Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 11:42   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Mariner 31 - capable of sailing almost anywhere?

Hi all,

We are beginning to realize that my BF may be laid off. This is no certain thing but being a senior level professional in high tech, and having reached that "certain age" he is not likely to move on to another position comparable to where he is now.

So, if he should find himself at lose ends we will probably take the plunge and get cruising! The only trouble is that an early move will mean a budget for a boat that is reduced to about half what we hoped / intended.

So I am looking at various smaller/ older boats that will meet our budget and cruise needs.

To me what is a "dream boat" is any boat that gets us where we want to go in relative comfort, and safely with as little stress as is possible on the big blue.

Where we intend to go is....everywhere. At first we will build our skills through the sea of Cortez and probably onto the Caribbean. For the first few years any way. After that is onto the med, Baltic sea, Pacific islands etc. No real plan here just interest in everything and everywhere.

Anyway, we are seeking a boat that will meet this need on a very tiny budget. I mentioned comfort and to me this means a decent mattress in my berth. Bucket head is fine, no refrigeration is fine. We are fairly rugged accepting people

I have been looking at a wide range boats so my questions reflect the desire to discuss that one particular make, not reflective of every thought I have on boats. I have to put that disclaimer out there because I am sure some contrarian will find fault with this post.

In any case, I have been looking at Mariner 31 and 32s. I have been googling around and they seem to have a loyal following and some have gone quite far afield.

But I have also noticed that there are some problems with these boats that might actually keep them from being ideal.

One - cabin and deck rot / softness
Two - no springers under the deck stepped masts! Though owners have addressed this.
Three - deck to hull join

Any way - there is one boat out there right now that was re-built and outfitted for an extensive cruise. This was completed 2 years in the Pacific.
This boat is certainly attractive for already have been outfitted for extensive cruising but it might not be available at the time we go.

So I am wondering if we were to purchase a Mariner 31 in good / great condition and outfit it ourselves, how difficult and expensive would it be to re-enforce some of the issues noted by other owners.

after all we don't want to rebuild a boat as a hobby. But we are willing to spend a year making things right.

I have probably not addressed everything I should have because I am at work! But one thing to note, we have a dog and the companion way steps look navigable for him.

Thoughts appreciated.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:16   #2

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Mariner 31 - capable of sailing almost anywhere?

You might want to watch some of the YT videos of Atlantic crossings made in 30 foot boats.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:47   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not sure what your idea of almost anywhere is BUT if I were to sail to almost anywhere I would look towards a broadly speaking different design.

If you want to sail to far off places then get a strong reliable boat known to have no issues and one that sails very well.

I would also definitely buy a clean and sound boat - one that can be easily prepared for an extensive voyage in less than a year.

Big windows can be a liability, big cockpits can e a liability, small ketches may be less optimal than small sloops, etc. etc.

Make sure how you are going to use your boat then get exactly the right style of a boat.

Mariner is very shallow draft and so will be an asset if you want to potter along shallow coasts, enter creeks, etc. Big windows let in huge amt of light which makes for great living at anchor or at the dock. Voluminous cockpit is very nice if you want to spend plenty of time in it rather than inside (e.g. in tropics, semi-tropics, etc.)

Horses for the courses. :-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:56   #4

I think you noted the reasons not to go with a Mariner. History of cheap ply that rots and other issues etc. You need to find a basic boat that is strong and has a good reputation. Let us know a budget and many will have suggestions of possible boats.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:52   #5

Boat: CS 33

Sounds like you have the drive and dream to go. Perhaps have a look at this site to give you some other ideas. Good luck Peter Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
PDScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 15:47   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post

(...)

Where we intend to go is....everywhere. At first we will build our skills through the sea of Cortez and probably onto the Caribbean. For the first few years any way. After that is onto the med, Baltic sea, Pacific islands etc. No real plan here just interest in everything and everywhere.

(...)
It sounds you are West Coast based (?). If so, you may consider an alternative route: Cortez towards Pacific Islands then onwards to the Med and or Baltic. A route like this can be sailed mostly downwind and may be easier in a small boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 17:55   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Thanks for the input everyone. Yup, looks like the mariner is not for us. I was / am researching super low budget boats "just in case". Hopefully we actually have about 2 more years before we go. That will make a huge difference in the boat budget.

As for west around....

Well, circumnavigation is possible. But in truth we will probably bounce a lot with no aim in mind. East first to visit family in Europe. But it will probably be 4-5 years before we make any choice. We have a wonderful doggie companion. Until he goes, we probably won't go any further than Mexico.

Thanks again.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:44   #8

Boat: Alberg 35

Tartan 27, Cape Dory 28 or 30, Pearson Triton or Coaster, Rawson 30, Cheoy Lee 27 or 31, Bristol 27, Nicholson 31, Southern Cross or a Seawind. Any of those would get two people there and back. As with any extended sail - check the boat from keel to masthead. Keep the water out, mast up and fire in the right place.
Have fun!
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mariner 31 - capable of sailing almost anywhere?

The Cherubini designed Hunters from the early 80's are good boats.. under $10K for a decent one..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, sail, sailing