Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2004, 07:44   #1
Pat

Mason 48 Ketch?

Does anyone have information on a Mason 48' fiberglass ketch? We will be looking at one soon and I've tried to get background information on that type of boat but haven't seen anything related to that size of Mason in fiberglass. The boat was built in 1975. Thanks!
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 17:30   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Mason 48

I'm not familiar with that particula boat, but Mason had one of the better reputations as a builder of the Tiwanese-made boats. They are very pretty (to my eye) and most are decent sailing boats. Hire a good surveyor, let him do his thing thoroughly and abide by his findings!
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 17:17   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Mason

The Taiwan Masons you're referring to were built by PAE ( Pacific Asian Enterprises) which now builds mostly Nordhavn trawlers in China. Their most popular Mason model was the 43. I understand they'll build a Mason if you order one now but their bread and butter is Nordhavns. I don't believe they ever built a Mason 48 so maybe this one was built by who? It would be interesting if you could tell us a bit more about the 48.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:41   #4
Pat

Thanks for the feedback! It sounded like the boat needed a lot of work so we backed off. We are going to keep on looking for our retirement cruiser....
Old 05-09-2004, 14:16   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pat - Obviously I'm more than just a bit prejudiced, but check out the CSY 44's. There were two basic designs (same hull), the "walkover" (most common) in which access to the aft cabin is gained by walking over the center cockpit, and the "walkthrough" in which access to the aft cabin is via a passageway from the main saloon (through the galley). Both have their advantages - we happen to prefer the w/o layout. These boats were built like tanks, have GOBS of storage, excellent ventillation, plenty of living space, cutter rig and entirely acceptable sailing characteristics. That said, being big and heavy they are not the fastest on a Sunday afternoon trying to get around the racing bouys, but on a longer run, especially if there is any kind of wind, they do quite nicely. Can find one from mid-70's through about $130K depending on condition - with a few being above and below. You can check ours out at our sebsite (below). They are all aging (built from '77to '81), but most are holding up very well, tho depending on prior care may need some upgrading. Make a great basic platform upon which to build. If you have any questions feel perfectly free ...
Old 12-09-2004, 06:06   #6
Pat

Harryrez, thanks for the information!

We weren't familiar with CSY's prior to your response but are checking them out now. They sound like really good boats...one of the sites discussing boats to consider for offshore cruising mentions the CSY 37 and 44 specifically.

A few questions:
Are CSY's prone to blister problems?
Are they full keel?
Can they be easily sailed by one or two realative novice people (I know that depends a lot on how the boat is rigged but just trying to get a feel)

Also, I've been told that the average cost for maintaining boats in the 30-40 foot range is a lot less than 40 feet and above. Obviously bigger is better for space but we are going to be on a fixed income so need to try to keep expenses down.

We currently own an Alberg 30 built in 1962/63 (hull #5) primarily because those boats were also built like tanks. As newbies, that is very appealing. The problem is that as we are now thinking of retirement cruising, she is a bit small for us to live on permanently.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Old 15-09-2004, 11:34   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pat - Sorry for the long delay - been out of town.
I don't know of any CSYs with significant blister problems. May have an occasional little one here or there, but certainly nothing out of the ordinary. (We've had none in 4 years)
It is not a full keel - it has a long keel with a cutaway forefoot and a skeg-hung rudder with the prop in an aperature - very much like the Valiant 40's. With the deep keel configuration (6'6") they are very stable and they track very well. The shoal draft ( a factory option) is about 5', but they don't go to weather as well, have more sideslip, and rock'n roll more at anchor.
We sail ours with just the two of us all the time - and I know of a fellow - in MA I think - who has his rigged so he single hands her! Very forgiving boat to sail, and with the cutter rig, the sails are reasonably sized.
We use ours in charter a few months each year, and a 44 may seem like a lot of boat for just two people, but we LOVE the room (lots of space to put"stuff"), and the walkover layout, which completely separates the huge aft cabin from the rest of the boat, is great if someone wants to read or nap while the other does something else. Absolutely love the huge, deep cockpit, too... we pretty much live there!
We, too, are on a very limited budget, but we find the cost to maintain our 44 is not that much more than a bit smaller boat. Where they kill you is if you spend a lot of time in marinas - because they charge by the foot LOA. WE NEVER go to marinas (there are none in our current area!), so that is not a factor.
We know of families who have circumnavigated on 44's and loved it. Really great liveaboard boats. Just take your time looking, hire a GOOD surveyor when you find one you like - and have fun!
Check our website (below) and feel free to contact me off this list if you have any more questions or concerns - glad to help!
Harry Rezzemini
s/v La Nostra
www.lanostra.net
Old 20-09-2004, 16:06   #8
Pat

harryrezz, I sent you an email with more questions....please take a look when you have a chance. Thanks again for your input!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:30   #9

Boat: Bayfield 32c
pirate Re: Mason 48 Ketch?

I have a 48' Mason sitting in my yard. I know very little about it. I was told that it's hall is vinyl ester resin. The hull is solid built with lots of room and a beautiful shape. The hull was purchased over 20 years ago but the owner was never able to start the project. The hull is completely empty but came with a lot of parts and a Perkins 4236 on the factory pallet also purchased 20 years ago. The engine is what I was after. I know that the mast and mizzen cost him more than the boat and both have hinges so that they fold down. It is a beautiful hull with a huge center cockpit, and huge entry way. My mission how ever is the half moon a 42' Whitby. I'm not sure I'll ever get to this Mason but I'm almost done with the Whitby. I have a stack of blue prints that I might be able to help with a question or confuse the issue more.
jgraff428 is offline   Reply With Quote