. If I found someone dead aboard, from causes unknown, I would imagine someone, somewhere would wish to be notified.

The environmental circumstances would dictate the response to board or not, and what we found...and who...and in what state...would inform us as to our next steps.

If, due to AIS and regular comms, we could "see" a merchant vessel nearby, for instance, we might simply alert them to what we stumbled across, and let them handle it as being better equipped. Some commercial vessels can crane a typical cruiser on their decks with ease; others can't.
Old 23-11-2012, 08:26   #36

Obviously, weather conditions would play a big part. In my experience offshore it is very rare that it is calm enough to think about bringing my boat alongside another vessel. I have been boarded a few times offshore by the CG and the Mexican Navy, and both times they came alongside in rigid inflatables and both times it took some tricky maneuvering and I could see there was a great chance of something going wrong. I think that would be the only safe way to go onboard another vessel offshore--do it via dinghy. First the chances of stumbling upon such a boat are vanishingly remote. Then the chances that someone, dead or alive, is still onboard get even more remote. So this is a very hypothetical thread--it just ain't gonna happen! The safety and lives of those aboard my own vessel, on the other hand, will always take precedence.
Old 23-11-2012, 10:07   #37

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
. but I find value in the theoretical discussion as it educates me on what I should attempt in similar circumstances.
On a slightly similar vein,reading through the log of a solo offshore passage recently, there are fairly large bits where what happened and was written down differs significantly to how I remember it. I would say a large part of preparing for bad stuff is admitting that you can't really predict accurately how you will react out there. And if you want to know what happened afterwards then write it down, cos memory isn't to be trusted
Old 23-11-2012, 10:20   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

was she dismasted? if so was the rig cut away?

Old 23-11-2012, 10:56   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
was she dismasted? if so was the rig cut away?
No, if you read the OP you will see that all sails and rigging are intact.
Old 23-11-2012, 16:30   #40
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post

So anybody between NZ and Oz seen a boat? If I were them I would be checking with the merchant marine. I see a lot more of them when I am offshore.
The word Forum comes from the latin word..........Forum . A place or gathering for the purpose of discussion.

A Lost Advert works differently .

If anyone (including OP) wants to guide the discussion towards anything specific all they have to do is put in the effort themselves .
Old 23-11-2012, 17:06   #41
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Here is video of the boat after it was abandoned.

To see it you need to click on the arrow next to the words Yacht Survivors in the top left (it must be a New Zealand thing)

The engine is still running.
The hatch that's blown can be seen stuffed with a towel, it's the aft head/shower so water goes into the shower sump to be pumped out by the shower sump pump(!)

Note at the end of the vision of the boat, look at the stern, there is a little back slap? That shows me that there isn't much water inside the hull.

So if that boat has done a 360 it's in very good condition.

I can imagine it was thrown down by a wave, or knocked down, but I doubt it did a 360.

Also look at the way the boat is rolling in the swell, now look at the wheel. The wheel is moving in time with how it would move in a swell if the rudder was still attached. So perhaps any damage to the rudder is fixable, or use the emergency tiller or the auto pilot.

The cockpit hatch was left open when the boat was abandoned. That would probably fill the boat after a long time.

Finally, remember the boat went through a cyclone.... Thats a hurricane in those parts. It's probably done pretty well... It's still cyclone season there so if you want to go find this boat don't ask me to crew...

Pair Rescued From Stranded Yacht Near Tonga | Stuff.co.nz
To see video click in top left where it says Yacht Survivors.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 23-11-2012, 17:11   #42

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Hello Mark, thank you for the update, and it's wonderful to see you on again.
Old 23-11-2012, 17:26   #43

Boat: PETERSON 44
I did not get the vid part. Guess they had enough and got off lucky. Good to hear from mark opinion and attitude and all.
Now what is mark up to?
Old 23-11-2012, 17:45   #44

Boat: Cal 29

Hey Mark, good to have your research skills AND ANALYSIS back. I was starting to be a little ashamed of my skepticism. After watching the vid with the survivors standing there, my guess is these folks gave up on the boat and wanted the hell off. I hope I wouldn't take that same course but who can say? tgzzzz/Blue Crab
Old 23-11-2012, 18:01   #45
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Hey, Blue Cray, Sabray and Astrid,

Hope you are all well.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Closed Thread

Tags
rescue

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: