Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 30-01-2011, 11:02   #346
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
hi kids-- bird will be water tight-- we will either repair her in water here or sail to maz and my catchers mitt has the fishing fleet heavy hitter mechanic at the ready for him and my bird-
with glassing the tube, added strength to the structure, and with the wax att he flange, and a bilge watch--if i have truly 6 crew, i have a designated bilge watch/cook/radio soul. excellent backup and better than a bilge alarm. sailing newbs dont like wet bilges. i can tolerate to a point, then pump. there willbe at no time any threat to my home-the leakage is measurable in 2 hourly pumping when at anchor-- then the pump runs for 7 mins--isnt out of control and with the measures we are taking, this willeither be fixed prior to leaving or done there-- isnt a real need for yard haul for a good repair/replacement as this is replaced inside the boat at the dinette. the beam is for support, the packing gland flange attached to beam, and the shaft tube attaches to other side of beam. others have cut that beam at the good part and added that dripless packing-i figger to assess the need for the beam at the time of changeover-- i think is merely supportive.
the or part--we anchor the shaft to not turn and pure sail to mazatlan. we stay offshore a bit (40-60 mi)and then into maz. if we need the engine to get into tight places, is still able to be used-- just minimally. remember, guys--is my home--i aint gonna risk her--or bubba's home, ye know??!!

Old 30-01-2011, 11:12   #347
cruiser

yea, good luck on the bilge watch and alarm issues... again, this not ideal and or soemthing i would want to deal with, and hopefully will be prepared financially to deal with whatever 'corporate' issues you seem to have to avoid...

and 6 people, plus yourself is going to be a full boat... WOW.... im envisioning waterworld...

Old 30-01-2011, 11:23   #348

Cruisers Forum Supporter

the corporate run yards ar ea lot more pricey than smart workmanship and all is done to the benefit of the corporation without any consideration of the needs of the consumer. that is what i dislike about corporate mentality.
this mentality is not necessarily good for the consumer, as there is no supported alternative and the price remains otherworldly out of reach for those who donot have fortune 500 holdings and status.
i need to find someone who can cut a tube at a specified place while an important one is inside it, and not cut the shaft, then place a new packing gland on abaft the location of the old one. then i can use engine mor e than if we donot fix this until maz--i am working on htis solution. i prefer this solution.
as much fun as working on a boat in a yard in mazatlan sounds, i would rather be sailing. and playing.. so...... i am working on htis-- mebbe , for kicks and grins, i can do my paint in mazatlan...that way we can play in the yard also...
Old 30-01-2011, 13:33   #349

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Zee,

I know what you mean. I think the fear of being sued has made many people very careful and also the idea that for cutting one´s own toenails one needs to be a licensed beautician.
I had the surveyor round to my house on Saturday and all went well until he got to a particular part of the house and frowned. Of course, I saw the sale going to pot and asked him if anything was wrong . He said ,no just a very unusual construction idea he as a trained arquitect would not have thought possible, but that the 25 years that it has existed more than proved that the builder knew what he was doing. And that was a "studied" arquitect paying tribute to a builder´s design. That is why I think you will have more luck in Mexico , peopel think of what works first rather than what is recommended conventionally to avoid risk and yes that can go both ways - buyer beware.
Old 30-01-2011, 14:23   #350
cruiser

projects like this are going to be hard to estimate and be 'acurate and or low.

yards and shops like these make some money sometimes and sometimes they dont.. hopefully it balances out so they make a few bucks to keep thim interested in staying in business... Cant realy deny them this...

establishing trust with a mechanic is a big thing, but is counter intuitve to what i think is a cruisers life... you arent around long enough to establish a relationship, and i dont mean knowing each other.. I mean working with each other...

this project seems to need an 'artistic' touch, i.e. outside the box. so, that by itself will be hard to estimate... could be 4 hours or 40... hard to create...

part of it seems like maybe curing and drying time... you either pay for that time or you do it while the boat is wet and bale out or run the bilge watch and and all that...

there is no doubt that this 'industry' is making some money... as these stupid yanmar engines and other diesel engines are priced the same price of new LS generation motors that they place into corvettes...

but again, i am sure a local and established relationship will get the same thing for less...
Old 30-01-2011, 15:00   #351

Cruisers Forum Supporter

yeah -- i need to bring me own parts and i am not sure what those are at present--we may find just needing paint and use something i get there--i dont care as to brand as long as it works for a while and i can scrape off the stuffies easily. am seriously leaning towards the fiberglassing and lasdrop system-- some of the owners of these have done that and say is great.
i have to lay in a supply of thru hull fittings and other stuffies...
the touch needs to be artistic and gentle yet firm...
ilike the able to use underwater stuff that cures in short time and is able to do so underwater, as there is water in there normally. and stil is a small amount..i didnt lock all water out as it is needed to keep from holing tube..just isnt as much as usual..the outside of the tube is still dry, total length.no leaking...
i love yannies-- they are excellent engines--have one in ericson-- perfect thing-- i have perkins in my formosa-- solid and heavy for same. love em both...
as far as mechanix goes, ye either has one for a bf/hubby/so or ye learns it yerself as no one is looking out for ye-- speshully if yer a gurlee....LOL--gotta watch yer own booty or have no booty.....
Old 30-01-2011, 17:13   #352

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Gonna make for an interesting trip down!
Old 30-01-2011, 17:24   #353

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
Gonna make for an interesting trip down!

Let's give her a break. She's not going down. She's headed south.
Old 30-01-2011, 17:31   #354

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Not the down I meant! Better not be that glug glug down! I'm one of her hands!
Old 30-01-2011, 18:12   #355

Boat: Grand Soleil 52 in the Med also OE36 building project in Sweden
Hi Zee!
I sure has been of CF for a while working on my boat in Sardinia for 2 months.
Beeing on the hard on a small nice family yard.Must admit that your problem sure has caught my attention . It is a long thread and I´m not sure if I got it all but I have to give you my 2 cents worth of thoughts:

1) I belive you are absolutely right about going for the glassing the shortened tube approach ,but only if it is unpractical to replace what is there today. In Mexico the guys hopefully do not charge a fortune for a lift out or machining a bronze tube?

2)If the original set up is impossible then I do not belive there is a problem in fitting a new dripless fitting to the glassed in tube and existing axis.

3) The support to the axis given by the present stuffing box is perhaps not crucial but why not fit a bearing to the axis where the present stuffing box sits ( you can surely reuse that stuffingbox to work only as a support)

4) I would plan to have the prop and axel pulled to be able to replace or cut and glass properly ( in or out of the water)

5) I hope you have thought about emergency bilgepumping capacity , an extra 12V high capacity is a good thing as well as perhaps preparing the engine impeller pump to be able to work like a high capacity bilge pump by sucking the water in the inside isf. outside of the hull..

I do sure like your spirit , I am sure you will find a good solution.

There was a smart easy to use link to your Pay pal account, I must see if it works even for a Swede...

Take care
Kristian
Old 30-01-2011, 18:27   #356

Cruisers Forum Supporter

kristian-- = yup. there is no out of boat area of shaft tube--is all within hull-- the unreachable stuff is within concrete. is in a reasonably6 reachable space and not truly difficult to reach. is why i think this can and will work-- i think it will be an intwresting trip-- adventure and fun.. i think we wont have a problem with this-- has gone along this long without major change and i am gonna fix it before the major change occurs..we will see how a formosa yankee clipper sails in pacific.... it will be good.
i had a noshow for appointment for meeting---LOL --works for me. we are at 5, and possibly only 4 for crew-- so, is good.
Old 30-01-2011, 18:45   #357
cruiser

hey meburma, congrats... glad to see karen and you so anxious... sounds like a true adventure...

sorry i missed you yesterday...
Old 30-01-2011, 18:47   #358

Cruisers Forum Supporter

omg--we dont DO glugblugglug ... uhuh.. nope not an option.
Old 30-01-2011, 19:01   #359

Boat: Hunter 37.5 Legend
Just found what I think is a much better way of cutting the tube. Its a camping saw, a cable saw by Bestway Products. 24" long with ring handles at either end. Will cut bronze and other materials. PReally handy to have. I just bought one. I can bring it or send it.
Old 30-01-2011, 19:05   #360

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon4399 View Post
Just found what I think is a much better way of cutting the tube. Its a camping saw, a cable saw by Bestway Products. 24" long with ring handles at either end. Will cut bronze and other materials. PReally handy to have. I just bought one. I can bring it or send it.

now we are talking.. yes please bring--might want to bring 2 or 3. just in case. back ups. spares. hooooyaaahhhhhhh...now we are talking progress. i knew there was something already on market that would work..
AND GURLEE SKOUTS COOKIES ARE OUT AND I HAVE ALREADY EATEN A BOX OF THIN MINTS. quick--hide me from them...sooo gooooooood-- and they just jump down the throat... not fair......

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: