Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-08-2016, 04:33   #31

Boat: Mid size sloop rigged
Re: Max Draft?

I'm not saying don't leave a margin of safety, you still leave a margin of safety.

But if your margin of safety is 6 inches and your draft reading is out by 3" then you are blindly reducing your margin of safety by 3".

I am comfortable with 4" over a cill, in a lock I am very familiar with, say a lock I use 20 times a year. I just go real slow.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:05   #32

Re: Max Draft???

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
I don't understand what your concern is. Inches don't normally matter as prudent sailors will keep a reasonable depth under the keel. Weather conditions can cause big differences in depth of the sea. Relax and enjoy your new boat!
Maybe in place with rocks all over the bottom. We have mud and sand where I live, and I have skidded my sailboat on the bottom countless times to get to a place I really wanted to go.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:14   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Oh dear....

Thinking that you can safely navigate anywhere ( lock sills included ) to a depth tolerance measured in inches is akin to giving position reports to the third decimal of a minute of arc......
2" of error on a 5' draft is a 3.3% margin of error. In terms of a circle, that is equivalent to 12 degrees. When you are plotting a course, are you cool with a 12 degree margin of error in your course? At any given time you may be off course by 20 degrees, just like when you are in the bottom of a trough your draft might be 6 feet deeper then when you are on a crest. If you know what your course should be, to within the degree you can correct, if you're okay with a 12 degree error in plotting a course, in a static environment, you certainly would not be welcome to navigate my boat.

The kind of inaccuracy your talking about could mean departing New York for Morocco and hitting Northern Spain. You might be okay with that,
but I sail in thin water, all the time and thousands of other people do too. I know my draft to within a couple of inches, and armed with that knowledge, I can make informed decisions. If I chose to be ignorant of my actual draft (at the time I leave dock, not at any given moment in time), I would be aground a lot more than I am or alternatively, I'd be to frightened to ever leave the dock.

If the OP asked the question, then there might be a very real reason they are concerned about their actual draft, which can only be determined as other posters have said, with a measuring tape. They might be playing in very marginal water, some of us do that you know? I get it, you and Jim don't, you play offshore in blue water, but not every body does.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:28   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't really know exactly what my draft is, yet I am pretty sure exactly how much water is under my keel.
I'm not real smart and don't like doing math, so what I did was very slowly ran my boat aground in a very gently sloping area of the bay in calm water, then set my depth finder to read zero, Now I know when I see 1 ft, I have 1 ft under the keel.
For me, thats good enough, cause I have not yet been somewhere where the exact depth of an underwater object has been known, I just go real slow and have always so far done no damage and have always been able to back off easily.
It may be like bridges, you think the exact height is known, there is a board indicating it right at the bridge, but it seems bridges are a little higher? Maybe that height is to the lowest point, that light in the middle or something?
Old 10-08-2016, 08:23   #35

Uncivilized, the issue here isn't the accuracy of Jim's statements, I think we agreed a measuring tape was the best tool for the job and that for the OPs purposes it probably didn't matter.

The issue is the condescension. Using exclamation "tides" to explain what tides are is extremely condescending.

On the place that I referenced- the Rideau Canal which sees hundreds if not thousands of cruising boats annually is depth controlled to 60". That means even a power boat- like say a 30' Sea Ray only has 22" under the drive leg, so any fixed keel sailboat who is visiting the area is going to want to know their draft to within a couple of inches (which is a potential total range of 4") if they are going to attempt to cross the 60" cills.

People can heckle me all they want because I'm not a regular poster, but the fact is, I go into 60" water with a 56" draft on a regular basis. As do a lot of other people. If water levels are down by a couple of inches I want to know about it before I get there, and I do call ahead to lock stations for depth readings and the lock masters are happy to give them to me because they don't want a big cruising sailboat stuck in their lock.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:32   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Max Draft???

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Don't know what the advertised draft Is based on but assume it's a bare boat with fuel water and basic equipment. FWIW our Westsail 32 fully loaded with provisions for at least 6 months, spare fuel and water in Gerry jugs, 3 anchors, 230' of 3/8" chain and everything we accumulated for our living needs, was 6" down on the molded in waterline. On my current boat with a much lighter but still extensive loading, have raised the waterline 2".
Yep, my Passport 47 was down 5" fully loaded. All that stuff went across the dock to the 42 ft catamaran, which was only down <2".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:47   #37

See attached rule curves for the Rideau canal, this isn't a place I have made up.

Rideau Lakes' Rule Curves

But I do stand corrected on point I made, I said 100's if not thousands of boats visited the Rideau annually. The actual figure for 2015 was in the neighbourhood of 58000. So I'm not the only person doing this.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:13   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

1- I set our depth finder to zero, then the damn thing reset itself, 3times. Now I just leave it alone and add 3 feet for th offset. Under 3 feet I'm aground.
2- Or should be, because often I ain't. The sounder is reading weeds or loose silt or whatever.
3- sometimes the depth changes upon my passage. Leave a 26" wide channel behind me as I go.
4- sometimes that 26" wide channel abruptly stops. Sigh!

All joking aside, they are new sailors, they will run aground and survive, especially if they sail in muddy water. So my advice is be careful, but don't ruin your trip ruminating. If you sail in rocks, then be very careful and ruminate a bit.
Old 10-08-2016, 14:42   #39

Location: Port Stanley, Falkland Islands, waiting on weather..
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungvar View Post
2" of error on a 5' draft is a 3.3% margin of error. In terms of a circle, that is equivalent to 12 degrees. When you are plotting a course, are you cool with a 12 degree margin of error in your course? At any given time you may be off course by 20 degrees, just like when you are in the bottom of a trough your draft might be 6 feet deeper then when you are on a crest. If you know what your course should be, to within the degree you can correct, if you're okay with a 12 degree error in plotting a course, in a static environment, you certainly would not be welcome to navigate my boat.

The kind of inaccuracy your talking about could mean departing New York for Morocco and hitting Northern Spain. You might be okay with that,
but I sail in thin water, all the time and thousands of other people do too. I know my draft to within a couple of inches, and armed with that knowledge, I can make informed decisions. If I chose to be ignorant of my actual draft (at the time I leave dock, not at any given moment in time), I would be aground a lot more than I am or alternatively, I'd be to frightened to ever leave the dock.

If the OP asked the question, then there might be a very real reason they are concerned about their actual draft, which can only be determined as other posters have said, with a measuring tape. They might be playing in very marginal water, some of us do that you know? I get it, you and Jim don't, you play offshore in blue water, but not every body does.
I don't always play in blue water but I do play in areas where precise depths aren't known so my thought processes reflect that.
I will grant that... yes... if in home waters and dealing with sills where absolute water depths are known you can work to very fine tolerances. Just look at the clearances they live with daily in the Panama canal frinstance.

El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: