Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 15:03   #391

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Zee, I was lucky enough to be taught how to use fibreglass by the Royal Navy in a past job. One of the tasks was to repair a 2" pipe the instructors had drilled a hole in. The repair was simple enough, epoxy resin and fibreglass cloth tape wrapped continuously around the pipe slowly working your way down the tube. Instructors used to recon a good repair of 1/4" thickness would hold 2000 psi. Please note CSM doesn't work with epoxy resin, it has to be cloth.

I have the volvo dripless seal on April Lass which we fitted 3 years ago to replace the original stuffing box. Can't understand why everyone doesn't have one. They are cheap, £50 this side of the pond, available in metric and imperial sizes and reliable. Ours is on a 1" shaft and slides over a 17/8" tube. Slightly to big according to the volvo spec, but it fits and works anyway. Requires grease once a year and a burp to release any air pockets if you dry out and that's it. Fit and forget. Volvo suggest replacing at 5 years but lots seem to just go on and on.

Pete

Link to pic of volvo seal
Old 01-02-2011, 16:55   #392
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
coool so my idea is feasable and appropriate. i knew it.lol.. ty...i will do it that way-- and i will have what i need for further attention to it with us. i think we will be fine. nutz but fine. remember--i did say i am sailing a rough sailboat.....chainplates then mexico fish license then empty storage and put items into bins and stow and belay them and practice sailing on htis baY..LOL.....we can even use engine for short bits--in tight places..it should continue to heal self 4 days later..for the most part.
Old 01-02-2011, 18:32   #393
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
zeezee:

You could always sell your boat and get another Samosa ketch.

Here is one for sale down in Panama I saw today @ 15k:

Life, Liberté and the Pursuit of Happiness

Quote:
35-FT FORMOSA, 1975
Balboa, Panama $15,000

Furuno 1623 radar, 80W BP solar, Universal 5424 diesel, Achilles dink and Tohatsu OB, new alternator, lots cruising gear, anchors, rodes, sails, standing rigging new 2008, Waeco Coolmatic. Eager to sell, all offers considered.
Old 01-02-2011, 18:52   #394

i already hav eon eboT FOR SALE IN KALI--- NO ONE HAs decided to buy in 4 yrs-- i really dont believe this would sell, and as i am this far, there is no wayi am changing horses now--i am almost there. she CAN sail as she is... that is not a problem....is why there are manual and electric bilge pumps. this will leak no more than it will after the engine is run in gear for a minuet. the tube will be glassed and stable. the stuffing box doesnt work anyway and i am only using engine to get out of mooring. i can get patrick to get me in mazatlan, if i need to be gotten... i believe this boat will get herself into dock there. then she will go get fixed in yard ithe fishing fleet uses, away from yotties and turistas. hooyaahhh... will post pix of what you guys helped to get--as it willbe made perfect in this yard.
bes8ides, bird is better equipped than the one above
Old 01-02-2011, 18:56   #395
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\
Hoohay
//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\

Buy the other boat for parts!!!@!@!

@('_')@
Old 01-02-2011, 20:18   #396

Boat: Downeaster 38
Mayday?

zeehag;

In just a few weeks, your "Mayday" post has become one of the most viewed and commented posts on this site. And I see you have also had time today to surf CF.com and make nine other posts on such things as lightning, cyclones in Australia, cleaning teak, helping someone critique a boat, fitness during passage, etc.

Please share how in the midst of your crisis, you can keep all these balls in the air?
Old 01-02-2011, 20:45   #397

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
similar/easier than an ER ward I presume.
Old 01-02-2011, 21:33   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by North26West80 View Post
zeehag;

In just a few weeks, your "Mayday" post has become one of the most viewed and commented posts on this site. And I see you have also had time today to surf CF.com and make nine other posts on such things as lightning, cyclones in Australia, cleaning teak, helping someone critique a boat, fitness during passage, etc.

Please share how in the midst of your crisis, you can keep all these balls in the air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
similar/easier than an ER ward I presume.

i didnt realize i started this thread...

i also didnt realize one was supposed to check in and work during times of disability. i do what i am able to do -- and i donot make excuses for what i cannot do. i try to get the work done anyway despite my disabilities.

i also fiberglassed a bulkhead and went to the bank and bought pizza and went to the toilet a few times and i fed 5 jobless folks in my neighborhood.
\then i put up a bimini and measured out the length for wiring for the solar panels which will go there and i measured ledgers for shelves in cabinets, and i made a template for 3 shelves in my main saloon cabinets. would you like to hear more??or is that enough yet??
what did YOU do today??
i didnt realize i was being timed and followed -- isnt that a bit over the edge?? I MEAN, EVEN TWISTED PERVERTS ALLOW POTTY TIME WHEN THEY STALK YE....

smb--that would be a wonderful idea-- there is one in inland sd area for less tho-- but the parts i need arent included in the one in sd inland area.. still looking and i wish i knew what kind of system i need to get-- do i need pss, lasdrop, or what and how do they each connect to this tube?
i jnhpw how pss does-- but i dont kno0 wif i trust pss. there is a long way from the deadwood of the concrete at the stern exit and the 30 inches forward to the beam. with pss, that beam vanishes and nothing supports the shaft or tube. is more vibration., so more chance of failure...what about the lasdrop system???? it uses the beam .... and i have heard i can glass the tube and still use it??
but how does it work and ho0w does it install?
still researching..... need a support at the area the beam is in or near for the pss system?-- or figureout other alternative??
Old 01-02-2011, 21:36   #399

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
My additions in red inside the quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Okay I think I have figured out a way to do this in the water. Lets here waht you guys think of this plan.

Assumption 1: The Shaft log is in good shape somewhere aft of the main beam.

Assumption 2: There is enough play to slide the prop shaft back three or four inches

Step 1: Find the following parts: 1) a bearing to support the shaft at the main beam with some adjustment to it, 2) a traditional stuffing box and hose, and 3) a fabricated SS plate to cover enlarged hole on the main beam and to mount the bearing on.

Step 2: Drill holes thru the main beam so that you can get the stuffing box and hose thru the main beam from the forward side of the beam ( drill holes like the rotary dial on the old phones with the holes big enough to fit a sawzall blade. Use the sawzall to finish the cutting.

If you're talking about the existing stuffing box it is already on the forward side of the beam. Most likely remove the mounting screws, then unscrew the stuffing box off of the shaft log.
If you're talking about the new stuffing box, if the prop shaft slides far enough back then just fit the new stuffing box or dripless seal on the shortened shaft log aft of the beam.

Step 3: have a diver wrap the outside of the shaft with an ace bandage

Step 4: Use a pipe cutter or cable saw to cut the log in pieces short enough to be able to slide off the front end of the shaft.

Probably wouldn't hurt to still glass the rest of the shaft log.

Step 5: Slide the hose, then the stuffing box, then the SS plate, over the shaft and set them correctly.

Step 6: install Stuffing box then move shaft back in place. This should stop all leaking.

Step 7: Install SS plate then bearing. Make sure that alignment is perfect.

I don't believe there is a bearing at the main beam now, and I don't think one needs to be added after. The shaft is only 30" long, any reasonable diameter shaft wouldn't have needed a mid shaft pillow block bearing in the first place according to Skene's. If anything, depending on how far the shaft tube extends out into the boat unsupported is what I'd look at providing support for.

Step 8: Fill hole in Main beam with epoxy (I don't know what kind)

Step 9: Kick back with the alcoholic beverage of your choice.

Should work. Won't leave you in any worse shape then you are now
Old 01-02-2011, 22:04   #400

charlie and cal40john-- ty-- is a good plan--ty
Old 02-02-2011, 04:46   #401
cruiser

great blog

you might want to look up their mechanic

William Medina the mechanic

heheheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
zeezee:

You could always sell your boat and get another Samosa ketch.

Here is one for sale down in Panama I saw today @ 15k:

Life, Liberté and the Pursuit of Happiness
Old 02-02-2011, 04:51   #402
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i already hav eon eboT FOR SALE IN KALI--- NO ONE HAs decided to buy in 4 yrs-- i really dont believe this would sell, and as i am this far, there is no wayi am changing horses now....as it willbe made perfect in this yard.
bes8ides, bird is better equipped than the one above
btw, i noticed when we 'texted' the other day your messages were clear and spelling was spot on... I kinda thought about whether or not you could text or not, and was getting ready to call you but then your text was perfect... I am beginning to think you got this 'pirate speak'/typo thing down to an art... hehehehe

and yea, the power of positive thinking will hopefully come thru for ye', but if it were me, it would be just the opposite... as what can go wrong will go wrong... each and every time...

so, best of wishes with ye' and yer' bird. and I am sure you will WILL it to work for ye' and yer' crew...
Old 02-02-2011, 05:00   #403
cruiser

i dont think northwest and downunder were trying to be mean or disrespectful...

but I am guessing you think they were... but, it isnt an all or nthing type of deal.. I dont think they are followin' ye'. and ye' should be proud of all the work ye' do... ye' do it for ye'self, not for anyone to notice or not.. so dont worry, even if they or others try to knck ye' down...

which again, i dont think they are...

and for the record, anyone who feeds others when they themselves are on a tight food budget is definately up there in my book...

i know a lot of folks who maybe donate and or volunteer one day a year to feed homeless, but I dont know anyone who does it weekly or daily like you...

I just hope you never have to go a day without food for all the good karma you have built up and established..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i didnt realize i started this thread...

i also didnt realize one was supposed to check in and work during times of disability. i do what i am able to do -- and i donot make excuses for what i cannot do. i try to get the work done anyway despite my disabilities.

i also fiberglassed a bulkhead and went to the bank and bought pizza and went to the toilet a few times and i fed 5 jobless folks in my neighborhood.
\then i put up a bimini and measured out the length for wiring for the solar panels which will go there and i measured ledgers for shelves in cabinets, and i made a template for 3 shelves in my main saloon cabinets. would you like to hear more??or is that enough yet??
what did YOU do today??
i didnt realize i was being timed and followed -- isnt that a bit over the edge?? I MEAN, EVEN TWISTED PERVERTS ALLOW POTTY TIME WHEN THEY STALK YE....

smb--that would be a wonderful idea-- there is one in inland sd area for less tho-- but the parts i need arent included in the one in sd inland area.. still looking and i wish i knew what kind of system i need to get-- do i need pss, lasdrop, or what and how do they each connect to this tube?
i jnhpw how pss does-- but i dont kno0 wif i trust pss. there is a long way from the deadwood of the concrete at the stern exit and the 30 inches forward to the beam. with pss, that beam vanishes and nothing supports the shaft or tube. is more vibration., so more chance of failure...what about the lasdrop system???? it uses the beam .... and i have heard i can glass the tube and still use it??
but how does it work and ho0w does it install?
still researching..... need a support at the area the beam is in or near for the pss system?-- or figureout other alternative??
Old 02-02-2011, 07:40   #404
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by North26West80 View Post
zeehag;

LOL..... I reckon its coz she's female.... I've yet to figure out how they do it... but I wish I could... might get some work done on my boat...
By the time I've had my morning coffee most have done 3 things and got dressed...
Its very tiring...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:37   #405

Boat: Hunter 37.5 Legend
All things considered, I think Charlie's solution is correct and will work. The only issue is that the shaft is angled down, and the bulkhead is vertical. I came up with the same, but with an alum. plate. SS is probably better. Avoids dissimilar metals with the bolts securing it to the bulkhead. O bearing mounted on that plate that would work is the Timken Survivor Series corrosion resistant seems a good choice. Avail in polymer or nickel housings in 2 or 4 bolt flange models with 1 1/2" shaft.
Closed Thread