Congratulations! I assumed you purchased "Enrichment" from the Sailing Life. You got a good deal and should be happy with it. You should refurbish that really cool windlass
...we were going to keep that one on as a backup..then install an electric
one directly behind it. We brought our boat down from Blaine, WA-to our home port of Newport
, Or (in December!) Me and 3 of my pals left Blaine and had a wonderful sail out the Strait of Juan de Fuca w/ 15-25 kt SE winds...We ran wing on wing about 81/2 kts.
to Neah Bay. Neah BAy is very interesting town. First of all, its a dry town. Secondly, it is a reservation. Now, my friends and I, are not easily intimidated...well traveled and of the strong fisherman sort. We were definitely intimidated in Neah Bay...Blankly, we couldn't wait to get the "F" outta there! The forecast
was for 15-25 knts S Easterly...switching to South 25-30kts..then shortly after midnight...switching to Westerly 15-20. Then, the following morning switching to NWesterly 15-25......Our plan was to wait for the west winds..get out the Straight..then sail South...BUT @ around 2:00 in the afternoon..we thought we'd get the hell outta town..and just buck into it for a few hours. They called for 15-25 kts South...well everything went according to plaln until....the 15-25 changed to 45-60 knots South right on our nose!!!! Now, we know, as locals of the Pacific NW,,,that the last place u want to be on earth, is in the Pacific NW, in the dead of winter, in a Southerly...right off of Cape Flattery. So, here we were in the Pacific NW, off of Cape Flattery..in a 60 kt southerly! Then we started sinking. The center board clamp, which was installed w/ improper sized bolts, malfunctioned. One of these unfitting bolts, sheared off and was squirting water
into the bilge
. Just when I was about to turn around and put the boat up for sale
..and consider a motor
switched West 15-20. UNBELIEVABLE! The bilge
was keeping up w/ the leak..we shook out our triple reefed main, and continued sailing South. The next morning the wind
shifted as forecasted to NW 15-25. We sailed with a poled out Genoa
...for about 20 hrs....and then lost
most of our wind, and ended up motoring the rest of the way to Newport
. The whole trip took us about 3 days...or 36 hrs from Cape Flattery. The Mapleleaf 42 footer is an outstanding sea going vessel. What it lacks in speed in makes up in stabillity. With the centerboard
down (which makes a HUGE difference) I feel confident that she can take anything the ocean might throw at her.