Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 21:16   #1

Boat: Prout Quest 33
Mariner 31'

Howdy Every

In my search for my first very own Bluewater capable cursing vessel I've looked at Triton, Cape Dory's and the list goes on. But one boat I keep going back to. The Mariner 31', I know they were built in Japan. I've seen there general spec's. I've even seen a few in my price range. I've tryed to do a search on the forum but keep getting unreleated postes...

So I'm requesting anyone with any information on the Mariner 31' or links to any sites that may sway me away or towards her, let me know.

: Ship like this, be with ya 'til the day you die.
: Yes Sir. Because it's a deathtrap.
: That's not... you are very much lacking in imagination.
: I imagine that's so, sir.
CaptainShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 21:56   #2

Boat: Islander 32
Exceptionally well designed and well built boats, from what little I know about them. I have never sailed on one, or even been on one, but I've seen one out sailing and it was impressive in it's sea-kindliness, and a real head turner for a cruising enthusiast. Everything I've heard about the Mariner 31 (admittedly 2nd hand) has been enthusiastically good. There usually spendy to buy (way over my meager budget), but, as with everything, you get what you pay for.
I guess you've already searched Mariner 31 on Google and found Mariner 31 and the reviews and comments available from the search engines.
THKeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 23:05   #3

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence
Mariners

Capt Shack,
Mariners are indeed great boats. Some of the first were built in wood, the rest are bullet proof glass hulls with glassed over plywood decks. The decks were their weakness. Many of the lower priced ones have deck rot issues. One of the things I like about the 31's and the 32's(they came out of the same mold), is that they draw only 3'8" but have 6'4" headroom in the cabin. I've just started a total rebuild on a 32 that I paid $1,500 for. I started a blog for the project;
| The rebuilding of a Mariner 32

Also check out the Mariner Owners Assoc. website. Lots of good info.
Good luck in your search.
Dan
San Juan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 23:25   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
The one I looked at 4 years ago had rot in the companionway trunk.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 13:03   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha,
Here's a link to the Association. All you've heard about dry rot being a concern is true. Having owned an all wood Mariner 35 for years I too was very concerned about dry rot and delamination. My transom started to delaminate (they used plywood). I've seen other owners completely rebuild cockpits and cabin tops because of dry rot.
Check the specifications of Tritons to compare hull length and LWL. You might find them to be a better choice in a good price.
I truly do love the Mariners but they do have that dry rot problem.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 21:52   #6

Boat: Prout Quest 33
Any Dry Rot in the decks should be found by the survey, correct?
I looked at the Triton, the headroom is just a bit small for me, and I think I fell in love with the ketch Rig honestly.

San Juan I'm going to be really keeping and eye on your blog, Best of luck to you.

: Ship like this, be with ya 'til the day you die.
: Yes Sir. Because it's a deathtrap.
: That's not... you are very much lacking in imagination.
: I imagine that's so, sir.
CaptainShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:11   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
A "good" surveyor should find all the dry rot. If you are sailing in dry areas (little rain) you should be able to prevent dry rot by keeping all above waterline painted or glassed over. Dry rot starts where freshwater can find a way to the plywood in the decks, trunk, cockpit, cabin sides and top so fittings need to have proper bedding and be freshly painted or varnished often.
Mariners are beautiful and I saw a really pretty one at the Moss Landing Marina this last year that made me fall in love with them again.
There are a couple of different versions. One I know of has a spoon bow with a bowsprit. Mine had a clipper bow with a bowsprit. The clipper bow version has a bit less room below than the spoon bow version if the LOD is the same.
Good luck in your search.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote