Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-03-2015, 09:29   #61

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Max length = 26 feet

One of my automatic searches in Yachtworld sent me this today. One of my favorite boats. 1994 Nimble Kodiak Motorsailer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Old 18-03-2015, 23:06   #62

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ericsons are fine boats. But to discredit the Nonsuch because you don't get enough practice on headsails is not necessary. You can good at headsails in about a half hour, at most. But to not have to change any headsails is very appealing. Try sailing a few of the different boats if you can. I have a feeling you'll fall for the Nonsuch.

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 05:40   #63

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ericsons are fine boats. But to discredit the Nonsuch because you don't get enough practice on headsails is not necessary. You can good at headsails in about a half hour, at most. But to not have to change any headsails is very appealing. Try sailing a few of the different boats if you can. I have a feeling you'll fall for the Nonsuch.
I've seen Nonsuch & they seems well built. What I don't like it's the weight of the carbon mast all the way in front where the buoyancy is not that great (Plus the weight of chain & anchor) ! By the way, what's the weight of a carbon mast on a 26 footer ?
Also... on sloop/cutter, we don't change headsails, we furl them & if I could afford a 40 footer it would be a cutter with furling genoa AND furling staysail. Look at round-the-world singlehander 60 footer: They have three furling headsails plus a drifter set on the bowsprit !

PS: Found on another forum: Alu was just under 6 lbs/ft and CF was just over 3 lbs/ft

http://areyspondboatyard.com/wp-cont...ers-manual.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3Headsails.jpeg.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	99062  
Old 19-03-2015, 07:44   #64

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post

Being a life long sailor & having owned a cat ketch with wishbone rig for about 10 years I realized that you can actually learn more about sailing without a headsail. The wishbone rig forces you to concentrate on foil shape much more than the sloop rig. You change the foil shape by moving the wishbone fore or aft creating more or less lift. On a sloop the shape of the main is more fixed & the jib makes up a relatively small part of the rig so changing it's shape has less effect. Of course getting the most out of a sloop rig is a learning experience but don't be fooled by the apparent simplicity of the Nonsuch rig. Getting the most out it will make you a better sailor.
Old 19-03-2015, 08:11   #65

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
What about something like a Bristol 24? Maybe not as spacious as some others, but definitely a boat that can take you up and down the coast and over to the Bahamas and the Caribbean with no problems. Plus, they're well under you $30,000 budget. You could buy one for maybe 10k and have up to 20k for any repairs or upgrades you might want.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I agree, the Bristol 24 Corsair is a fine boat, head room of approx 5' 10' My wife and i have had ours going on our third year.
Old 19-03-2015, 10:58   #66

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
I agree, the Bristol 24 Corsair is a fine boat, head room of approx 5' 10' My wife and i have had ours going on our third year.
It's not the biggest sailboats that sail the most ! I remember meeting a young couple who had converted an 8 meter liner liferaft into an offshore sailboat: The liferaft came with a single cylinder Volvo engine, no battery, just hand cranked; they had decked the boat & welded a keel, raised a telephone post " la Moitessier" using galvanize wire for standing rigging & second hand re-cutted sails... When I met them they had sailed her from France to the Marquesas in the Pacific via the Panama canal & were on their way to Australia... Footnote: The sailboat looked OK but the young lady was a mix blood chinese-polynesian of breathtaking beauty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LinerLiferaft.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	99069  
Old 25-03-2015, 15:11   #67
Marine Service Provider

What about MacGregor 26 ?
Old 25-03-2015, 15:50   #68

Boat: Oday30-B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
It's not the biggest sailboats that sail the most !
Yep, I think you’re correct… we bought our B24, Angels Wings, for $625 or so and with a few hundred bucks (maybe a thousand with the new/used kicker) sailed her for about four+ years… now is on the hard and are doing a more thorough redo (hesitate to call it a refitting, but more the way I wanted -- the hull will be the same one anyway), still more sweat than money… previously had lived aboard a 42 and 48 footers over about ten years, and in the three we had Wimgs in the water she had double the sailing time as the other two put together – Wings has standing headroom, but is otherwise pretty compact… Still haven’t gotten outside the Bay, but workin’ on it… alternatives abound.
Old 25-03-2015, 16:14   #69

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

I have a list on my website which might prove useful. It's a compilation of every boat under 30' that I considered live-aboard capable (or not, as the case may be)

Of course you'll have to weed out the 27+ boats but lengths are listed along with links. The links are simple. They lead to a folder and you can download any pictures, data you wish. At one time (still?) it was the largest repository of under 30's on the web.

Link here: Janice142 The Boat List

Good luck to you. I'm rather partial to the Frances26 and the ColvicWatson 24 and 26'ers.

Some power boats are being added so watch for M/V unless you'd like to come over to the dark side.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:48   #70

Boat: Ericson 27, 1978

I'd like to know what the OP is going to do in the end! What boat will be bought?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: