Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2015, 16:03   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy HR352
Mariner 39 cc

First post, go easy on me!

My girlfriend and I have been looking for a potential live aboard with blue water capabilities the past few months and stumbled upon a Mariner 39' (not the Rob Perry one) in which we really like. The boat is reasonably priced and has a huge aft cabin which bodes well with the woman.

My question is how reliable are these boats and can it cross oceans comfortably, it seems only 29 were ever made so I'm sure information is scarce. Also we've been looking more in the Tayana 37s, 42, Spindrift 43', CSY 44 Walkover range- however this boat has a lot more live aboard appeal to us but we don't want to sacrifice the potential to cross oceans and go wherever we wish.

I'll provide some links that I have found with more info on the Mariners and the survey that was conducted on the boat I can email for those who wish to see it (too big to upload here). The survey doesn't seem too in depth either considering it wasn't hauled out and an engine surveyor wasn't present during the time of inspection. Thanks in advance! Cheers

MARINER 39 (BERRY & WHITE) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Boat Specs

Old 28-09-2015, 15:25   #2

Re: Mariner 39 cc

any help?

Old 28-09-2015, 15:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I don't know anything about those boats, but I do like the looks of her from the plans. Since they were originally ordered by The Moorings hopefully the specs were strong enough to deal with the charter trade, which means they should be strong enough for you.
A good, thorough survey is recommended.
Old 28-09-2015, 18:06   #4

Boat: Mariner 36

Lucidity, pm me and i'll talk Mariners with you. I use a cell phone to access the net. These little tiny alphabet buttons give my fingers cramps. I know a few things about these boats and I know Zora first hand. Long story short, great boats you will be well served to look closely at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-09-2015, 18:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I don't know anything about those boats, but I do like the looks of her from the plans. Since they were originally ordered by The Moorings hopefully the specs were strong enough to deal with the charter trade, which means they should be strong enough for you.
A good, thorough survey is recommended.

Thanks for the reply Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner36bob View Post
Lucidity, pm me and i'll talk Mariners with you. I use a cell phone to access the net. These little tiny alphabet buttons give my fingers cramps. I know a few things about these boats and I know Zora first hand. Long story short, great boats you will be well served to look closely at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Bob I'll send you a PM, appreciate the follow up and all the help!
Old 28-09-2015, 18:57   #6

Here is the link for the Mariner we are looking at.

Best Layout for Charter or Cruising Completely Renovated Sailboat Mariner 39 | eBay
Old 25-11-2015, 03:12   #7

Lucidity, did you get it?

I am surpised that the highest bid was just under $18K. I think that in good shape, even in today's moribund sailboat market, it definitely is worth somewhere in the 20s or even 30s.

Very capable vessel built by a company which fell a victim to the economics of the times and the marketplace's unwillingness/inability to pay for quality.

Mariner (NH) was overbuilding them and so had to get an above market price. As an example, in the early 80s brand new 36ft Catalinas were selling for $40-45K. Comparably equipped new Mariners 36 (from which hull Mariner 39 was made by extending the hull 3 feet, otherwise they're pretty much the same quality wise) were selling for $80-100K. And of course without the name-cache of a Hinckley or even a Sabre they could not fit in with the higher priced crowd. Nor could they afford to compete with Catalinas or Hunters. IMO they were a step or two above Odays, Cals and Pearsons (in themselves very good boats in general) but way above them in price as they did not have the advantage of being a volume producer nor the backing of any large money pockets to ride over the rough times.

Too bad the original Mariner builder, Jack Gogswell, who is still around and relatively young, in his 60s, never ventured back into the boat building business as he could have produced some interesting updated versions.

PS The company folded due to unfortunate set of converging circumstances. A friend of the builder who ran a charter operation in the Caribbean ordered on his good word a bunch of M39s for the charter trade, I think seven of them. So Jack started production relying on his friend who eventually could not come up with the finances due to early 80s recession, downturn in the charter trade, etc. And at the time there was no market for those M39s in which they could be sold for profit quickly.

Tags
marine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: