Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 09:06   #1

Maximum Range of Boats this Size . . .

So I've recently been investigating boats as an alternative to buying a house.

I've been looking at motor sailors about this size: link.

What kind of range does a boat like that have? (just from the engines). Can range be feasibly extended at the sacrifice of a cabin?
SotorMailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
That is a hell of a boat. At that price I would be after a very complete survey.

Refitting stuff like sails and riggin on this boat is definitely not going to be cheap.

I don't have an idea about the range other than a complete guess so I will keep quiet.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:21   #3

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
That is a hell of a boat. At that price I would be after a very complete survey.

Refitting stuff like sails and riggin on this boat is definitely not going to be cheap.

I don't have an idea about the range other than a complete guess so I will keep quiet.
The mac 65s where always cheap, i believe about 100 were built. designed to be competitive in that west coast race to hawaii :-)

guessing the boat should easily see 10+ knots of boat speed under power, but not sure of the range either.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:28   #4

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
I'd have never thought of using such a boat as a cruiser, thinking it was "squirrelly" (inherently unstable, requiring constant rudder adjustments). Like a nervous thoroughbred rather than a docile work horse. Is this prejudice justified?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:33   #5

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I'll take a shot at this, but it's a general estimate based on waterline length.. Under power alone you'd probably get around 8.5 knots burning 3 gallons an hour, which with a 250 gallon tank would equate to around 83 hours. Say 700 nautical miles range. Generator use would reduce this, burning around 0.5 gallons an hour. Installing extra fuel tanks is fraught with problems, given that the boat is designed to carry a maximum all up weight but at some expense, it's do-able.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05   #6

Boat: 1984 CS 36
do you really want a boat that big?
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:18   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
These Big Macs were made pretty lightly for speed and not comfort for cruising. Her rudder is unprotected. You can tell by the shape of her keel that she wasn't made for tradewind sailing. Her range is wherever you want to go if you sail most the time.
If you are looking for something that will mainly be a liveaboard and tied to the dock most the time then there are many alternatives that provide great interior space but a bit less performance oriented. My friend just sold his Cal 2-46 and it was a great liveaboard.
Kind regards,
Old 02-09-2010, 11:39   #8

My guess is that 3 gal/hr is probably worst case for this boat which is listed at 32000 displacement.

I agree it's not a good choice for liveaboard and voyaging, for a number of reasons.

Also while the boat is 65 long the max beam is only 12 feet so it's not really as big a boat as the length would indicate.

If I were looking for a liveaboard, I'd check out a 51 footer like this Beneteau, which has almost 2 feet more beam and probably has at least as much room below as the MacGregor (with a similar displacement) and is a much more seaworthy boat with a nicer interior, etc.

1987 Beneteau Idylle Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
I'll take a shot at this, but it's a general estimate based on waterline length.. Under power alone you'd probably get around 8.5 knots burning 3 gallons an hour, which with a 250 gallon tank would equate to around 83 hours. Say 700 nautical miles range. Generator use would reduce this, burning around 0.5 gallons an hour. Installing extra fuel tanks is fraught with problems, given that the boat is designed to carry a maximum all up weight but at some expense, it's do-able.

P.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:01   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
That boat is designed with a bit of the Dashew's philosophy (the Sundeers) -- same volume packaged in a longer LOA resulting in much longer LWL giving much more speed. The interior volume of this boat is similar to a 45 footer or maximum 50 footer conventional cruiser. The beam is narrow. The fitout is plasticky and cheap and spartan in the extreme. I don't think it's very cheap at $220,000.

By all accounts they sail very well, and are very fast.

A Sundeer is much nicer and much better quality, but of course, much more money.

You pays your money and takes your choices.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 18:19   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
200 grams of fuel per hp per hour. Weigh against the size of the tanks and you get your range.

Normally, 2hp per metric ton is what you need to get a boat going. More if there is wind or current against you.

This one looks like she will motor very well, but it is a big boat, so you will still need a good number of hps.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:56   #11

I don't understand the question. It's a sailboat. It's not even what most would consider a "motorsailer". It's range is unlimited, so long as the wind is blowing. If you want a motorboat, this is most definitely NOT the boat for you!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:48   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The fitout is plasticky and cheap and spartan in the extreme. I don't think it's very cheap at $220,000.
I will second that. used to sail on one quite often. Pieces were always breaking or falling off. To me it was a toy boat built for those who had onefootitis

As a liveaboard.. it would frustrate you
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote