Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 14:52   #16

Re: Mason 43 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngfoster View Post
I too, find the Mason 43 a very beautiful looking boat. I've been looking at various sailboats from the "CCA era", primarily for their beauty, but also as many of them were built at the beginning of the fiberglass era, and were overbuilt a bit. This appeals to me in a cruising boat.

I particularly find the aft cabin in the M43 attractive (which one looses on the later M44), as I have 3 girls in my family. Trying to find a relatively small boat, of quality construction and seaworthiness (read NO BENETEAUs or HUNTERs), that can provide private berths outside of the living area, for a family of 5, that is affordable (under $100,000 US), is definitely a challenge. It seems one either has to go up to a 50+ ft boat ($$$$), or settle for cheap quality (worn out charter boat).

I'm certainly open to ideas for alternatives, but with those criteria, I haven't come across too many other boats that meet these constraints. Thoughts?
What does under a 100 thousand mean? Does 99,000 qualify?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 20:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
What does under a 100 thousand mean? Does 99,000 qualify?
Yes. One needs to drawn the line somewhere. If it were the boat though, a few extra thousand dollars could probably be worked out.
johngfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 22:59   #18

We have been told that Hooked has some similarities to a Mason 43. She definitely meets your criteria for a family of 5 (queen aft cabin, like the Mason, two wide/long (6'8") pilot berths and a V. Electric head, sep shower, workshop. She is opposite of a Benhunalina - ha! Hulls made ahead of their time (tough as nails, with kevlar and stringers, yet light and swift). Perform well in light to heavy gale force wind and sea-state. Only 24 made, yet two have done rtw, others a lot of bluewater racing and cruising.
A surveyor was recently aboard and I asked for constructive criticism, all he could say was that she was just lovely.
Hooked is the most cruiser friendly of the S43s having a cruising conversion and recent refit. $84k SF Bay.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/54312

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngfoster View Post
I too, find the Mason 43 a very beautiful looking boat. I've been looking at various sailboats from the "CCA era", primarily for their beauty, but also as many of them were built at the beginning of the fiberglass era, and were overbuilt a bit. This appeals to me in a cruising boat.

I particularly find the aft cabin in the M43 attractive (which one looses on the later M44), as I have 3 girls in my family. Trying to find a relatively small boat, of quality construction and seaworthiness (read NO BENETEAUs or HUNTERs), that can provide private berths outside of the living area, for a family of 5, that is affordable (under $100,000 US), is definitely a challenge. It seems one either has to go up to a 50+ ft boat ($$$$), or settle for cheap quality (worn out charter boat).

I'm certainly open to ideas for alternatives, but with those criteria, I haven't come across too many other boats that meet these constraints. Thoughts?
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 23:04   #19

Having delivered a Mason 43 and owned and sailed a Peterson 44 for many years, I would say the Mason was a little better build quality but the Peterson sailed better. The aft cabin and aft cockpit on the Mason made for it being awkward to go from the cockpit to the companionway, much like the older Cheoy Lee Off Shore 40s. I really liked the center cockpit of the Peterson and I think it still had nice lines. It wasnt a raised up hump in the middle like many CC boats. Just my opinion. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 20:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Having delivered a Mason 43 and owned and sailed a Peterson 44 for many years, I would say the Mason was a little better build quality but the Peterson sailed better. The aft cabin and aft cockpit on the Mason made for it being awkward to go from the cockpit to the companionway, much like the older Cheoy Lee Off Shore 40s. I really liked the center cockpit of the Peterson and I think it still had nice lines. It wasnt a raised up hump in the middle like many CC boats. Just my opinion. ____Grant.
Even to this day I think the Peterson 44 is one of the prettiest center cockpits ever designed and they do sail very well. Lots of stuff that needs refitting on many of them but if you can find a nice one that has been kept well they make excellent passage makers and good all around cruisers.
Old 08-01-2017, 20:36   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ok, so the Bristol 45.5 came up in another thread, that may a good option along with the Valiant 47 it was being compared to. I had thought of the Freya 39 and the Valiant 40 but they may be a little on the small side. I sailed a Downeast 38 quite a bit years ago and found it to be pretty well built and sailed surprisingly well, so the Downeast 45 might be one to check too, pretty roomy.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 21:12   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

This thread my be of help:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...123120-26.html

I forgot about the Westsail 42, that might be one to check too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 21:41   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
We have been told that Hooked has some similarities to a Mason 43.
A Serendipity 43 and a Mason 43 are indeed nearly identical... in length overall! I'm hard pressed to find other similarities myself, and would be interested in what you think they are.

And I'm not bashing the Seredipity... I'd prefer one to the Mason myself, if kitted out for cruising and with the rig simplified a bit.

Jim
Old 08-01-2017, 23:18   #24

Hi Jim, yes I agree with you, the avg S43 would seem to have not a whole lot in common with a Mason 43, other than loa (S43 a foot less and a foot beamier). I have been told Hooked in particular resembles a M43; due to a similiar interior layout. She is different from all other S43s though. Ck out the listing (youtube too) and you will see. They are both light for their length, giving nice performance, cutter rigged (S43 around 18,000 lbs, M43 25,000).

I agree with the other contributor about the Peterson 44. Although, I feel the 46 would be my pick due to the larger u-shaped dinette, better for seating and possibility of being convertible. Few CC boats do look as good as the KPs. Maybe some Oysters and Amels?
Of course they have a much higher purchase price.

I have read a few times now how excellent Doug Peterson was at blending beauty, bluewater standards with sailing performance.
I must agree. Hooked can literally sail herself and people are always amazed at her clever designs (mods we have done too) and her salty, sturdy fit n finish. Recently had a surveyor aboard and I asked him for some constructive criticism, he could only respond with "she's lovely".

If you ever want to read an amazing blog, please check out our sistership Wings. Wingsblogspot.com, Fred and Judy are still cruising their racer model and winning races while cruising in their early 70s. One of the things that I believe sets them apart from other blogs are that they share their logbook. Also, Fred takes great photos and seeing his wife Judy with a smile driving their thoroughbred in 30kts and 20' seas is an excellent example to women (sailors) everywhere! They are also perhaps the most active longest running blog around, starteing in July 1996 and going strong.
Lots of people my age can get out there an go cruising, but to me it's people like them, Heartjoy and Socrates that are the real bad ass sailors (you and Ann too, btw!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A Serendipity 43 and a Mason 43 are indeed nearly identical... in length overall! I'm hard pressed to find other similarities myself, and would be interested in what you think they are.

And I'm not bashing the Seredipity... I'd prefer one to the Mason myself, if kitted out for cruising and with the rig simplified a bit.

Jim

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-01-2017, 01:08   #25

Sailor C,

We've met Fred and Judy along the way, and I used to race OYRA in San Francisco when Wings was a top IOR boat, so I'm familiar to some degree with her. I'm a fan of cruising in older race boats, and the first Insatiable was indeed an early IOR one-tonner... from a day when racers were not quite the bare shells that they are today.

At any rate, I understand the appeal that Hooked has for you, and can share some of your enthusiasm. But she still doesn't resemble the Mason to my eye... but I've not compared them below decks.

Years ago we met Silver Apples, one of the boats that survived the infamous Fastnet disaster. She was being cruised by a younger couple, and we leapfrogged through the Pacific with them. I asked the lady of the crew (names long gone) what they had done to turn a high level racer into a cruiser. She thought about it for a minute, brightened up and said "well, my husband put some teak steps on the companionway ladder... before it was just stainless rails". Now THAT'S a cruising boat!

Jim
Old 09-01-2017, 07:12   #26

The M43 is one of my favorite interior layouts. But nothing is perfect & usage & needs vary with owners. Personally, in my opinion, the interior could be improved by: A centerline table with port side pilot & settee bunks, widening the stbd pilot bunk such that is it a permanent pilot bunk.

With that said, the M43 deck & cockpit layout has "issues" as noted above. If I had one & was doing much off shore work, I would consider trying to modify for a C/L companionway into the aft cabin.

Overall, for a family w/ kids, the Peterson 44 is probably a better boat. While it may appear a bit off the wall, the early 80's Morgan 46 CC (& I am not a center cockpit fan) has much to be said for it live aboard
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 20:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sailor C,

We've met Fred and Judy along the way, and I used to race OYRA in San Francisco when Wings was a top IOR boat, so I'm familiar to some degree with her. I'm a fan of cruising in older race boats, and the first Insatiable was indeed an early IOR one-tonner... from a day when racers were not quite the bare shells that they are today.

At any rate, I understand the appeal that Hooked has for you, and can share some of your enthusiasm. But she still doesn't resemble the Mason to my eye... but I've not compared them below decks.

Years ago we met Silver Apples, one of the boats that survived the infamous Fastnet disaster. She was being cruised by a younger couple, and we leapfrogged through the Pacific with them. I asked the lady of the crew (names long gone) what they had done to turn a high level racer into a cruiser. She thought about it for a minute, brightened up and said "well, my husband put some teak steps on the companionway ladder... before it was just stainless rails". Now THAT'S a cruising boat!

Jim
Jim, the people who said it we're primarily speaking of the interior. This S43 is pretty unique from the rest. https://youtu.be/P7-NJ5KeMn4

If you have any footage of those races I sure would love to see them!
Very cool that you met Fred and Judy.
Do you and Ann have a blog? It would no doubt be a good one too. But perhaps you two are too busy giving good advice on here?
Old 09-01-2017, 23:28   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Jim, the people who said it we're primarily speaking of the interior. This S43 is pretty unique from the rest. https://youtu.be/P7-NJ5KeMn4

If you have any footage of those races I sure would love to see them!
Very cool that you met Fred and Judy.
Do you and Ann have a blog? It would no doubt be a good one too. But perhaps you two are too busy giving good advice on here?
Footage of those races??? My friend, I think they were before the advent of moving pictures! Being a sort of Luddite (at least in some aspects) we still do not have a dedicated video camera, and as a single hander in the early eighties I was too busy to even consider photography. So, no footage of Wings in her glory days. We seldom got a good look at the IOR fleet anyhow... this was the very early days of single hand racing, and the establishment was a bit worried about us, so we had to start last, and the IOR guys started first and were long gone before we got to use t he staging area. The fun aspect of this was sometimes getting to pass some of the MORA boats that started before us; they hated it, we loved it!

And no, neither Ann nor I have any interest in blogging. There is an overload of that floating about the web as is, and it does not appeal to us to add to that (dare I say) mess. We hope that some of our experiences can help other cruisers, and we're happy to share what we know, but our day to day activities are pretty boring in general, and I'm not creative enough to make them seem interesting!

Anyhow, the Wings folks have done a lot of good crusing, and I'm glad to see other old racers that are not sent off to the knackers when their racing days are done.

Jim
Old 10-01-2017, 14:09   #29

Boat: Mason 44

In October we ended up buying the Mason 44 I mentioned in my previous post. She's the next to last hull made, no teak decks and both the fore and aft cabins have large Pullman berths and lots of storage. We're now looking forward to moving aboard and heading out.
pamellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 14:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamellon View Post
In October we ended up buying the Mason 44 I mentioned in my previous post. She's the next to last hull made, no teak decks and both the fore and aft cabins have large Pullman berths and lots of storage. We're now looking forward to moving aboard and heading out.
The editor of Bluewater Sailing chose the same boat to circumnavigate with his family, I'm sure you will like your choice, it has a great row away factor!