Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 12:45   #1

Boat: Mayflower 48
Send a message via Skype™ to overtheyardarm
Mayflower Stadel or Mariner 48 Owners

If anyone has , or has owned a Mayflower 48 or Mariner 48 , I would appreciate your review and input.
They appear simillar in hull design with different interiors.
History on these is quite varied.
Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
overtheyardarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 06:28   #2

Mayflower 48'

Hi
I'm the owner of a 48' Mayflower 1980 model named Felicity, designer George Stadell III, which I purchased in 2003 in Ruskin, Tampa from a Canadian couple given up blue water cruising and moved home. I sailed her cross the Atlantic and up to my home town in Norway, Stavanger. I'm still working with refurbishment. Due to the europeean EU regulations I've even gone trough a heavy process for CE approval of the vessel both with respect to documentaion and practical tests, finally classified and certified type "A", all seas. I experienced her to be a great relayable ocean sailer.
If you want to have more information, please feel free to contact me.
oveaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 14:33   #3

Boat: mayflower,ketch 48 Ft. Parlee
I have had a Mayflower for 2 years now...Great boat! Very seaworthy. I will be in the Baha ha ha this oct. looking forward to it. I haven't heard any real negatives about the boat!
Parlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 19:17   #4

Boat: mayflower 48
Hi, I am the original owner of Hull number 10, "Jamtlander". My name is Richard Johnson.

After reading some mis-information on the web about the Mayflower 48 as you have... we decided to set the record straight and list the names of each of the original owners of the Mayflower 48s. We obtained the list from George Lim, the yard manager at May Flower Yachts in 1984. Unfortunately, the list is very old and needs to be up dated. So, If you have any information that could help us update the list... it would be most appreciated.

Mayflower 48 history. Original Owners list of all Mayflower 48. Stadel 48 by Mayflower Yachts for Sale in Honolulu.

George Stadel supervised the building of all of the hulls. So, when a builder builder puts his name on it... you know it will be right. Almost 50 percent of the hulls were purchase by the original owners. Some when to the yard to supervise and make minor changes in the yachts. Most of the rigging was all done in the U.S.

Please let me know if you have any questions. aloha, richard
808 946 1000
jamtlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 19:39   #5

Hi, here are a few suggestions.
If the bow roller has not been modified... you should do that. George Stadel was a stickler for making the Mayflowers light on the ends. This made the yachts as quick as a cat. Try disconnecting the hydrolic steering and use the tiller and you will experience a thrill of a lifetime. So, beef up the bow roller. As you may have discovered a chain will slip off the roller in a bumpy anchorage.

Beef up the deck where the windlass is attached. I add a one in piece of mahogny under the foward deck and attached an electric Nielson windlass.

Beef up the rudder post. I add a 3/4 inch bulkhead and a gudgen furthur up the rudder post.

Make sure the fuel lines can take a five minute burn. The hoses usually are red if they are fire retardent.

Get rid of the fuel pump and add an electric. They are more reliable and they will make starting easier if you run out of fuel. It is an easy modification.

Put in a beefy fuel polisher.

Beef up the cabin sole if the yacht has had heavy use.

Use dyform wire if you are going to re rig. This means you can use smaller Norseman fittings.

Check the caulking under the cap rail. If you have leaks going into big seas... that's your problem. Some owners never figured out that one because the boats never leak going down wind.

Please let me know what your hull number is.

You can find a list of the orginal owners at:
Mayflower 48 history. Original Owners list of all Mayflower 48. Stadel 48 by Mayflower Yachts for Sale in Honolulu.

Good luck with your new boat. You should know that there are a Mayflowers in England, Isreal and Italy.

Aloha from Hawaii.
richard johson
mail@hawaiiguide.com
Old 21-01-2010, 17:26   #6

Hi,

I'm close to making an offer on an '81 mariner 48, but the tanks look to be shot - rust coming off them in flakes. I've talked to folks with other boats that have cut out and replaced tanks and I know it can be ugly. Any ideas on how common this is on the Mariner 48s and just how tough and expensive it is?

Thanks,

Mike
mbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 19:09   #7

mayflower 48 fuel tanks

Mike, we never heard of a Mayflower 48 having a fuel tank problem.

They are cast iron.

Ours are forward of the engine bulkhead. As you open the cabin sole hatch you will seen them on the port and starboard sides. They have very large inspection plates. So, you can remove the plate and see the inside of the tank and use he large hole for cleaning. The tanks are supported above the bilge for protection. We painted ours gun metal gray years ago and the paint still looks good. They have never been stainless steel. One thing to look for is the bonding wires on the tanks. In fact, it would be a good idea to disconnect the bonding cable on the port side of the engine. Then turn on all of the lights and electronics to check to see if any of them stopped working. If so, this would mean that someone used the bonding system as a ground. If this happened to the tanks ... it could explain the rusting or corrosion.

Another cause could be water in the fuel rusting the tanks. Mayfower 48's have transfer valves. So, its a good idea to move the fuel between tanks to keep the fuel clean. Assuming the yacht has a very good fuel polishing system installed.

You didn't say if the bottom of the tanks were flaking or the tanks were leaking.

