Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 01:10   #136
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: Merged- Windigo Abandoned. Please Help

Why should we care what happened to your yacht? You obviously didn't, but by dint of your irresponsible actions you indirectly increased bureaucracy and insurance premiums for those of us who are responsible and don't get off by posing in cast off NZ navy clothing. I cannot believe you had the audacity to post on here or anywhere else.
Old 28-02-2013, 03:50   #137

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Well, that's one point of view.

I can't be arsed to re-read this, but I retain a vague impression that the couple in question abandoned ship before I (think) I would have...but then I wasn't there, and can't judge. There may be more to the story than I know or willl ever know.

What I do know is that if my boat grounded in a nature reserve, I would try to salvage it before it leaked the 19 types of environment horror I keep aboard into the surf line. One abandons a boat under duress, but one cannot abandon responsibility for that boat. This is precisely why I advocate cutting the hoses when you step off, as a boat's fuel and other goo going into a benthic trench on a hull in one big piece is arguably better and less damaging than a boat coming apart over a series of weeks on an isolated beach.

That said, the line between using the Internet to solicit sailorly aid and using the Internet to advertise one's poor seamanship and general douchebaggery (see "give me a free boat just because!" threads) is getting on the gossamer side of thin. I suspect that's what's prompting the above post.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 28-02-2013, 05:14   #138

I think the good news and lesson learned here is that even a production boat can survive over three months without sinking and that abandonment should not be the first plan of action necessarily. One should try and remember there is the calm after a storm too when things may not seem so bad.
Old 28-02-2013, 05:42   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, AndyB5.

Old 28-02-2013, 06:07   #140
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Yay!

A Beneteau 393 survived all alone, hatches open, from Tonga to NSW, Australia! And in only a few months! A speedster even without sails up!

I wonder if she only lost her mast and keel whilst hitting the Sawtel beach?

I LOVE my boat and treated well she will keep me safe

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 28-02-2013, 06:40   #141

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yay!

A Beneteau 393 survived all alone, hatches open, from Tonga to NSW, Australia! And in only a few months! A speedster even without sails up!

I wonder if she only lost her mast and keel whilst hitting the Sawtel beach?

I LOVE my boat and treated well she will keep me safe

Thats a good feeling to know your boat wont sink, with out holes in the bottom of it,
Old 28-02-2013, 07:30   #142
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

As well as the initial storm, the boat survived Cyclones Freda, Oswald and a Tropical Low.

Not too bad

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 28-02-2013, 11:40   #143

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Thanks for the upate AndyB5.
I was a day or so ahead of this boat when it all went pear shaped, so i'm particularly interested in the case...
I would love to see some photos of what she looks like now.
I would also love to have a long conversation with the vessel and hear of all her adventures since being abandoned. Boy, the stories she would tell!!

For one, I would dearly love to know how and when she lost her keel...

I have oft entertained the notion that 'boats just dont sink' - or more accurately, boats are generally a whole lot more sea worthy than you think. I think there's a lot to be said for strapping yourself in tight.
Old 28-02-2013, 11:54   #144

Boat: 1977 shannon 38 cutter

I always say the boat knows what to do its the people on board that need watching.
Old 28-02-2013, 12:04   #145

Boat: 45ft Ketch

From what I've read, abandoning a yacht is frequently all about the condition of the people, not the condition of the yacht. Some people just don't want to be found dead in their wonderful seaworthy boat despite the encouragement of others.

Sailors in delicate health condition should not be banned from sailing, just have to be better interpreters of weather conditions.
Old 28-02-2013, 12:21   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
From what I've read, abandoning a yacht is frequently all about the condition of the people, not the condition of the yacht. Some people just don't want to be found dead in their wonderful seaworthy boat despite the encouragement of others.

Sailors in delicate health condition should not be banned from sailing, just have to be better interpreters of weather conditions.
After 145 posts in this thread, that is the most constructive and insightful thing that anyone has said!
Old 28-02-2013, 15:25   #147

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Merged- Windigo Abandoned. Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post

While some apparently find this insightful, I don't quite see it nor does it make any sense. Wanna sail around the world, accept the risks.

i
Old 28-02-2013, 15:30   #148

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It is true that a high-percentage of abandoned cruising sailboats keep floating and turn up later. During the Queen's Birthday Storm quite a few boats were abandoned as people were rescued, and most of them were either salvaged later or washed ashore somewhere--not all, but most. The Westsail 32 that the crew was taken off of in the Perfect Storm washed up on the beach--some friends of mine spotted it and called the CG, and it was salvaged.
Old 28-02-2013, 16:21   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
It is true that a high-percentage of abandoned cruising sailboats keep floating and turn up later. During the Queen's Birthday Storm quite a few boats were abandoned as people were rescued, and most of them were either salvaged later or washed ashore somewhere--not all, but most. The Westsail 32 that the crew was taken off of in the Perfect Storm washed up on the beach--some friends of mine spotted it and called the CG, and it was salvaged.

speaking of boats being found do you remember a guy called nenad belic who tried to row from the states to europe in a boat called lun well in 2001 mates of mine found here floating about quater miles of the coast of west clare with alot of his personal things still inside but he was never found as far as i know
Old 28-02-2013, 16:23   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
While some apparently find this insightful, I don't quite see it nor does it make any sense. Wanna sail around the world, accept the risks.
Does it really need explaining?
A boat is abandoned, and most of us will harp on about how the boat could have survived just fine. The discussion revolves around the boat and the sea worthiness of the vessel. What we often neglect to consider is that in dire situations, the skipper and crew are making decisions based primarily on an assessment of their ability to survive - the vessel not the primary concern.
If a skipper considers lives to be in peril, surely the responsible thing is to call for help - as opposed to callously declaring 'you knew the risks when you came on board son'.
Closed Thread

Tags
rescue