Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 03:39   #1
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Mason 43

Hi, can any Mason yacht owners help me .I'm looking at purchasing a Mason 43 {in very good cond 1981} I'm a bit concerned re the teak decks as they are teak over balsa core which i have been told can leak if not laid correctly is this correct ? would love to hear from any Mason owners with regards to the above.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:40   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I'm a bit concerned re the teak decks as they are teak over balsa core which i have been told can leak if not laid correctly is this correct ?
I have one friend that has a Mason 43 with teak decks and it does not leak. They obviously like the boat a lot. In good shape I would own one. The prices seem to be all over the range. I think all teak decks of this age are laid about the same way at least the specifications are the same. Masons are generally thought of as well built in terms of Tiawan boats.

It's impossible to decide if your particular deck was laid properly other than with a inspection. New teak decks don't use screws as the adhesive technology has progreessed so they are not required. 25 years of life is a rule of thumb that floats around for the life of a teak deck. That could vary depending on where the boat was for most of the time and a lot more by how it was cared for.

A soft brush and a bucket of salt water every day can make a huge difference.
Your survey should be able to help you decide if the deck has problems. If the deck is leaking there should be evidence available to indicate the problem. You can't easily cover up that kind of problem. Teak that gets dried out can split.

I wouldn't go by what other owners have found or didn't find. Repairing a teak deck is no easy job. Many folks will walk away from any boat with a teak deck. We have a teak deck only in the cockpit and bridge deck. I like it but don't feel the need to add more It's only 17 years old and seems perfectly fine.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 13:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The decks of older Masons have marine plywood cores. If teak decking was applied over the fiberglass, the screws reach down into the core. This can be a problem over time, as moisture enters the laminate and core and gradually rots both. The remedy is to infuse resin into the punky areas and re-screw and seal soft portions of the deck.
It is not a cause for alarm or condemnation.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote