Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 15:58   #301
cruiser

i will be going to san diego this saturday to look at boats...If your available give me a call... maybe get somem lunch of dinner...

I went to san pedro today, and wat a $hit box i saw today.. damn it... i did see a couple others but nothin special...

hopefully the boats in SD are a bit better...

the guy at marine west said I should try lien sales, and sorry, that dont look good for me...
San diego, or florida after the Feb 22
Old 27-01-2011, 10:21   #302

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
pirate

Anyone have an update on the repairs?
Old 27-01-2011, 15:59   #303
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
berg --call me--i will be with mechanix in am, at 1000hrs.
jpey-- we look at this mayhem tomorrow to determine what exactly i need for it as far as parts goes and they need for the rest-- and make this a showcase for htem and us-- will write more tomorrow after i meet with these guys in my boat's exit tubing.....
Old 27-01-2011, 19:12   #304

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Buena Suerte manana, ma cheri! I wish you clarity in diagnosis and quality and value in the fixes. Cleaning up systems on a strong old boat, I find the craftsmanship and price are inverse to the distance from the marina. At least in fabrication of steel and aluminum bits for the boat deck, good shops that don't rely on boat business don't charge the big yottie premium. Whatever their delusions, they don't involve grandeur on your dime.

Have you got the chain plate replacement designed and lined up yet? hmmm? If you don't rush through Mexico, I'll be seeing you next winter, Kiddo. Jon
Old 27-01-2011, 19:20   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
Buena Suerte manana, ma cheri! I wish you clarity in diagnosis and quality and value in the fixes. Cleaning up systems on a strong old boat, I find the craftsmanship and price are inverse to the distance from the marina. At least in fabrication of steel and aluminum bits for the boat deck, good shops that don't rely on boat business don't charge the big yottie premium. Whatever their delusions, they don't involve grandeur on your dime.

Have you got the chain plate replacement designed and lined up yet? hmmm? If you don't rush through Mexico, I'll be seeing you next winter, Kiddo. Jon
oohh-- we be getting there in wind season but that is good for my boat. without main up i can make nicey nice with winds....the chain plate folks are different and after the sphincter part, which will find me at the yard -- this consult is to make sure we are efficient and cost effective . when this adventure is complete, i will be able to do the lil running around things in this bay i need to do prior to leaving and make sure the coupling is stable....
tomorrow we decide what style apparatus we willbe using on my boats sinkmesystem-- i wont let me be sold a dripless--i dont trust em....i think glassing the bronze tube in and going forward is prolly the best idea and least pricy. then i can use the old style kind. those seem to be fairly reliable......
Old 27-01-2011, 19:47   #306

pirate

good luck tomorrow ZEE.
Old 27-01-2011, 20:02   #307

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Zee, best of luck for tomorrow.
Old 27-01-2011, 21:44   #308

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Zee, I'm looking forward to hearing the news. Good luck.
Old 27-01-2011, 21:57   #309

we gonna find out how efficient we can get for this repair tomorrow when they look into the deep hole at the stern tube from hell... the options so far are:
glass the tube and replace with old style system
shim the tube and replace packing gland with old style system
cut the tube back and place a dripless packing system that blows out in mid ocean passage-- eeps.......
or mebbe they ahve an alternative idea with better prognosis.....
this is merely a consultation for the repair for efficiency when in slings ....
Old 27-01-2011, 22:08   #310
cruiser

are the dripless seals that risky? do they have a bad rep? if so, how they are still in business?

btw, i have no idea how these seals work as i havent seen one yet... i look forward to holding one in my hand so i can disect it and figure it out.

pump seals for aquariums arent that complicated. and are easily replacable, *(after isolating the water flow)
Old 27-01-2011, 22:14   #311

in formosa yachts, there is a beam/bulkhead supporting the stern tube--that is the bad part in part with this .. when the tube is cut shorter, the beam is removed , and there is more movement of shaft and tube and the particular dripless packing glands these folks i have seen using flexx toomuch and shed their hose clamps and rupture . blug blug blug.
for many other types of boat, these same systems are awesome. we used one in last boat i sailed in gulf--same one that was not good for these boats--was great-- so each kind of boat is different. these have 30 inches if a tube most boats have mebbe 14 inches. if that. lots of room for weirdness.
Old 28-01-2011, 12:49   #312

looks like it will be diver and cut tube and put dripless on and i watch it a lot. i was quoted 40 hours work and 8000 dollars. he was adding up the money .... i said this county is THE most expensive place in the world in which to own a boat-- he smiled and looked happy about that-- ggrrrrrr
not one time did the corporate dude consider thinking outside the box. soooooooooooo..... this is again prolonged dammit...... researching alternatives now....
Old 28-01-2011, 14:56   #313

pirate

Hey ZEE,I have been doing some research on your problem.It seems you probably need to just glass over the tube,until you can afford to do the complete haul-out.Here is an article that I found on Sailnet.This guy did his OUT of the water,and had a lot of problems.It is a similar design to yours. Drive Shaft, Cutless Bearing, and Stuffing Box | Dasein | Pearson Triton 668 | Sailing, Cruising, Restoring, Renovating
Old 28-01-2011, 15:22   #314

Here is another one with instructions and pics.,he has a 2 bolt flange verses yours is a 4 bolt flange.Propeller Shaft
Old 28-01-2011, 15:32   #315
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Berg... you wanna quick course in glassfibring and how to make your knuckles bleed without trying....ROFL..
Yeah... I know.. easy to shoot my mouth off from Portugal...
Yes it is....

I've seen a couple of pic's but I'm not familiar with boat or system so will stay quiet on the tech side... though it looks like basic hammer n chisel mechanics from here... with a good stick of fast cure epoxy just in case...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Closed Thread