Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 16:32   #196

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
Re: Merged- Windigo Abandoned. Please Help

Sure hope Windigo gave at least 72 hours notice prior to her arrival in Australian waters and sports acceptible anti-fouling paint.

armido
Old 08-03-2013, 17:42   #197

I'm not familiar with the area but, was wondering since it's summer there did no one else see this boat before the Police found it? I mean there should have be a lot of boats out on the waters during this time of year. Perhaps it was ransacked before the Police found it on the beach.
Old 08-03-2013, 22:38   #198

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Capt. Mike,

Generally speaking the cyclone season in that area doesn't officially end until April, 30 2012 While cyclones rarely affect the NSW coastline, they at least peripherally affect the Queensland coastline as far south as Bundenberg. Given the fact the most active cruising areas are along the Queensland coast, in particular from about Stradbroke Island/Brisbane northward, there probably wouldn't have been much recreational boating activity when Windigo hit the rocks or reef. Fishing activity is another matter. I may be wrong, but the NSW coastline doesn't see nearly as much recreational boating activity - except perhaps commercial fishing and fishing charters - compared to Queensland. There are of course sail boats transiting this coastline on the way north - but not much before March/April. Before then weather in Australia is pretty unsettled with frequent squalls, water spouts and thunderstorms. During this period when anchored in the Brisbane River, I frequently hunkered down on a serious anchor watch when the squalls barrelled down the river from the wnw.

armido
Old 13-03-2013, 20:39   #199

Boat: Top Hat 25, modified junk rig

I live 160km Sth of Bongil Beach NSW, it couldn't of washed up on a more remote part of the NSW coast, very few recreational sailors in those waters at the moment, in any case it would have been good eyesight that spotted it from the water, through the surf, plus yachts would be a respectable distance offshore because of out-lying Islands in the area. There may be a higher number of fisherman in aluminium tinnies closer into shore that could have spotted it.
Access I think would only be from the Sth & via 4WD(through National Park?), even so not many (if any) would drive along that beach in any given week.
Im thinking it was looted after the police video was taken as im sure the little outboard & the winches would be one of the first things to go.
Wish I had offered to go there myself, not sure what help I could have been & for how long, but I didnt.
'Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though chequered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live their lives in the grey twilight that knows not victory or defeat' Theodore Roosevelt
Old 14-03-2013, 03:23   #200

Thanks Armido and Top Hat for the local knowledge of the area.
Old 14-03-2013, 08:11   #201

Boat: Bespoke fishing MV 34'

Our local section of the BBC website has picked up on this - the couple concerned being Welsh - and the link shows a photo of Windigo as she now sits.

BBC News - Rescued Stephen Jones' yacht found looted near Brisbane
Old 14-03-2013, 08:43   #202
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Wee wee wee
Old 14-03-2013, 09:06   #203

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
What is the basis of the assumption that it was ransacked? Was the mast stolen as well or swept away by the weather, along with outboard etc?

Old 14-03-2013, 09:57   #204

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Ransacked? I don't think so. It was salvaged at the shoreline.

I feel for the couple, but I think after you've abandoned the boat at sea, it's "finders keepers" after it drifts hundreds of NM.

Besides, there is probably very little evidence that it wasn't stripped at sea. This case has received a lot of attention and if I found it adrift on calm waters off Australia, I don't know if I'd salvage it, but I'm pretty sure that my legal options would include my right to do so.

It's like someone saying "I drove my car off the road into a ravine and was winched up the hill. A month later, someone had clearly emptied the glove compartment!"

This is why, by the way, if you can't stay with the boat and cannot arrange a tow, I advocate cutting the hoses. Ultimately, as is seen here, you are being more responsible. I can certainly see where panic or pain could prevent this, but it's not a perfect world at sea, is it?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 14-03-2013, 10:01   #205

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
The BBC article a few posts back refers to looting and ransacking.

Old 14-03-2013, 10:29   #206
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I can see plenty of good stuff left in those pictures!
Old 14-03-2013, 11:00   #207

Boat: CS 27

$50,000 to dispose of it seams like a lot. How would they do it? Would they be allowed to tow it off the beach and let it sink?
Old 14-03-2013, 11:45   #208
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgo View Post
Would they be allowed to tow it off the beach and let it sink?
Nope. The NSW coast is pretty well all marine park. Anyone that wants to sink a boat, say for scuba diving, takes years to get the permits.

The boat wasnt insured either so the owners are in an interesting situation.

And, btw, the location makes $50,000 sound cheap! No road access, no sea access... How do you remove it? Sky-hook?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 14-03-2013, 12:05   #209
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Probably a barge crane, onto a barge, off to be stripped and cleaned of toxins, fuels, bottom paint, then disposed of in an approved place and manner. I could see fifty grand easily that way.

Skyhooks DO work, actually. There are some heavy-lift helicopters but considering the prices, and the limits on range and lift, unlikely to save much unless someone is based nearby.
Old 14-03-2013, 14:45   #210

Boat: Mac 26X
Yeah $50K sounds cheap to me. Does that include fines? Surely there's a law against letting your boat wash up onto a public beach after abandoning it.
Closed Thread

Tags
rescue