There are two 75 gallon fuel tanks on the Mayflower 48. There are also two 100 gallon water tanks. We converted one of ss water tanks to a fuel tank. We will take a few pictures and add them to our website at ahawaii.com/jamtlander

An earlier post claiming that single spreaders on the main was a weakness on the Mayflower 48. We have no idea where that came from except...
We can tell you we had a knockdown going into Roratonga in 25 foot seas and were hit by a rouge wave of unknown heights. We have single spreaders. The Mayflower took the knockdown and every thing came up in one piece.

Also, the earlier post claimed that Mayflower Yacht were owned by a British Company. Not true. Only three Mayflower's were sold to a UK company. The first batch were sold to Mariner Marine in Long Beach.

Mariner Marine of Long Beach California named the yachts "Mariner 48".
The were Hulls 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 14, 15, 16, and 17.

The rest were sold to small dealers in UK, Italy, and the Bay Area. The rest were sold mainly to individuals after the word got out that the Yachts were of very good quality and performance.

Hope that helps.

aloha, richard

P. S. the name of the yard that built the Mayflower 48's was:
May Flower... not Mayflower.
Old 22-01-2010, 00:46   #8

Fuel Tanks Replacement

I've just replaced the fuel tanks in my 1980 Mayflower model. This required removal of the flooring of the hole SB side area and some of the Port side are, enabling you to remove the port tank first and then slide down the SB. Installing is reversed. To get the tanks out of the boat I had to remove the cockpit hatch and make a triangle shaped cutout in front to extend the existing opening to make passage.
I replaced with stainless steel tanks of the same size.
Yes it is a lot of work and I believe costly if you have to get it done by a workshop. I would estimate 2 skilled people would use a week to do the job. And then its the cost of the new tanks that has to be custom prefabricated, only for the material of quality SS316 I paid 1400 US$. I had access to a workshop that fabricated the tanks for free, but i belive it would have costed 2000US$ per tank + material cost to get it fabricated from a commercial workshop (Norwegian price level).
I guess in US you might get i cheaper and you could also use carbon steel which is quite cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell View Post
Hi,

I'm close to making an offer on an '81 mariner 48, but the tanks look to be shot - rust coming off them in flakes. I've talked to folks with other boats that have cut out and replaced tanks and I know it can be ugly. Any ideas on how common this is on the Mariner 48s and just how tough and expensive it is?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 25-01-2010, 11:37   #9

Thanks for the information. The tanks have rust coming off in flakes from the side facing inboard and the bottom. What paint is left is visibly lifting with rust underneath. While there is no sign of leakage the rust doesn't inspire confidence. If our offer is accepted I'll plan on pressure testing the tanks and then rigging a bladder as a backup. I would like to get the boat to San Francisco from Long Beach before taking this on. I actually can do mig stainless welding although I'm no pro. I welded up a radar pole and assorted fittings for my last boat. Any idea how tough this would be for a motivated amateur? Any reason SS304 wouldn't do the trick? What thickness did you go with? I'd almost be more concerned about any bending of the metal than I would welding the sheets. I'm guessing the tanks follow the curve of the hull to some degree?

Regards, Mike
mbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 19:15   #10

Hi Mike,
If you intend to make new tanks I can provide you with the drawings I made as a accurate copy of the existing ones. I used 3mm SS 316 sheets, and you also need to have at least 2 internal seperation walls to stabilise the fuel movements when in sea. I would recommend TIG, not MIG method for welding. And off course pressure testing to requirements. (I believe also USCG requires sign on tks's and doc. proofing tk's pressure tested). With respect to the choice of SS316 this is most resistant and will keep a shining surface as it contains molybden. But you could use lower grades, this will however normally obtain a rusty surface colour after a while in salty conditions.
Ove
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell View Post
Thanks for the information. The tanks have rust coming off in flakes from the side facing inboard and the bottom. What paint is left is visibly lifting with rust underneath. While there is no sign of leakage the rust doesn't inspire confidence. If our offer is accepted I'll plan on pressure testing the tanks and then rigging a bladder as a backup. I would like to get the boat to San Francisco from Long Beach before taking this on. I actually can do mig stainless welding although I'm no pro. I welded up a radar pole and assorted fittings for my last boat. Any idea how tough this would be for a motivated amateur? Any reason SS304 wouldn't do the trick? What thickness did you go with? I'd almost be more concerned about any bending of the metal than I would welding the sheets. I'm guessing the tanks follow the curve of the hull to some degree?

Regards, Mike
Old 04-04-2010, 03:27   #11

Boat: mayflower
Send a message via Skype™ to kiesari
mayflower 48 for sail

year 1981/2008
for more detail
00 972 54 2222020
kiesari@yahoo.com
kiesari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 22:19   #12

Boat: Mayflower 48
Send a message via Skype™ to overtheyardarm
Do the Mayflowers have a HIN # , if so where is it located. Unable to locate one on the boat I am finalyzing the purchase on.

Thanks
overtheyardarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:23   #13

Hi,
The HIN and build number is on normally engraved or moulded in by epoxy resin on the inside hull just under the floor of the front cabin, SB side.
In addition, USC rules says that the HIN number should be engraved or signed on the aft upper corners of the hull. You should also by contatcting US Coast Guard obtain the HIN number from them (if the boat has been registered in US).
Ove

Ove
Old 20-04-2010, 08:49   #14

Oveaar,

thanks for the offer of providing plans for new tanks, please let me know if can email them or send them by regular mail.
Thanks
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 08:51   #15

Did anybody replaced the mast step of the main mast and is willing to share his experience?
Thanks
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote