Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2013, 13:16   #271
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
If a man leaves to climb a mountain without a jacket or rope, by your logic, only another climber could truly know if he was unprepared.
This is a good analogy. But let's be more precise.

"If a man leaves WITH jacket and rope and still comes to harm, only another climber could truly know if he was unprepared"

So the only undefined part of this analogy is whether those who condemn are climbers, as my point in my previous post.

So easy on the end of a keyboard to find fault.

So easy when one hasn't been there to make black and white righteous pronouncement.

Funny how reality rarely matches with the righteous positions found on many Internet forums. Must be that those on forums are so much better than the general population. Funny, wish I could live in a nation populated only by people who post comments on forums.

Lets look back at the names attached to the most condemning posts and consider their depth of bluewater experience. With a couple of exceptions it is clear that most of those who understand this poor couples experiences, and granted bad judgement, are not the ones rushing to put their name on the wall in judgement.

Thanks Gato, your post only illustrates my point.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 16-03-2013, 13:21   #272
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Merged- Windigo Abandoned. Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Am I the first poster reading this thread who has vomited in their mouth at the self righteous, arm chair total ******** that has infected this thread?

Could be. Perhaps the only one as well. Knicker knotting at it's best I would say.

Coops.
Old 16-03-2013, 13:24   #273
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post

Could be. Perhaps the only one as well. Knicker knotting at it's best I would say.

Coops.
Ah well, if I am going to come back from a break might as well stir the pot a little.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 16-03-2013, 13:37   #274
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i'm with foolishsailor,"let those without sin cast the first stone!" or in this case those without FEAR!

perhaps requiring a licence to posess a gps would thin the heard of wannabe ocean navigators a bit,insurance is great after the fact,but no use when it comes to actual seamanship,as is a gps in the hands of an inexperinced navigator
Old 16-03-2013, 13:51   #275

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

How about a bit of compassion for a cruising couple that has lost their yacht.
A cruising yacht is your house, home, and transport. Uninsured, or not, it is not abandoned lightly.
Old 16-03-2013, 14:13   #276

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
How about a bit of compassion for a cruising couple that has lost their yacht.
A Crusing yacht is your house, home, and transport, uninsured, or not, it is not abandoned lightly.
I think this is the crux of it. People have widely differing ideas of what they might have to endure at sea. And, as has been said, people have widely different tolerance levels.
Wrapping up all your eggs in one basket tends to lessen the sympathy somewhat.

If you perseave your arse is on the line, eggs don't matter. Doesn't matter whether it really is or not.
What is being speculated here, is their state of mind.
I don't think that is wrong if it helps someone else.
Old 16-03-2013, 15:15   #277

Boat: Mac 26X
I think everyone has sympathy for them...I know I do and have said so. That said, this is a discussion forum, and we've discussed their choices and the results. Only a child could "throw up in my mouth" over this very measured and fair discourse.

I'm mostly concerned with the idea that they would express such surprise about their stuff being gone and that the Australian govt would expect them to pay for the removal of the hull.

Many people have no insurance, and I'm not going to question that decision. That's simply not a reason to shirk responsibility. I only carry liability...if I loose my boat it's my problem. If I cause damage, it's my insurance companie's problem...'cause I can't afford to pay for your boat or an environmental cleanup. But I can afford $600 per year for insurance.
Old 16-03-2013, 15:41   #278
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Merged- Windigo Abandoned. Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FONT=Comic Sans MS
shorebird[/FONT];1186433]Brave new world? Correct me if I'm wrong, but insurance is currently available as an option for Water boats">blue water boats, and I understand insurance companies already consider the condition of the vessel and qualifications of the skipper. No need to re-invent the wheel here, just consider the benefits of requiring insurance, rather than repeatedly rescuing poorly qualified sailors, or having taxpayers funding salvage and cleanup costs. as stated, I'm aware of the possible pitfalls in doing so, and loathe intruding into one of the few places left on earth where freedom and independence are hallmarks of the lifestyle, but it may be that insurance requirments will be legislated anyway.
Cheers,
David
So what your saying is...
We'll end up paying for stuff like this anyway... maybe twice if your a tax payer..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-03-2013, 16:10   #279

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

interesting thread - if only for the sorting of armchair from actual sailors. Nice to see a few of the latter checking in at last...the rest of yez - you know who you are and what your opinions are worth.
Old 16-03-2013, 16:21   #280

This thread was started to try and find Windigo....SO HAS IT BEEN SAVED...DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY KNOW. I was going to question why Tania and Shane havn't offered an explanation as to why did what they did and abandoned the yacht but after reading the armchair opinions I'm not surprised. I havn't read pages 9 to 17 so if I'm to be corrected, go for it. I started a thread to find my grandfathers hand built yacht, maybe the armchairies want to suggest why I can't! Lets stop commenting unless you have REAL information on Windigo.
Old 16-03-2013, 16:38   #281

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by djaustralia View Post
This thread was started to try and find Windigo....SO HAS IT BEEN SAVED...DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY KNOW. I was going to question why Tania and Shane havn't offered an explanation as to why did what they did and abandoned the yacht but after reading the armchair opinions I'm not surprised. I havn't read pages 9 to 17 so if I'm to be corrected, go for it. I started a thread to find my grandfathers hand built yacht, maybe the armchairies want to suggest why I can't! Lets stop commenting unless you have REAL information on Windigo.
What's the details on your grandfathers boat? Are you in your boat or couch sailing with the Mass? Did you contribute to the thread windigo?
Or
your comment had no information on windigo.
Last pic I saw she was a loss they jumped ship cause they had enough. See posts that describe boat takes more then crew. Just a guess it will happen again.
Old 16-03-2013, 18:14   #282
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

This thread has become spiteful and petulant.
Perhaps it is because the boat owners or their supporters asked for help and many felt it was undeserved.
Nonetheless, we all need help once in a while and karma amongst sailing brethren has unlimited horizons.
Old 16-03-2013, 18:20   #283
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Ah well, if I am going to come back from a break might as well stir the pot a little.
If you are going to do something, you might as well do it right.

Coops.
Old 16-03-2013, 19:24   #284

Boat: Mac 26X
This stuff about "armchair" this or that is such nonsense. Sure, if you're asking about which route to take or how to deal with storms or what anchor is best....then you can whine about who has experience in this or that. This thread has evolved into 2 topics, why they abandoned it and if they should be held responsible for removing it. The later is of concern to all people. Granted, I'm not in Australia, but the oceans and beaches there matter to me too. And if it causes issues for future cruisers, that matters also.
Old 16-03-2013, 21:24   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
What's the details on your grandfathers boat? Are you in your boat or couch sailing with the Mass? Did you contribute to the thread windigo?
Or
your comment had no information on windigo.
Last pic I saw she was a loss they jumped ship cause they had enough. See posts that describe boat takes more then crew. Just a guess it will happen again.
I have started a thread called "searching for ORION 3. All details are listed regarding my opa's yacht. um...your comment had no useful info on windigo either. I confess I'm not a mariner even though I can sail. I don't own a boat other than the models that I build based on my opa's yacht. This thread interested me so I started to read. It's just a shame we couch sitters get sidetracked and talk bollocks. I apologise for leaving comments if this is considered innapropriate. I guess Windigo is "Windigone"
Closed Thread

Tags
rescue