Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2007, 13:34   #46

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
[quote=eskfreedom]I dont know if the hull is cored or not. I talked to the owner yesterday. He said three years ago he pulled her out a ther were no blisters. He was worried about getting them so he stripped her down to the glass and put a new gelcoat on her..quote]

Yo ESK,

it is troubling that the owner claims to have done an extremely expensive job if there were no blisters. Makes no sense. I'd want to see a copy of an earlier survey before proceeding with this.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 16:16   #47

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
By "genny" you are probably talking about a generator? A "genny" where I sail is a Genoa Jib. Sometimes reading posts is confusing because of the terminology.

Kind Regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:13   #48

Boat: Maple Leaf 42 Sloop--Viaggio
Hello folks,

We are new to the forum, but wanted to join the discussion. We purchased a Maple Leaf 42 in December and have been learning all sorts of things as we get her fixed up. Ours is a fixed keel instead of a centerboard, but otherwise looks quite similar to the boat under discussion here.

Best wishes,
Sue and Scott
swabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:21   #49
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
I've heard of a Wankel engine but what's a "Wanker?".............I always want to have at least another term in my vocabulary.
Well, it's been a week and no one has yet enlightened you.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:42   #50

Aloha David,
Is it one of those British English terms? Some of those just throw me. Your Queen's in Kentucky watching the derby today.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 05-05-2007, 11:42   #51

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"
Wanker

Having spent many hours listening to my Brit auto mechanic I believe "wanker" is the term Brits use for the appendage young boys to old men are constantly trying to find a warm place for.

hglad
hglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:08   #52

Boat: between boats
Send a message via AIM to manny
congrats. i was in mexico about 8 yrs. ago and had a chance to sail on a maple. can't remembsr her size but i was impressed. also, just yesterday i read about 4 pages on swing keels in one of these threads. i also crew on a frers44 w/swing keel and, so far, no problems.
manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 22:34   #53

Thanks guys, for the info. I spent the day with the owner rigging up the sails. Tuesday we are going on sea trials. Wensday we are doing the survey and Friday we close "after we negotiate the price". He wanted $99500 I offered $92 and he accepted but after thinking about all the money for fixing and updating. I am going to offer between 82-86 depending on the survey. Iam confident he will accepte. I am glad at least one of you guys knows what a wanker is or else we would be in trouble. Swabbot, I would verry much like to discuse your boat with you. So send me a private messege.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:30   #54

Boat: Stevens 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hglad
Having spent many hours listening to my Brit auto mechanic I believe "wanker" is the term Brits use for the appendage young boys to old men are constantly trying to find a warm place for.

hglad
actually wanker describes a person who spends too many hours "playing" with said appendage rather than the appendage itself.........although now it has been co-opted to be used in several colorful ways with different meanings....as in..."ya bloody wanker" meaning "you jerk"....or..."he was wanking on and on about it" meaning "he was going on and on about it"...you get the picture....slightly derogatory but not meant to be REALLY offensive...just a little bit.......depends whether it is accompanied with a mischevious grin or not...
Old 07-05-2007, 07:09   #55

NEGOTIATIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskfreedom
..Friday we close "after we negotiate the price". He wanted $99500 I offered $92 and he accepted but after thinking about all the money for fixing and updating. I am going to offer between 82-86 depending on the survey. Iam confident he will accepte.
Yo Esk,

I have never heard of this method of negotiating before--where you agree on a price, then change your mind and make a lower offer.

Now if something unexpected shows up on the survey, the seller can either discount the price by the amount of the boatyard's estimate, or you can negotiate something fair for you both. Otherwise "fixing and updating" is on you. Be sure to get separate rigging and engine surveys, usually prior to the hull survey. You might want a sailmaker to checkout the sails as well. And checkout the credibility of the surveyors. This can save you big $$$. Good luck.

best, andy
Old 07-05-2007, 11:13   #56

Aloha All,

ESK, Good luck on your new purchase.

Thanks for all the wanker definitions. I am becoming educated in the finer points of the English language.

JohnL
Old 08-05-2007, 21:46   #57

Talked to an owner yesterday who sailed one of these around the world twice. He said you have to do a rudder mod or ML's wont go down wind. He estimated the mod at around 8-10k. Given the 40k we estimated to upgrade to modern standards. The extra 10k killed the deal for me. We canceled the survey and backed out of the deal this morning. It wasnt just the money. We were compromising on a lot of things. The gally was two short for my wife, the engine was hard to work on, there was no deck storage, small nav station and the bed was small. Not to mention all the stuff she needed: instruments, life raft, watermaker, dinghy, solar panels, gps, ssb, hatches, windlass. ext.. ext.. So If any of ya know of similer boat in that price rang let me know. We looked all night at boats and found that the Kelly Peterson 44' is a great boat. My wife and I personaly dont like the standerd "cave" layout. We want a light and airy spacious boat for us and our kids. We are willing to sacrafice a little performance for space. Any and all advice is verry much appreciated.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:37   #58
cruiser

Maple leaf

I once listed a boat with a couple of brokers , one in the US, and one in BC. I later found out from people looking for a boat, that both were talking people out of buying my boat , while they were keeping me from selling it myself. They each had a whole marina full of boats which they would rather sell ,as they all had higher price tags and thus paid higher commisions .
I later found an ex broker who wanted me to work for him. I offered 100 hours of work if he would find me a buyer. He only had one boat to sell and put everything into it. He sold it in no time to a very happy owner , who put many miles on her befoe building another one of my designs.
I'll never trust another broker.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 23:16   #59

Just a little update on our boat buying. Went up to Canada and looked at another M.L. that already had the rudder mod done and sailed around the world. They had it hauled out and fresh bottom paint. They asked for 118k we put in an offer at 108k they accepted. We had a survey done that day wich found some deck delamation. The next day we relaunched and went for a sail. Counter offered 105k shook hands and bought the boat. "Stepping Stone" will be ours in about two weeks. Crazy A.
Old 25-05-2007, 07:49   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskfreedom
Just a little update on our boat buying. Went up to Canada and looked at another M.L. that already had the rudder mod done and sailed around the world. They had it hauled out and fresh bottom paint. They asked for 118k we put in an offer at 108k they accepted. We had a survey done that day wich found some deck delamation. The next day we relaunched and went for a sail. Counter offered 105k shook hands and bought the boat. "Stepping Stone" will be ours in about two weeks. Crazy A.
Yo Esk,

congratulations! How about posting a few photos of your new boat?

best, andy