Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 09:08   #1

Manufactur maintence manuals

Hello all,
Im a proud new owner of a 1984 laguna 22.
Its my first sailboat and i am learning how to sail on it (well i will be once i get it in working order). Im fairly savy with maintence and such being a aircraft tech for the past 6 years but, being so i have come to enjoy maintence manuals and ipc's. Now i have look around the net and haven't been able to find any conclusive info on how such manuals would be aquired. I would mostly like the laguna manual on the hual and electical (the motor is no problem) the electrical isnt really either but i wouls still like it.

To sum it up i am looking for a 1984 laguna 22 maintence manual.

Thanks
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 15:38   #2

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: Manufactur maintence manuals

Good luck with that, it seems that boat manufacturers don't think anyone will ever work on their boats.. I have seen very few manufacturers who even provide plumbing, electrical etc information for the boats they build. One real exception is Cabo Rico, they provide complete drawings of every system, which is great until someone makes a change or adds something and does not update the drawings.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 04:15   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Manufactur maintence manuals

Dave pretty much said word-for-word what I was thinking when I read your post.

There is some hope though. Many manufacturers provide a pretty good overall layout of the boat and where the plumbing and wire chases go, sometimes even a basic schematic of the factory wiring. Handy for locating things, but that only goes so far.

What you really need is a library of manuals for all the individual components. These sometimes get stripped during the selling process, either by the PO or the salesman, trying to make the boat look "clean". Or maybe the PO never did any maintenance and never kept the manuals.

After three years of collecting, I'm pretty much where I want to be, with manuals for almost every component on board, from the main engines to the battery-operated work light. All in both printed and electronic form.

Many are available on line, others you may find if you ask specifically here, or on an owner's forum or other such site.

Good luck. It's amazing how much overlap there is between the boating and aviation communities. You'll fit right in.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, manuals