Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:50   #406

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
My additions in red inside the quotes.

John it is my theory that the stuffing box on the forward side of the Main beam is a combination stuffing box bearing. I don't know enough about the mechanics of it to be sure. Having seen a 1 1/8" x 15" shaft make a big turn while motoring down the coast of California once I would think that the extra support would help. One other thought would be to make some sort of support (out of fiberglass) for the log that connected to the hull if the log is too long.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 02-02-2011, 17:35   #407
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
OK. HERE IS PLAN... we get this stuffed with goood plug and diver on stdby. we get into this mess and cut back the tube just beyond the nasty stuff
\ then we place the pss and make ready for water to again present itself where it belongs. and we make a support for the shaft so isnt gonna fail like the one mid pacific everyone htought sunk but in reality is a leaky teaky member and fixed his pss on the fly as it were,,replaced it in midocean...works for me. i know how to patch these. is good. simple. thankyou charlie and everyone for input--i think this will work for this boat. and thank the sea gods there is a fella coming on this trip brave enough to do this with me.....hooooyaaahhhh.. we will be out on time!!!!! and sans leakings... wow--- with much thanks to you all... we appreciate deeply this and will not hesitate to post something to make ye all wanna come sailing too--wow AND awesome!!!!

now another leaky teaky is in cairns getting slammed by weather---i hope they are ok..
Old 02-02-2011, 17:51   #408

Question how are you going to get the shaft seal past the main beam? I came up with another idea. Cut out a generous "U" shaped section and then replace cut out part with a SS plate. Whether or not there is a bearing on the main beam now the stuffing box is effectively acting like one so I wold be sure to put a bearing in place. Good luck

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 02-02-2011, 18:00   #409

the only thing i saw abaft the beam was the tube.......i believe the entire stuffing box is before the beam on the engine and coupling side..but we will be cutting the beam anyway and playing with it and modifying that support system...we will post pix for the procedure also-- will be being done in late mid feb.....
i eat drink sleep and dream this boat.. i will be glad when she functions perfectly and can stretch her legs....
Old 02-02-2011, 18:38   #410

Boat: Hunter 37.5 Legend
Charlie, your idea is exactly what is planned. A ss plate will be fabricated roughly 9" X 5" with a hole in the middle. A Timken flange bearing will be mounted on the plate. The bulkhead will be cut around the current flange bracket. The tube gets cut back to the point it is good, and the remainder wrapped in glass. At least thats the plan until we get in there and look closer.
Old 02-02-2011, 20:45   #411

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Sounds good, relatively easy and cost effective - problem solved.
Old 02-02-2011, 20:53   #412

OK-- now i can get the parts and begin that project. whew. thankyou folks-- i am jazzed..hoooyaahh!!!! lets go sailing!!!!
downunder--i hope is ok down where ye are--i have friends in a leaky teaky in cairns up a creek somewhere.....i hope everyone is ok.
Old 02-02-2011, 21:08   #413

Zee,

I am down south in Mackay - 800klm south of Cairns and Yasi was originally pointed at us before it verred North. We had a bit of wind and rain and were watching it's movement but breathing relatively easily for us here for last 2 days.

Got to feel badly for those affected. I know many of the tully sugar cane farmers and sugar mill guys as a farmer myself.

There will be a big flood now in The Herbert river at Ingham which flows into the Hinchenbrook channel.

Cairns eventually did OK as it was far enough north in the right quadrant of the cyclones tracK.
Old 02-02-2011, 21:21   #414

is wild weather been happening of late---everywhere is getting kicked with some nasty stuff. is sad and hard-- hard to prepare for this kind of devastation ,, even disaster preparedness doesnt prepare you for the emotional hit of the whole thing.
Old 02-02-2011, 21:28   #415

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Yasi was originally pointed at us before it verred North. We had a bit of wind and rain and were watching it's movement but breathing relatively easily for us here for last 2 days.

Cairns eventually did OK as it was far enough north in the right quadrant of the cyclones tracK.
Cyclones rotate clockwise down your way, correct? North of the equator and on the east coast US, the northeast quadrant is the nasty side; I'm thinking the southwest quadrant is your worst?

Good luck and Godspeed - 180+ mph is inconceivable.

John
Old 02-02-2011, 21:34   #416

we are in la Nina at present and sea water temps are above average this year giving ideal conditions for cyclone development. havn't happened like this for a couple of decades but is not abnormal or because of cimate change that some would like to suggest.

waiting for next one - is another low in pacific that could lite up within 2 weeks.

Yasi is not over yet - if it ends up in the warm Gulf waters could reform and come back over Gulf. Has happened before.
Old 02-02-2011, 21:35   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
Cyclones rotate clockwise down your way, correct? North of the equator and on the east coast US, the northeast quadrant is the nasty side; I'm thinking the southwest quadrant is your worst?

Good luck and Godspeed - 180+ mph is inconceivable.

John
correct southwest is the dangerous quadrant.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:01   #418
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Hurricane Quadrants
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurricane Quadrants.png
Views:	198
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	23460  

Old 03-02-2011, 08:58   #419
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Yeha! Gordo Thats a great diagram. Never came across a graphic. No thinking and visualizing when tired.
Old 03-02-2011, 15:11   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon4399 View Post
Charlie, your idea is exactly what is planned. A ss plate will be fabricated roughly 9" X 5" with a hole in the middle. A Timken flange bearing will be mounted on the plate. The bulkhead will be cut around the current flange bracket. The tube gets cut back to the point it is good, and the remainder wrapped in glass. At least thats the plan until we get in there and look closer.
Sounds good. I am worried about the ability of the shaft to move. I don't think you will have too much water that comes in but moving the shaft could be real easy or a PITA. The parts are going to be a lot lower now too.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Closed Thread