Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2008, 23:04   #16

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
eos2voyage, Hi man, If you have an RL 24 you're really gonna be Pxxxed off if you're thinking of changeing as no way is a Martzcraft gonna compete with one of them. Even the SC 36 is a tad on the slow side. Only thing you'll have is a lot of bedroom when you get somewhere.Definately check out your friends boat, but I think he's trying to tell you something. Check the figures ie waterline length etc, and a not so good profile underneath it all adds up/ Sorry to those who love them but not too many of us like to go slow. natureboy/
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 23:48   #17

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolanreg@smartc View Post
The South Coast 36's were all built in the 'Gong by a great builder who did put a good boat together:
That builder from the 'Gong' Rudy is the production manager for Seawind Cat's a world famous 'Gong built boat'

South Coast Hull is built like a Brick$*thouse. Bloody tough.

Cheers,

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 19:01   #18

Boat: Austral 30 Imagine
SC 36 Vs Martzcraft 35

My mail on the two boats is that both are fairly slow. Bt the MC35 is quicker. Having looked at both boats my money is going on the MC35. For me the MC35 is a far better package and from what I've seen a bit cheaper.
PPL interested can google Martzcraft 35 info and read a story of a trip by a Tassie Doctor to Cape Horn and beyond on a MC 35. After reading this I started look in depth at the MC35. When the right one cmes along I will be buying.
fleetwood56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 00:43   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwood56 View Post
My mail on the two boats is that both are fairly slow. Bt the MC35 is quicker.
Have you sailed on a South Coast? or just a theory?

Old 27-08-2008, 00:22   #20

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
surfingminnywinny, If one had to make a choice between the mz35 and the sc36 one would have to go for the latter. There seems to be a lot of bxx it going on. They are both fairly slow but the former is a real dog in lighter cond. hulls were built by martzy with you doing the labouring and learing to glass, then you took the hull home to put the deck on and fit it out. So everyboat is a bit different to another in that way. The Sth c 36 was built to Hull & deck at Sth coast yachts. Originaly it was a Roberts 36 but modifications were done to Hull & deck that made it a better boat.that was a tad faster and handled better. quite a few were completely finished at the factory and if you can get one of these you'd have a very nice boat.Ruddy Waalkins, the builder always put a lot of effort into doing a good job on them. I never heard a word of criticism of his boats. Yous pays yer money and makes yer choice.and never buy a boat you're not in love with, I've sailed on both but I prefer the Duncanson 37 to either.try one. natureboy
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 21:38   #21

Hi Natureboy,

yes we own a factory fitted SC 36, I can't help but agree with you.

Cheers.

Old 22-08-2009, 17:47   #22

Boat: Martz 35 Mahe
Martz 35

I am a builder/ owner of a Martz 35 which I circumnavigated between 1995 to 2002 and the vessel has been wonderfull, the vessels exploits can be read on Marinezine.com under circumnavigators plus a near escape from Hurricane Lenny in 1999. I am also a surveyor and have surveyed numerours Martz and SC 36 and can also supply info
Mahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 17:51   #23

Boat: Martz 35 Mahe
martz 35

In regards toDuncanson 37 yes there are alot faster especially in club racing however, most are extremely basic inside and very pokey that why the resale value in about half that of even a modest Martz 35
Mahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 03:46   #24

Hi Mahe,

I enjoyed reading about your circumnavigation on Marinezine, love to hear some more!!

Old 26-09-2012, 17:02   #25

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to Eco Voyager Send a message via Skype™ to Eco Voyager
Re: Martzcraft 35

I know it is years later but hey I was wondering where all you guys are at now? Did you buy a Martzcraft 35 ... or something else? Are you happy with your choices. Gary, (Dinky) are you still out there cruising?

In the end I bought an Endurance 35 but the cutter version with the tall rig and despite lots of critisicm on this site of their windward performance and speed I am very happy with her. She points about 38 degrees to the wind, tacks really easily and goes well downwind too. She sails at 7 to 8 knots which is fine. In a rolly anchorage she does pitch a lot but once in a seaway she is totally at home. I love the solid feel of how she moves through the water. The airy nature of the pilothouse is superb. The rig is heavily stayed. Everything is built to take a hurricane. Only problem is I ran out of money so have not yet gone cruising .. but soon it will happen.

Yes I do miss the RL24 but I can get a buzz sailing dinghies at any sailing club pretty easily and my mate in Qld has a racing version RL24 if I get RL withdrawals again!
Eco Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 18:39   #26

Even though this is 4 years later I have to comment on lolanreg@smartc experience with slow Martzcraft in light air. I raced for years, a Laser, Mottle 33, RORC39, Spacesailor 24 and Blazer 23. 5 years ago I bought a Martzcraft 35 and entered it in a few inshore club races. Trimmed properly I found it could sail right up through the middle of the fleet which suprised me because I expected it to be slow. lolanreg@smartc's skipper might have had the boat overweight, out of balance or sails mistrimmed. 5 years later I still of the Martzcraft and its great.
Trek2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 19:14   #27

Does the Martzcraft 35 have a bolted keel?
usdivers61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 17:54   #28

I am keen to hear from the above \thread members if still sailing Martzcraft 35.
I am looking at putting in an offer for a Martzcraft 35 but a bit concerned about the sailing performance of a full keel boat and taking her on short passages from Sydney harbour to Jarvis Bay or up to Brisbane Waters.
Do you find it to be slow yes probably a more stable in heavy sea but slow in lighter winds?
Happy to private message if that is preferred but i am new to the forum.
Dave

Regards David
davethehippie is offline   Reply With Quote