Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2010, 21:02   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Concur with Dave and Bash and really cannot disagree with Jim. If you're plan is just to sail around the world with or without stopping, deeper is better; better speed, pointing, lower heel angle. But if you want to spend some time in places then max draft will be dictated by where you want to go.

Since Jim is hanging in the Pacific he can get away with +7'. I've done the Bahamas with 6.5' but that limited where I could go and had to anchor far from the beach in some spots.

In Europe canal boats are built to fit the canals. The height and draft of the boats are determined by the depth and bridge clearances on the canals. To some degree you should make your boat decision in the same way. Like the mechanics say, pick the right tool for the job at hand.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 21:19   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Welcome to CF Stark….

To me this question is a little bit analogous to choosing a wife based on the size of her feet.

There are so many attributes both from physical and psychological perspectives to prioritize first…. as ergonomically…. the traits you fall in love with… always begin from within.

Just remember, in the grand scheme of things, it is not how long it is, but how you use it and in about 90% of all anchorages, tolerances are very forgiving.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 14:09   #18
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Oh... Gosh... I specifically asked that last broker to sell me a moderately sized boat.

Actually, I had this current boat designed around the refrigeration system, and then asked them to derive the specs for length, draft and displacement from those design parameters.

I'm going to have the next boat designed around a wood-burning fireplace.

What no hot tub! What good H boat doesn't have a hot tub now days?
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 14:16   #19

We draw ~ 9 foot. Maybe not the best for gunkholing but when you want to make tracks upwind it's tough to beat. We anchor out and use a large rib with a big engine to explore and swim.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 14:22   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
We draw ~ 9 foot. Maybe not the best for gunkholing but when you want to make tracks upwind it's tough to beat. We anchor out and use a large rib with a big engine to explore and swim.
G'Day Joli,

Yep, that's the ticket! But, just curious -- where are you cruising? 9 Ft would limit you a bit around the Qld coast where 7'2" is only an inconvenience at times.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Manly, Qld, Oz, trying to paint the decks in between showers.
Old 29-06-2010, 15:32   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
There are two totally different answers possible - one for catamarans and the other for mono-hulls. Cat's with dagger boards are probably the best compromise you can get for ability to point versus access to shallow anchorages like in the Bahamas, etc.
- - For Monohulls, unless you go the center-board route and all its problems, you are picking primarily for cruising areas. European and Caribbean and probably Far Eastern can handle the deep draught keels whereas Bahamas, eastern and southern North America, Central America and northern South America require "shoal draft" which is usually 6 ft (1.8m) or less. 5 ft (1.6m) or less grants almost total access to anywhere in those regions. For ocean stability hull shape is more of a determinant than draught all by itself.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 16:10   #22

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I think that its the wrong question. Draft, in and of itself, is only one factor in a myriad of other factors that make up a boat. To me, one buys the "best" boat that one can afford, without worrying about any particulr single aspect, and then makes the best of that boat's strengths and weaknesses. For the record: Our 40' boat draws about 7' 8" but that has not been an issue for us, thus far.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 16:28   #23
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Oh... Gosh... I specifically asked that last broker to sell me a moderately sized boat.

Actually, I had this current boat designed around the refrigeration system, and then asked them to derive the specs for length, draft and displacement from those design parameters.

I'm going to have the next boat designed around a wood-burning fireplace.
No bash. You couldn't handle a moderately sized boat. Not in your life time. You just don't have it in you. You'll specifically ask:

"PLEASE PLEASE I NEED A 50 FT BOAT WITH 9 FEET OF DRAFT OR I WILL DIE OH MY MY MY MY!!!"
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 16:28   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I think that its the wrong question. Draft, in and of itself, is only one factor in a myriad of other factors that make up a boat. To me, one buys the "best" boat that one can afford, without worrying about any particulr single aspect, and then makes the best of that boat's strengths and weaknesses. For the record: Our 40' boat draws about 7' 8" but that has not been an issue for us, thus far.
Exactly...Best answer so far
Old 29-06-2010, 17:36   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Exactly...Best answer so far
I don't think you're being fair to the OP. Paul was never saying he was going to choose a boat solely on draft, and never suggested that it wasn't just "one factor in a myriad of other factors". Just because there are many factors, that doesn't make it wrong to consider each one when making a choice.

Specifically Paul's question as he posed it was "At what point does having a deep draft really start to restrict where you can go?" and he gave an idea of where he would like to go, so it seems an eminently appropriate question to ask...
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 20:03   #26
cruiser

OK, paradix. Lets be fair and I'll calm down.

What is given is a "traditional circumnavigators route" by stark in only one post. This to me would mean something like: Carib, Panama, Galapagos, Marquesas, Tahiti, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu, Darwin, Xmas Island, Cocos Keeling, Madagascar, Cape Town, St Helena, Georgetown, and on back to carib.

Another "traditional circumnavigators route" might take a hard right turn after australia to india and then on through the red sea and med.

Can we at least agree on what route we are discussing as a "traditional circumnavigators route"?
Old 29-06-2010, 21:00   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
No bash. You couldn't handle a moderately sized boat. Not in your life time. You just don't have it in you. You'll specifically ask:

"PLEASE PLEASE I NEED A 50 FT BOAT WITH 9 FEET OF DRAFT OR I WILL DIE OH MY MY MY MY!!!"
Wow. You wrote that at 16:24, local time? Are we drinking early these days?
Old 29-06-2010, 21:09   #28
cruiser

Drinks are over. Headache commences.

Back in the iso-slot. safety harness attached.

So...can we find an agreement somewhere on which way is which?
Old 29-06-2010, 23:08   #29

If one is using Marinas in South East Asia , draft can be problem when the tide only allows entry and exit at certain times of the month. So would concur that for cruising world wide -- 6ft (2m) is a good limit.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 23:51   #30

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
I don't think you're being fair to the OP. Paul was never saying he was going to choose a boat solely on draft, and never suggested that it wasn't just "one factor in a myriad of other factors". Just because there are many factors, that doesn't make it wrong to consider each one when making a choice.

Specifically Paul's question as he posed it was "At what point does having a deep draft really start to restrict where you can go?" and he gave an idea of where he would like to go, so it seems an eminently appropriate question to ask...
I probably could have phrased my answer better... it isn't the "wrong" question (my dad always told me there are no stupid questions, only stupid offspring, or something). What I was trying to say is that, when one is going through the process of buying a boat, there is often a tendency to not see the wood for the trees... that is; to sweat the details, while, perhaps, losing sight of the bigger picture. If you look at the list of boat that have circumnavigated, every possible shape, size and draft probably has, at some time, made it around the pond. Very few of us are lucky enough to be able to afford our ideal boat, so we just have to love the boat we have. More (or less) draft is never going to be a deal breaker... I mean, if you can't get into a marina, it doesn't mean you can't drop the pick and take the dink...

I also tend to believe that the "right" answer is such a personal thing... so based on ones own strengths, weaknesses and experience, that all "right" answers should be treated with a degree of caution. I know a guy who has a 64 foot monohull... he can (and does) sail it anywhere, single handed. Personally I would (maybe i could, but I don't even want to try). I and my partner are perfectly happy 2-handing our 40' boat, but we have been told, on more than once occasion, that our boat is way to big and powerful to be handled byjust the 2 of us. I alos know people that wont take their 30' boats away unlees they have at least 3 aboard....
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote