Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2006, 02:28   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Lid Seal

I had no problem with the lid seal in 3 years use.
The only reason for the seal is so that the suction from the pump will bring a small amount of water into the bowl at the end of the cycle.
If the seal did not work then a small amount of water could be poured into the bowl.
If the pump is of the same size as a bilge pump then a spare is available.
I have no experience with holding tanks, but I would expect that the vent would need to be of sufficient size to stop any sort of vacuum occurring.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 03:06   #17

Tigerlilys crapper problem

C'mon you buggers,Tigerlily did ask a bonified Question.I think what they are all trying to say is. The price of putting in a HEAD is Questionable to who actually does it.They may talk about changing this shitter to that shitter and the different types of thru hulls and what not,but I think their just basicaly saying IT VERIES.I myself thought it just to be American humour,but no.There is a KIWI in there too.Tigerlily I carnt help you also,being an OZZIE we just dig big holes anywhere we can on a boat ,put a tin roof over it ,and call it a DUNNY.But if we were to get somebody else to do it they would probably charge (a carton of beer)And call it a head,allbeit a lavtac...
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 10:39   #18

Thanks for summarizing all that, I was starting to get lost in the jargon. I still don't know what a La...vac is. I see how this can get very complicated with people from different countries trying to talk about the same thing with different words. At least I know what to say when I am in the land down under.
Tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 10:56   #19

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Head Mistress

is a recognized expert and has a new book that will be of interest to you. http://shop.beneteauowners.net/books...ku=90&cat=1304

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 12:51   #20

If the the toilet is call the head if it is installed at the front of the boat what would you call the toilet if it was installed at the back of the boat
Old 16-01-2006, 13:58   #21

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
"pooper"
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 17:10   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
A lavac is...

A Lavac is a toilet that operates by sucking the waste from the toilet bowl using a large diaphram bilge pump.
The water that we are accustomed to finding in the bowl at the start of the process is brought in by means of a partial vacuum.
This partial vacuum occurs because there is a seal on the lid which becomes effective when the lid is lowered. (no leaving the toilet seat up)
Anecdotal evidence would suggest that they are among the most reliable marine toilets.
All those stories about the happy cruiser spending his day head down in the bilge fixing the toilet do not seem to mention the Lavac.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 18:00   #23
Kai Nui

Tigerlily, My original price list is the basics to install a moderate quality compliant marine head where no previously existed. The Lavac is a high quality toilet manufactured by Taylors/Lavac in the UK, and is perported to be far superior. This related to my statement that the price can vary. It is possible to buy a toilet for $150 as opposed to $315. The Lavac runs from $400-$1100. (thats USD for the KIWIs ) You can get more elaborate, with MSD's (marine sanitation devices) that process the waste so it can be legally discharged withing the three mile limit (except in no discharge zones. You can use bigger holding tanks. You can spend as much as you want, but for a basic, US coast guard compliant (this means it has a holding tank) system, the off the shelf numbers should get you into a good system. Ultimately, I would like to replace the Raritan toilet with a Lavac, hence my questions about the Lavac. I thought they might be helpful in your decision about what to install as well. As for terminology, the West Marine Catalog calls them "heads", so that is what I called them. Sorry to create confusion over terms, but if you are shopping for parts, and ask for a marine head, you will get a toilet. Also, if you want to look at a basic plumbing design for a marine sanitation system, the West Marine catalog has several different options explaining all the components and their functions. As this is the 5th sanitation system I have designed and installed on one of my boats, if you have any specific questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.
Let me know how big your boat is, and what sort of use you anticipate, as well as how many crew you will have on board, and I can help you size the system.
Old 16-01-2006, 18:38   #24

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Has anyone installed a bidet

I've considered installing one for those long cold cruises. It sure would save on shower water. And with the heated ones, the women would love.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes."
—Andy Rooney
........................................_/)
delmarrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 19:09   #25
Kai Nui

Ah man!!! Not bidets again Not too sure about the shower idea. Are you implying something?
Old 16-01-2006, 19:32   #26

Quote:
Kai Nui once whispered in the wind:
Are you implying something?
It's just that in weather like today (raining icewater) one doesn't really want to shower and a biget would be a space saver as well as convienent aboard a boat.

I looked at a new 42' Beneteau last week. That thing had three heads with showers. What the hell does someone need with three heads on a 42'er unless your taking out a bunch of sickly people.
Old 16-01-2006, 19:38   #27
Kai Nui

Just so you were not implying something about the location of my head
I agree with you. even on a charter boat that seems excessive. But then again, the production boat people have some interesting ideas about what sells. I have to admit that I am curious about the unit you pictured. Is this designed for a boat? Or is it an RV unit installed in a boat. Not that it wouldn't work, just curious.
Old 16-01-2006, 19:59   #28

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Finding the toilet in NZ

Kai Nui, the pub in Coromandel is very helpful in this regard. There is a large arrow pointing the way and a sign that says " Used beer department "
My redneck tractor buddies and I agree, if you can not take a leak outside in broard daylight, then you do not own enough land.
I probably should have said at the outset, I do not know anything about the original question.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 20:06   #29
Kai Nui

Sounds like we growed up in the same neighborhoos Michael I got redneck tractor buddies too.
FWIW, the original question was what does it cost to install a head on a boat. The bidet idea lends to my statement that you can spend as much as you want.
Old 16-01-2006, 20:15   #30

That's a home unit, but they make seat attachments that do the same thing. I'm sure if one were to probe they might find an RV unit or at least a 12V system somewhere......................_/)

Bidet's

Tags
marine head